Subject: Best way to dip the DT minis? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bartek Łojewski
Poland
Warszawa
flag msg tools
mb
Okay so I am terribly sorry if this has already been discussed but I've skimmed through the forums already and found nothing.

My RCS is on the way and I've already been thinking about ways to paint the minis. My brother is a WH40K nuts so I will have access to tons of tons of Citadel paints, foundations and washes.

I myself am very, very, VERY AVERAGE at painting minis so I wanted to try something new - dipping! I've been very malevolent and manipulated my brother into buying the Army Painter Quick Shade Strong so I've already got the thing to use devil

Anyway, here's what I am worried about. The DT minis come pre-primed which is great (I am a lazy bum) and I wanted to build on that. From reading the extensive topic on dipping the Space Hulk Terminators it seems though that dipping requires very bright base paint because it makes the colours significantly darker (especially with us getting the Strong version of the Quick Shade). All of the DT minis are primed with a very dark colour.

Does it mean that I should prime the minis again with white GW primer? Or maybe some extensive white-gray drybrushing as the base is enough?

I'll be eternally grateful for any tips! Thanks guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Smith
United Kingdom
Gillingham
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's no point in priming the model white unlkess you want white uniforms. The base coat will not go that much darker and you do not need to lighten. Just apply paint to flesh, weapns, boots and gear etc, leave to dry overnight and brush the dip on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Maddening
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use the medium-level Army Painter dip with a mixture of Citadel and Army Painter colors, and I'm very happy with the results. Just make sure you shake the mini very well when you get it out of the dip.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
I wasn't born ! I sprang from the forhead of God , as he contemplated a particularly vile joke !
badge
I wasn't born , I was hatched in the deepest darkest part of the ocean , and raised by sharks !
mbmbmbmbmb
i use Minwax Polyshade Tudor, glossy (460).

it costs about 1/3 of the army painter dip .

the darkness of the shading is dependant in part on how well you shake the can . the color tends to settle .

i apply it with a brush .

for my axis , i do base coat the uniforms just to make them a little lighter , but you dont have to if you dont want to .

here is a REALLLY good article on dipping :

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~beattie/dip.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartek Łojewski
Poland
Warszawa
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for your tips, guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Revolta
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can find my humble beginnings with Dust models painting and dipping them in Army Painter Strong Qucik Shade here: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_foros_discusion.asp?e...

You really don`t need to re-prime them, if You don`t plan to paint them white.

BTW, in which city in Poland do You live?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartek Łojewski
Poland
Warszawa
flag msg tools
mb
I actually had some progress with this, managed to paint ze german Panzerfaust squad and the results are satisfactory. I went with a green base coating, drybrushed boltgun metal armours and some colour details (red helmets for the panzer guys, yellow helmet for the flamer dude).

I've also done the laser squard, painted them black (had no primer so with a brush) and drybrushed with boltgun metal and finished with another drybrush of bleached bone. They are OK but a bit dark.

My ugliest creation to date is Lara, I wanted some colour on her and I went with Ultramarine Blue which was, in the end, a bad idea - the Strong tone Quick Shade looks very poor when mixed with that colour.

The allies are my next step and I want to get them a winter gear, so I'll have to prime them white.

And I live in Warsaw

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Revolta
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was asking because we have a growing DT gaming group here in Warsaw - 4-5 people are playing on a regular basis almost every Thursday in Paradox Cafe. I am abroad right now, but if You want to drop by and play (don't worry that You don't have enough models - we do ), catch Lska or Ygethmor on FFG foru and tell them that I invited You.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Skinner
Canada
Beaumont
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want the dipped minis to look a bit brighter, you can try dry brushing the uniforms with a light color first. Use a light olive or even a bone white for the Allies, and a pale grey for the Axis. The dip will smooth the dry brushed highlights out a bit, but it will keep the minis from getting too dark.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.