Recommend
30 
 Thumb up
 Hide
63 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

Age of Industry Expansion: Great Lakes & South Africa» Forums » News

Subject: Self-Publication of the Great Lakes Map rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Claude Sirois
Canada
Quebec City
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
AUGUST 2013 UPDATE : The Preorder Campaign described here was held in May/June 2012 in order to ensure I could sell most of the 250 units of the AOI boards I was planning to produce. With the participation of BGG and the fact that the boards will be available at the BoardGameGeek Store in a larger quantity, it is not necessary to preorder the maps anymore. You can just order the boards directly to the BGG Store when they are available. As soon as I have a date of availability, I will post the information on the Age of Industry Expansion: Great Lakes & South Africa and Age of Industry Expansion: Belgium & USSR pages.

Thanks for your support!

K



I'm happy to announce that I'm planning to self-publish the Great Lakes Map as an expansion for AOI!!!

After a few weeks of research, I've finally found a printer willing to print a small print run (250) of mounted boards which would include the Great Lakes map and another map that will be determined later (more on that below).

Preorder Campaign :

Before to start the print, I want to ensure that there is a demand for this expansion. That's why I'm doing a preorder campaign from now until June 24th. The success of that preorder campaign will determine if I go to print or not. 200 preorders are necessary to go to print!

If you're interested to preorder this expansion, send me an email to :

aoimaps (at) gmail (dot) com

I'll confirm reception of email to everybody. In your email, please indicate your country (and State for USA).

No payment will be required until the print is launched (by Paypal).

Date of release :

No official date for now. Early fall might be possible if everything goes well.

A second map chosen by YOU! :

In addition to the Great Lakes map, this expansion would also feature one of the 2 maps I'm currently developing : Soviet Union or South Africa. If the preorder campaign goes well, in a few weeks, I will do a survey on this game page to ask whether you prefer the Soviet Union or the South Africa map. To help you make your choice, I will post rules and prototype of both maps in the file section shortly. You will be able to read the rules and even playtest the map if you want to.

A Mounted Board :

The board I'm planning to produce will fit in your AOI box. However, it will be thinner (1.5 mm instead of 2 mm) and smaller (around 18 X 24 inches) than the original AOI board. I would have liked to produce exactly the same kind of board as the base game and the expansion #1, but it's impossible with a production of less than 1000 boards (something I can't do of course).

Cost :

The final cost of the expansion has to be confirmed. It will depends on the number of preorder as well as the second map that will be chosen (the Soviet Union is a little bit more expensive to produce since it has a few extra components). However, my goal is to keep the expansion at 30$ or below (excluding shipping).

Components :

In addition to the rules and the double-sided board, you will get 5 special colour cards « +3$ profit » for the Great Lakes expansion as well as all extra components needed for the Soviet Union map (Influence track tokens and USSR planning Display) if that map is chosen. The South Africa map doesn't require extra components.

Edit : It is possible to play without the USSR Planning Display (which consist of 2 rows of card) so I won't provide it with the board. However, it will be available in Print and Play for those who are interested to play with it. It's in Legal format, so very easy to print.

Only One print :

If you're interested to have this expansion on a mounted board, don't hesitate to preorder right now. I will do only ONE print run.


If you have any more question, I'll be happy to answer! I'll keep you posted on the preorder campaign.

Thanks in advance!

Claude Sirois
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Totally awesome! Let me just say that Claude's maps are truly wonderful. Jump on it!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Izzo
Italy
Bologna
BO
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

How about shipping cost?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claude Sirois
Canada
Quebec City
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ZetaZeta wrote:

How about shipping cost?


This is not a final price but estimation I’ve got from Post Canada was around 10-12$ for USA and 16-17$ for Europe and other countries. Shipping to Canada should be a few dollars less than US.

If I don’t have any surprise, I might be able to reduce the cost of the expansion, so the overall cost would be reduced accordingly.

However, as you probably know, I don’t have any control on customs fees you might have to pay when you receive the board.

K

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Components :

In addition to the rules and the double-sided board, you will get 5 special colour cards « +3$ profit » for the Great Lakes expansion as well as all extra components needed for the Soviet Union map (Influence track tokens and USSR planning Display) if that map is chosen. The South Africa map doesn't require extra components.


No extra components, please! South Africa FTW.

I don't see the point of extra cards for Great Lakes.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claude Sirois
Canada
Quebec City
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
NateStraight wrote:


No extra components, please! South Africa FTW.

I don't see the point of extra cards for Great Lakes.


You’re right, extra cards are not necessary given you can use the color cards of the deck. However, since the Great Lakes board is available to download in the file section, I wanted to offer a little extra which has a minor impact on the price.

K
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Taylor
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Klode wrote:
NateStraight wrote:


No extra components, please! South Africa FTW.

I don't see the point of extra cards for Great Lakes.


You’re right, extra cards are not necessary given you can use the color cards of the deck. However, since the Great Lakes board is available to download in the file section, I wanted to offer a little extra which has a minor impact on the price.

K


Price will be high enough (relatively, due to a small print run) as is. Even a minor increase is probably not worth it.

I was expecting these would all be available for free print-and-play as well. I would be happy to get a nicely printed board version, but not at the expense of limiting its exposure to only those who could afford the board version.

Thanks for offering to print up some copies claude! It's a nice service.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alysa
Netherlands
Zoetermeer area
flag msg tools
Garfield
badge
Never trust a smiling Garfield!
Avatar
Klode wrote:
NateStraight wrote:


No extra components, please! South Africa FTW.

I don't see the point of extra cards for Great Lakes.


You’re right, extra cards are not necessary given you can use the color cards of the deck. However, since the Great Lakes board is available to download in the file section, I wanted to offer a little extra which has a minor impact on the price.

K


And what will those extra cards do exactly?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claude Sirois
Canada
Quebec City
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I get your point Greg. I didn't want to "punish" people who have already printed the map and are happy with it. I just thought that some people would want more than just the board printed.

However, if most of the people are not interested by extra cards, I'm fine with that. That would mean less work for me and a lower cost of production.

Aenea wrote:

And what will those extra cards do exactly?


During setup, you draw randomly 2 color cards (from the 5 colors available on the board). These two cards indicate what color regions will bring an additional 3$ profit (compared to the amount indicated on Player display) each time a counter is flipped.

Since 2 cards/color are removed from the deck at the beginning of the game, it is not absolutely necessary to provide those extra cards. You can use the card that are removed from the deck to do the draw.

K
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely not interested in the cards. I just want your mounted board. As you say, they're completely unnecessary since you're taking cards out of the deck anyway.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alysa
Netherlands
Zoetermeer area
flag msg tools
Garfield
badge
Never trust a smiling Garfield!
Avatar
NateStraight wrote:
Definitely not interested in the cards. I just want your mounted board. As you say, they're completely unnecessary since you're taking cards out of the deck anyway.


Exactly...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claude Sirois
Canada
Quebec City
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I appreciate your feedback guys! Thanks.

K
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maciek Obszanski
Poland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So, You won't upload final boards for Soviet Union and South Africa ? Only chance to get it is this preorder ? soblue
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Palmerex wrote:
So, You won't upload final boards for Soviet Union and South Africa ? Only chance to get it is this preorder ? soblue


That doesn't seem to be the implication at all. He's putting both up for playtest once they're ready, and he's not taking down the Great Lakes map, after all. I wouldn't worry [but I don't know].
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claude Sirois
Canada
Quebec City
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Palmerex wrote:
So, You won't upload final boards for Soviet Union and South Africa ? Only chance to get it is this preorder ? soblue


Maciek,

My objective is not to limit the number of people who would play those expansions, but to offer, to those who are interested, the possibility to have a real board featuring those maps.

My initial motivation in offering to do a small print run of mounted boards was to have a real board myself because I'm a gamer first, not an editor or a publisher. I can understand that paying for a mounted board is not for everybody and I respect that. I don't have any problem if people print the map and have fun with the game. I didn't develop those maps for money, but because I was having fun doing it!!

The Great Lakes map is still available for download and I don't have any plan to remove it. However, if I can go ahead with the expansion, I'm gonna spend a lot of time working on its publication and finalizing the second map in the next weeks. I thought I could post the final maps once the expansion if finished.

Having said that, I hope I won't discourage people preordering the expansion. As a gamer, I frankly hope to have enough people interested by a mounted board to do the print run especially because I'm dreaming of having my own board mounted.

The versions of the 2 maps I'm planning to post in the next couple of days are not final and won't be visually appealing. They are posted to give an idea of the game to people to help them make their choice. Final versions will come later.

Claude
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Great initiative! I just sent you an order for two boards!

And here's a vote for SU with the additional stuff. I always welcome more stuff ... meeple

Good luck!
Ron.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicol Stéphane
France
chateaugiron FRANCE
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Great news. I'm in !thumbsup
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
◄ əpıʌɐp ►
Italy
Bologna
BO
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Klode wrote:
I'm happy to announce that I'm planning to self-publish the Great Lakes Map as an expansion for AOI!!!

Please, tell me you're kidding.

Today I received the Great Lakes map I've printed with Artscow... cry
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claude Sirois
Canada
Quebec City
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Bayushi Sezaru wrote:
Klode wrote:
I'm happy to announce that I'm planning to self-publish the Great Lakes Map as an expansion for AOI!!!

Please, tell me you're kidding.

Today I received the Great Lakes map I've printed with Artscow... cry


I'm sincerely sorry. blush I've been working on that for a couple of weeks now but I couldn't announce anything before to have a price for the board from a printer and Martin Wallace's approval to go with the print. I know you're not the only one, but I couldn't do faster.

However, I'm sure you don't have the second map printed!

K
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Just out of curiosity- aren't there legal issues with publishing and selling an expansion for another companies game?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claude Sirois
Canada
Quebec City
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Zaphod wrote:
Just out of curiosity- aren't there legal issues with publishing and selling an expansion for another companies game?


I'm not an expert, but legally, I think you must get a license from the company and sometimes pay royalties to the author. Moreover, in my case, I use official images of the game so I can't use them in a map I'm selling without Treefrog's approval. Anyway, I've never taken any chance and always asked Martin before to post any file using images of the game on BGG, even though it was for personal use only.

So in this case, I'm publishing the map with Martin's consent. And I thank him very much for letting me do it!!

K
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maciek Obszanski
Poland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Klode wrote:
Palmerex wrote:
So, You won't upload final boards for Soviet Union and South Africa ? Only chance to get it is this preorder ? soblue


I thought I could post the final maps once the expansion if finished.

They are posted to give an idea of the game to people to help them make their choice. Final versions will come later.

Claude


Ok. I will wait

If I hadn't my printed copy, I would preorder
For everyone who thinks about it: don't calculate, take it! It's great map, Klode made wonderful job. Fully recomended ! cool
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Waltier
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In for this and either country for the second map.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
◄ əpıʌɐp ►
Italy
Bologna
BO
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Klode wrote:
I'm sincerely sorry. blush I've been working on that for a couple of weeks now but I couldn't announce anything before to have a price for the board from a printer and Martin Wallace's approval to go with the print. I know you're not the only one, but I couldn't do faster.

However, I'm sure you don't have the second map printed!

K

No need to apologize, of course!

I had read an old post of yours where you stated you were thinking about a self publishing for the map... so I kept waiting!

Then, a couple of weeks ago I decided I couldn't pass on an offer by Artscow on stretched canvases and I pulled the trigger... shake

I guess now I won't resist ordering your maps!

Davide

P.S.: For all the people out there who have not tried Klode's map: it plays wonderfully and really makes AoI a great 2-player game! Don't pass on this occasion!!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claude Sirois
Canada
Quebec City
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your good words guys!! blush

Bayushi Sezaru wrote:


I had read an old post of yours where you stated you were thinking about a self publishing for the map... so I kept waiting!

Then, a couple of weeks ago I decided I couldn't pass on an offer by Artscow on stretched canvases and I pulled the trigger... shake

I guess now I won't resist ordering your maps!

Davide

P.S.: For all the people out there who have not tried Klode's map: it plays wonderfully and really makes AoI a great 2-player game! Don't pass on this occasion!!


Davide, it took me a lot of time because it is very difficult to find a printer ready to print a small quantity of boards like that. Most of the time, the minimum quantity is 1000. I would have liked to conclude that before but it was not possible.

TwentySides wrote:
In for this and either country for the second map.


Jake have you sent me an email? I don't find one at your name.

K
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.