Subject: Question about Citadel rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ethan Larson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Citadel power says something like: "After destiny is drawn, place a citadel." How long after? I've been assuming it meant "immediately after," as in, before the planet to be attacked is chosen.

I read it this way because my interpretation is that the intent of citadel is to allow him to place forts around the board that players later try to avoid, not to allow him to add another card to any defensive planet on any encounter.

If the thing at the bottom said "Destiny," it would be clearer, but it says "Planning" because it is referring to when you activate the citadels, not when you place them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Montgomery
United States
Modesto
California
flag msg tools
badge
The Shipyard - Star Trek Attack Wing spoilers and reviews
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always played where you flip destiny, Citadel places a card, then the offense points the gate with ships.

Essentially it's an extension of the destiny phase, before Launch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Franco
United States
Maplewood
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
If you could touch the alien sand and hear the cries of strange birds and watch them wheel in another sky, would that satisfy you?
mbmbmbmbmb
almo2001 wrote:
The Citadel power says something like: "After destiny is drawn, place a citadel." How long after? I've been assuming it meant "immediately after," as in, before the planet to be attacked is chosen.

Well, I'm pretty sure choosing which planet to attack is part of Launch...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
To borrow some Magic terminology, I'd argue that Citadel's power is a triggered ability, and the trigger is destiny being drawn. So it should happen immediately after.

Also consider that if the power isn't tied to that singular event, then there aren't any limits on how often the power can be played. The Citadel could keep using its power to dump its hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
mbmbmbmbmb
logopolys wrote:
I'm pretty sure choosing which planet to attack is part of Launch...

Right. The defensive system and player are determined in Destiny (unless you're Will) and the specific planet and number of ships are chosen in Launch.

In general I take these timing phrases at face value. As long as it is after the destiny draw but still in the same phase, then the action is allowed. Trying to figure out which effects mean "some time before/after" and which ones mean "immediately before/after" would be a nightmare.

And think of all the Timing Rule mess every time two or more optional effects could occur "before" or "after" the same event/timeframe. There'd be arguments about whether it is now too late for the offense to use his action after somebody else used theirs, or you'd constantly have to "poll" the earlier players to see if they want to use their effect.

No thanks ... much easier to just follow the text and the icons and let players invoke their actions in the natural flow of things. If it fits, it ships.

Asmor wrote:
Also consider that if the power isn't tied to that singular event, then there aren't any limits on how often the power can be played.

I disagree. Any time an effect is tied to a particular phase, subphase, event, timeframe, etc., there is an implied limit of "once" unless the text allows (or context implies) repeat use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Larson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think my question was misinterpreted, though I have gotten the answer I need. I was imagining:

Destiny is flipped blue.
Red points the cone at blue's planet with one ship.
Allies are asked for, and declared.
Cards are chosen.
Citadel puts a card on the defensive planet.

That is "after destiny is drawn," after all. I was not actually asking "how long after destiny is drawn, but still in the destiny phase can it happen?" :)

I agree with what people have said, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. It came up in a recent 2-power game that a player thought Citadel by the reading in this thread was underpowered compared to the combo I had. 2-power games are just like that; sometimes a combo is just silly in power.

But I'm pretty sure I didn't win that game. :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.