Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kiren Maelwulf
Canada
Richmond
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I came across this thread on a dead SDE message board: http://www.superdungeonforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=18

I think it actually looks pretty good with minimal effort. Has anyone ever tried something as straight-forward as this and how easily does it work without the use of primer?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O B
United States
Mountainview
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks great! I'll likely do this first to get something playable before slowly going back and (stripping and) painting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kamu
Mexico
Toluca
Estado de México
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's this thread, called "How to paint a Terminator in 15 minutes" (can't find it, sorry, I'm on a cellphone), that uses a similar technique (with wood stain as dipping material), making use of the color of the plastic, and adding details. Since the kobolds are already red, you could wash/dip them and just add the metal armor on top and some details/highlights. Some painters have also used techniques like this to paint the War of the Ring 200+ miniatures, with nice results (much better that plain blue/red plastic).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmbmb
wickedwretch wrote:
There's this thread, called "How to paint a Terminator in 15 minutes" (can't find it, sorry, I'm on a cellphone), that uses a similar technique (with wood stain as dipping material), making use of the color of the plastic, and adding details. Since the kobolds are already red, you could wash/dip them and just add the metal armor on top and some details/highlights. Some painters have also used techniques like this to paint the War of the Ring 200+ miniatures, with nice results (much better that plain blue/red plastic).

Here's that thread: HOW TO PAINT A TERMINATOR IN 15 MINUTES. The idea is to paint some details but leave the main bulk to the wash.

That does leave some painting to be done. So it's sort of an intermediary between the simple wash in the OP and the full-on dip approach (The DIP Method: A Step by Step Guide to Painting Miniatures).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kiren Maelwulf
Canada
Richmond
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
adorablerocket wrote:
Looks great! I'll likely do this first to get something playable before slowly going back and (stripping and) painting.

That's what I was thinking. It looks like a good idea for something temporary until I actually have time to paint. My only concern was how wash will dry directly on the figures, although the ones in the pictures and the Terminator link do seem to have turned out fine. Thanks guys, looks promising.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Clark
United States
Worthington
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can someone give a quick primer, no pun intended, on how this is done?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kamu
Mexico
Toluca
Estado de México
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pyrowolf wrote:
Can someone give a quick primer, no pun intended, on how this is done?

The links tumorous provided have tons of info. If you're talking about the OP's link, those don't seem to have any primer; I've read that people simply wash the minis (as in soap and water, very important step wether you wash or paint or anything) and the apply wash (GW's washes seem to stick well to unprimed plastic). I've never done it, but I think you simply apply it (with a brush, don't dip), hoping for the best.

Edit: I think these kind of quick and easy methods use Minwax woodstain, but I can't provide any info about its coverage on unprimed plastic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.