Alex Bagosy
United States
Ladera Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
According to the Divided Republic Facebook page, the game is now finished printing and packaging, and shipping is being arranged (as of 5/16). This is the first I'm hearing of this, so I'm afraid I have no further details to share at this time, but thought you might like to know.

-Alex
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Clemente
California
flag msg tools
Here the truceless armies yet / Trample, rolled in blood and sweat; / They kill and kill and never die; / And I think that each is I. // None will part us, none undo / The knot that makes one flesh of two, /
badge
Sick with hatred, sick with pain, / Strangling -- When shall we be slain? // When shall I be dead and rid / Of the wrong my father did? / How long, how long, till spade and hearse / Puts to sleep my mother's curse?
mbmbmbmbmb
Good news indeed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
“Games give you a chance to excel, and if you're playing in good company you don't even mind if you lose because you had the enjoyment of the company during the course of the game.” ― Gary Gygax
mbmbmbmbmb
Great News!

June is going to be a good month.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wendigo song
United States
Claymont
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any word on when it will be in game shops for those of us that could not pre-order?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Clemente
California
flag msg tools
Here the truceless armies yet / Trample, rolled in blood and sweat; / They kill and kill and never die; / And I think that each is I. // None will part us, none undo / The knot that makes one flesh of two, /
badge
Sick with hatred, sick with pain, / Strangling -- When shall we be slain? // When shall I be dead and rid / Of the wrong my father did? / How long, how long, till spade and hearse / Puts to sleep my mother's curse?
mbmbmbmbmb
harlemsushi wrote:
Any word on when it will be in game shops for those of us that could not pre-order?

I will ask Patrick and get his best estimate for when the games will arrive in the stores. I do know that he has tasked the producer to ship the 'plain' (non-Kickstarter) games to several of his distributors, but their arrival depends on US Customs approving the paperwork associated with these shipments and then tallying the cost so that the games can continue on to their respective distributors.

You can also order the game directly from the publisher at www.numbskullgames.com . Again, I will find a good estimate of when his copies of the games will arrive, and then post it here.

David
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Bagosy
United States
Ladera Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have less info than David on the subject at the moment. However, the arrangement with Numbskull is that the game must be shipped to KS backers first. I imagine I'll know more of the timetable when I hear of how signed games are to be handled, at least.

Please remember one other thing - Chinese post is very slow on many occassions. It will ship, but it may be anywhere from two to six weeks. Lets hope for the two to three range.

Alex
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Rompot
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The disconnect between designer and publisher is a little disconcerting. Is this typical for board games? Not trying to stir the pot here, just curious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Clemente
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
krompot wrote:
The disconnect between designer and publisher is a little disconcerting. Is this typical for board games? Not trying to stir the pot here, just curious.

We are doing the best we can, I can only give you my word on this. I am helping Patrick with coordination between the designer and publisher. We're almost there, and I'll keep at this until we arrive.

David

[edited to correct some horrendous typo's ...]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wendigo song
United States
Claymont
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
David Ells wrote:
You can also order the game directly from the publisher at www.numbskullgames.com . Again, I will find a good estimate of when his copies of the games will arrive, and then post it here.

Appreciate the heads up David. Unfortunately, I'm in a position where I can't pre-order because I have store credit at my local game shop that's earmarked for Divided Republic. Times are tough and I have to limit my expenditures for games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Bagosy
United States
Ladera Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
krompot wrote:

Honestly, I wish I could answer that question myself. I'll simply say that most of this news is as much news to me as it is to you, and I wish I knew a little more. I'll leave you to work out the implications of all that. It's certainly something that weighs heavily on me.

This is my only experience with publishing a boardgame. I hope that it will not be my last. Whether this is typical, I simply cannot say.

I will say two things.

First, I am incredibly grateful to David for stepping up to do all the things he's done. That he did so out of the goodness of his own heart and a sense of friendship with me, and with the Publishers, I think says a lot about what an outstanding individual he is. He's been unsung in much of this, and I'm only recently learning just how much he's done. Thank you again, David. I am most grateful.

Secondly, but no less importantly, I want to thank -all- of you for supporting the game throughout these many, often difficult months. It has not been an easy process to go through as a designer, and I know it can often be anxiety-inducing for those who have invested in the game or simply want very much to have their own copy so that they can try it for themselves. You've all been rational, helpful, and dare I say, incredibly adult about all of this. Since August of last year, I've received two negative messages about the game (that's TWO) - every other one of them has been friendly, positive, helpful, encouraging.

Believe me, I am humbled by all of you, your kind words, and efforts. I hope that the game lives up to your expectations, and that you judge the game on its merits, rather than the strange circumstances of its publication.

-Alex
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cristian Cano
Spain
Sevilla
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't understand the alarming level of coldness in the relationship between the designer and the publisher. Patrick Stevens has demonstrated to me that he is a great and kind person, all people that I have met that knows him agrees with me. He is trying, and sadly not achiving any success yet. He is going through hard times right now. Maybe Alex is very excited about the imminent publication of his first game and is unable to see the difficulties that Patrick is going through to keep Numbskull Games running. Things usually go slower than expected: the artwork, the rules edition, the last minute changes, etc. All of this, need time (from every person involved in the project) and often is not a recognized work. I'm living a similar situation in Spain with a long announced game that still in production... after two years since it was first announced!

In this case all the kickstarter backers has shown patience and they are fairly understanding the delay of the game from (I believe) the very ventured February 2012 goal when the project was in the kickstarter home stretch.

We all can wait a little more, the wait is not going to be worthless. So, in the meantime and until all of us have a Divided Republic copy in our hands, let all of us take a little time to allow that mutual comprehension and a little boardgamegeek's love outshine all the bad feelings.

By the way, Divided Republic's Spanish translation rulebook is done 100%.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wendigo song
United States
Claymont
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I can't understand the alarming level of coldness in the relationship between the designer and the publisher. Patrick Stevens has demonstrated to me that he is a great and kind person, all people that I have met that knows him agrees with me. He is trying, and sadly not achiving any success yet. He is going through hard times right now. Maybe Alex is very excited about the imminent publication of his first game and is unable to see the difficulties that Patrick is going through to keep Numbskull Games running.

Cristian, why are you rushing to the defense of Patrick Stevens when nothing negative has been said about either the designer or publisher and the only mention is with respect to a question by a consumer who is not on the inside of the business.

I have never met Patrick Stevens and did not know who he was till you name dropped him. I'm sure he is a nice guy like you said who is working very hard, but you know what so am I and so is every other person here. This is a recession and we are all putting in double time to keep our heads above water and stay employed. So please excuse me if I do not automatically grasp the point you were trying to make simply because your post seems a bit out of place in this thread where no one has attacked Patrick, Numbskull, or even made a statement that was anything less than supportive or inquisitory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Clemente
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't want this discussion to become personal or lose focus from the topic of the game's release. I think that a year from now, all this will be forgotten and won't really matter relative to the quality of the game, it's production, release, and sales, and its popularity. I want to bring the focus back to all that we have accomplished so far.

Alex has researched, designed and created a fine (and so far only!) game on an overlooked topic, one that most have a passing interest or knowledge of, as compared to event that immediately followed this election, the American Civil War. That subject has been popular from the beginning of wargaming (1958 Gettysburg, Charles Roberts, Avalon Hill), and rightly so givem the scale and duration of the military conflict, and the profound effect the war had on our country's history, economy, and society.

Alex and Patrick worked togerher to develop this game properly, and both had playtesting groups that participated to give feedback, input, and fix any issues (proofreading, rules wruting, questiins, etc.). I was fortunate enough to particpate in the playtesting and help Patrick with any issues or difficulties he faced, so that I might offer a different perspective. Together, we did it, and in a reasonably short time despite our resoective busy schedules. We're gamers, so we're used to being flexible and resourceful.

Next, Patrick began work on the artwork and graphics, and with help and participation from artists in several continents, we arrived at a handsome design. The game components, map board cards and box came next. The arrival of the Kickstarter money allowed Patrick to place the order for DR with the manufacturers, whose production level is solid and within the industry standard. They are now produced and on their way from China to America, awaiting processing from Customs. Worst case means 1 month from now, hopefully much sooner, but Customs and longshoremen don't work on weekends or holidays, so arrival early in a given week

Alex and Patrick are equally passionate and creative individuals.

[Long post from my Android, must split into 2 parts.]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Clemente
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is their first Kickstarter campaign, and their first time working together. Patrick years ago showed me his ideas for a game on this subject, and another friend of mine, Hans von Stockhausen, also had expressed the desire to make a game on the 1860 election. He is a fan of American history from that period and very knowledgeable on it, so it didn't take much to have him agree to be a playtester for DR.
Patrick is very pleased to have his company produce and sell _Divided Republic_, and we feel it will be a popular and succesful game that entertains, challenges and teaches the players.

In addition, Patrick and I have been working on fulfilling the various Kickstarter game accesories. These offer their own challenges, but I'll say a couple of things. The fact that a significant number of Supporters chose the respective levels shows the interest they have, not only in the game but also in the associated 'political campaign' items. They identify with their respective candidates the way they might with those of our modern era, and this is a good thing. It's also a clever and effective way to market the game and reward the Supporters, without whose support and backing the game would not be possible. The high level of interest shown here on BGG by the posters is also very helpful and encouraging, so thanks to all who may read this, as well.

[Break!]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
patrick stevens
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.
mbmbmbmbmb

Hi Everyone. Thanks for bringing me up to date on your concerns. Sorry for any misunderstandings, misinformation, or incomplete information. I will post as soon as I get new information. Here is my last: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/797378/progress-report
The average game takes 3 months to print and package, plus a month to ship. I mistakenly stated an estimated February arrival date based upon the understanding that I would receive the Kickstarter money in November, 2011, because the campaign was launched in October, 2011. However, I did not receive the check until early March ,2012. And then the check didn't clear until March 15. So the 4 months which I estimated started then, and by that standard, we are not technically "late" until July 15, 2012. (Kickstarter hasn't offered any explanations for the four month delay, and believe me I am just as frustrated as you are). Unfortunately I cannot promise an exact date, but I have listed here some of the things that may affect the process:
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/782046/status-report
Pat
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
patrick stevens
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.
mbmbmbmbmb
David Ells wrote:
harlemsushi wrote:

I will ask Patrick and get his best estimate for when the games will arrive in the stores. I do know that he has tasked the producer to ship the 'plain' (non-Kickstarter) games to several of his distributors, but their arrival depends on US Customs approving the paperwork associated with these shipments and then tallying the cost so that the games can continue on to their respective distributors.

David

Howdy
Your post on games sent to distributors and to stores is not that accurate. It makes it look like distributors and stores have a priority of direct shipping from China. I never said that.
1 We get all the games sent here to my facility.
2 We send to the consolidator.
3 He sends to distributors.
4 They send to stores.
-So the distributors can get the game apx 3 weeks after we get them. The stores another week or 2 . That is at least 1 month after we get them. That does not mean they will unless they have ordered them.
Pat
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Dave
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a kickstarter supporter. I'm also moving on August 1, but as of now I don't know my new address. I'm currently in NY, but will be in CA.

I'm really worried about having my games lost in transit. What is the likelihood of receiving my games in NY before I move?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
patrick stevens
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Highly likely, the games should be here within two weeks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Bagosy
United States
Ladera Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bravucon wrote:
I can't understand the alarming level of coldness in the relationship between the designer and the publisher. Patrick Stevens has demonstrated to me that he is a great and kind person, all people that I have met that knows him agrees with me. He is trying, and sadly not achiving any success yet. He is going through hard times right now. Maybe Alex is very excited about the imminent publication of his first game and is unable to see the difficulties that Patrick is going through to keep Numbskull Games running. Things usually go slower than expected: the artwork, the rules edition, the last minute changes, etc. All of this, need time (from every person involved in the project) and often is not a recognized work. .

I don't know where this is coming from. At best, it is unrelated to the tenure of the discourse and seems to be based upon supposition. At worst, it casts dispersions upon my maturity and level of professionalism, and also makes assumptions that are completely ignorant of my own personal situation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cristian Cano
Spain
Sevilla
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I apologize for my inappropriate post, I'm really sorry to have misunderstood the situation and bad suppositions. I'm glad I was wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Rooks
Japan
Kobe
Hyogo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Although suppositions of "coldness" between the designer and publisher were surely out of line, a certain lack of communication, at least in the timeliness of updates and procedural matters between Alex & Numbskull Games seems to be rather evident. Alex has mentioned numerous times that he learned of new status updates along with the rest of us fans either here on BGG or on Facebook (see here, here, here, and here). Although certainly not malicious, this communication gap is probably the thing that is "weighing heavily" on Alex, a first-time game designer eagerly (if not anxiously) awaiting the arrival of his first-born game.

At any rate, it's really great to see the light at the end of the tunnel, and know that Divided Republic will soon be in the hands of the supporters of the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Bagosy
United States
Ladera Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bravucon wrote:
I apologize for my inappropriate post, I'm really sorry to have misunderstood the situation and bad suppositions. I'm glad I was wrong.

Forget about it. I thought it was important to clear up the matter immediately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
“Games give you a chance to excel, and if you're playing in good company you don't even mind if you lose because you had the enjoyment of the company during the course of the game.” ― Gary Gygax
mbmbmbmbmb
Back on subject...

patrick stevens wrote:
Highly likely, the games should be here within two weeks.

WOO HOO!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dundy O
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
"Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know much about the gaming industry at all, but I do understand that it involves many people, in-house production as well as outsourcing it.

In the few years I've been paying attention to the industry, mostly through BGG, and I know that it's tough to be involved in it. As in every business, delays happen.

Sometimes these thread can get a bit heated.

I'm just happy that I'll be receiving a copy soon. I thank everyone involved. Thank you Mr. Patrick Stevens. Thank you Mr. David Ells. Thank you Mr. Alex Bagosy.

You've all been up-front and very positive with us, and you deserve to be thanked and respected. Know that you are.

God Bless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.