A fan of new Knizia games
Roger will be providing a report on his new arrival, I'll just pen some thoughts on the differences between this and it's daddy, Airlines.
* 1 starting share: better
* starting trains on the board: better
* no route numbers on the board/cards: much better
* reduced flight route/track types: better, but they are a bit hard to distinguish in Union Pacific
* ability to play a single of two types of shares: much better
* wertung distribution: much better
* components: much better
* Union Pacific shares: wow, hand management! The main reason I now have to upgrade my Airlines!
* Railway theme: seems to work better than an airline theme.
Roger Smith writes:
Doug: $123 mil
Craig Mc: $112 mil
Roger: $102 mil
Janet: $86 mil
The Extrablatt line-up moved straight on to UP. Doug has already posted a few thoughts on this in a prior message. This was a new game for all of us: my FunAgain order had in fact only arrived that afternoon. Doug and Janet are Airlines veterans whereas I had only played once before and Craig Mc had never played. I found it similar in style to Stimmt So! and Get the Goods, although it is obviously more involving. There was some initial confusion with a couple of the card colours: Craig Mc had been happily placing brown trains on the board which he assumed matched the [red] cards he was holding! I had some problem distinguishing tracks. At one stage I tried to place a yellow train and Doug pointed out to me that it was the wrong track. Unfortunately the same applied for two previous trains I'd played... A solid game with a tight system.
Roger's rating: 7.5