Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shawn Curlis
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Having only played the game three times I don’t think I have enough play time to do a full review so here are my first impressions. Plus in all three plays I got at least one rule wrong each time. modest
I play the majority of my Command and Color games with my 7 year old son. We both greatly enjoy Memoir 44 and Battlelore, so when we saw giant robots we were both sold.

Let's start out with what I really enjoy about the game.
d10-1 The models for the Links and infantry are great. Detailed and there are lots of figures that come with the game.
d10-2 The 3d terrain. It looks good on the board but has been called ugly in a few threads. I sort of like it but more on it later.
d10-3 Weapon system cards. These are a great idea and force you to make some tough decisions. Using them to respond to an attack and possibly damage your opponent on defense is a welcome change. But if you run out you can no longer do any ranged attacks.

Now onto the parts I am not really sure about yet but may grow on me.
d10-1 The activation dice. I don’t like them. They add too much randomness and remove the ability to effectively plan ahead. With a hand of cards I can at least see how the next couple turns could play out even with a couple bad draws.
d10-2 The 3d terrain. As stated above it looks nice but only functions as walls to create corridors. Yes they add choices as to where to position your team but leave so many potential tactical opportunities out.
For instance why can’t infantry go into villages and cities? Give them a +1 defense bonus with Links being unable to enter them at all. Or the links could be handled like tanks in Memoir 44. That would give them a defense bonus with a loss of offensive power. The terrain should have played a bigger role in the game.
d10-3 Line of sight for ranged attacks. Another simplification with removing different ranges for different pieces. Everyone has a range of 5 regardless if it is a heavy Link or infantry. Add to that the LOS is orthogonal and diagonal only and you have to think about where you place your pieces.

With only three games my impressions will more than likely change. My son enjoys it as well and I am happy to play it with him any time. Perhaps after I get a few more plays in I may write my first actual review.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanks Alot
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
go2 Youtube Historical Gaming
mbmbmbmbmb
Ive been looking at this game for a while. Still on the fence. I usually enjoy anything by borg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
killerTree wrote:

Now onto the parts I am not really sure about yet but may grow on me.
d10-1 The activation dice. I don’t like them. They add too much randomness and remove the ability to effectively plan ahead. With a hand of cards I can at least see how the next couple turns could play out even with a couple bad draws.
d10-2 The 3d terrain. As stated above it looks nice but only functions as walls to create corridors. Yes they add choices as to where to position your team but leave so many potential tactical opportunities out.
For instance why can’t infantry go into villages and cities? Give them a +1 defense bonus with Links being unable to enter them at all. Or the links could be handled like tanks in Memoir 44. That would give them a defense bonus with a loss of offensive power. The terrain should have played a bigger role in the game.
d10-3 Line of sight for ranged attacks. Another simplification with removing different ranges for different pieces. Everyone has a range of 5 regardless if it is a heavy Link or infantry. Add to that the LOS is orthogonal and diagonal only and you have to think about where you place your pieces.

Just a quick few comments on your "cons."
I have played three games, and have the game set up on the table right now and am getting ready to play it again in a few minutes.

1. I love the Activation Dice, but then, I love randomness AND dice. For me, it is a marriage made in heaven.
2. The 3D terrain. Yeah, I am not too fond of it either, which is why I am doing a bit of altering to my game (watch for photos in a day or two). I mean, they serve the purpose, but I just felt they needed some pimping.
3. I like the simple LOS. As a chess player, I only have to think "Queen", and I know what to look for. I also like that I don't have to remember a lot of stats for different pieces. All the ranges are 5. Can't get much simpler than that. The Weapons cards are designed to change a units firing range/capability. That works for me.

Anyway, maybe the game will grow on you, as your article says. I hope so. This is a really fun game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Life is too short not to live it up a little!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, guys! I saw Mr. Borg at Origins today and he gave us a quick rundown of how the game works. Looks very cool as all of his games do! I'm a big fan!

After seeing Samurai Battles at another booth, I have to ask. Do the giant robots in Abaddon require assembly? The Samurai figs require assembly, gluing, etc., maybe more than I want to get into. What about the 'bots? Should I be concerned?

THANKS!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Mink

Indiana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No assembly for Abaddon.Just a small task of putting labels on the links and the dice, but nothing nearly involved as C&C Ancients.

Just got back from trip to Origins from Indianapolis. Already had Abaddon, but picked up the Samauri game. The pieces don't exactly snap together, but nothing a spot of glue won't fix.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Life is too short not to live it up a little!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Thomas! I stickered a LOT of C&C:A blocks, so it's good to know I don't have THAT to look forward to!

I'll likely spring for Abaddon, but those darned samurai look awfully small to me...(yeah, the fact that I'm hitting 60 this summer doesn't help)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cedric Chong
Singapore
flag msg tools
comic style
badge
comic style
mbmbmbmbmb
killerTree wrote:

I agree. Indeed as you said, having cards on hand, at least gives you some tactical options and opportunity to plan. Since the card is in your hand. You know you can execute the action.

However, in practice until now, it appears that you generally roll enough dice to get the units you want activated, if not this turn, then the next. Assuming you're willing to use the Command dice.

So the difference is:
With cards on hand - you know you can do this action, and plan for it for the next 1-2 turns.
With dice - you make general tactical plans and hope you roll the dice you need.

Statistically, which is more likely to happen?
1. Having a pile of cards from the same flank all stacked at the bottom of the draw pile. Hence making it extremely difficult to plan units on that flank.

OR
2. Not rolling a certain Link color 3-4 times in a row. AND not rolling Command.

Not sure about which is more likely to happen statistically. But in scenario 1, if it happen, would screw up your game, since one-third of your battlefield is gone.

But for scenario 2, since the links can be anywhere on the map, not being able to activate a certain Link-color may not be that bad. You still can cover up with other links. Of course, if you're playing scenarios where you have 4 Red, and 0 Black, and you keep rolling Blacks... well.

Would need more plays to tell which one I prefer.

killerTree wrote:

This is a very good idea! Fits the theme as well.

killerTree wrote:

I have no problem with the 5 range rule, but...

I face challenge with the rules initially because of this orthogonal and diagonal only line-of-sight.

It doesn't make any sense! These are futuristic, expensive, high-tech robots we're talking about here.. Say an enemy is 2 spaces infront, and 1 space to the right of you. You can see it, but you can target it? I mean come on, it's right there.

I'm still in denial.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toy Vault Inc.
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmb
maxixe wrote:
killerTree wrote:

I agree. Indeed as you said, having cards on hand, at least gives you some tactical options and opportunity to plan. Since the card is in your hand. You know you can execute the action.

However, in practice until now, it appears that you generally roll enough dice to get the units you want activated, if not this turn, then the next. Assuming you're willing to use the Command dice.

So the difference is:
With cards on hand - you know you can do this action, and plan for it for the next 1-2 turns.
With dice - you make general tactical plans and hope you roll the dice you need.

Statistically, which is more likely to happen?
1. Having a pile of cards from the same flank all stacked at the bottom of the draw pile. Hence making it extremely difficult to plan units on that flank.

OR
2. Not rolling a certain Link color 3-4 times in a row. AND not rolling Command.

Not sure about which is more likely to happen statistically. But in scenario 1, if it happen, would screw up your game, since one-third of your battlefield is gone.

But for scenario 2, since the links can be anywhere on the map, not being able to activate a certain Link-color may not be that bad. You still can cover up with other links. Of course, if you're playing scenarios where you have 4 Red, and 0 Black, and you keep rolling Blacks... well.

Would need more plays to tell which one I prefer.

I've played both, and I feel Abaddon is slightly better at controlling your troops. I found with C&C you need more than one card to really push on a flank, so it's not a matter of having one card for the flank but multiple cards. Pushing three turns a row on a flank is tough in C&C. In Abaddon, because of the Command side of the activation dice, I find it is rare that I cannot use my most important unit on any given turn.
maxixe wrote:

killerTree wrote:

This is a very good idea! Fits the theme as well.

Take a peek at our latest web mission.
maxixe wrote:

killerTree wrote:

I have no problem with the 5 range rule, but...

I face challenge with the rules initially because of this orthogonal and diagonal only line-of-sight.

It doesn't make any sense! These are futuristic, expensive, high-tech robots we're talking about here.. Say an enemy is 2 spaces infront, and 1 space to the right of you. You can see it, but you can target it? I mean come on, it's right there.

I'm still in denial.

It makes a better game to have the LOS limitations.

I wouldn't judge the game on the first scenario. The first scenario is really just a training scenario and doesn't showcase the game to veteran gamers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.