Subject: Deck building rules regarding the factions (speculation) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Magnus Upmann
Germany
Riesenbeck
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think I know how the factions will change deckbuilding in the FFG version: you can't mix and match cards from different factions as you wish, but have to commit to one faction.
Each card has a point value (the number of dots in the bottom right or bottom left corner, e.g. Cyberfeeder costs 1 point, Adonis Campaign and Corroder cost 2 points each, and Hadrian's Wall costs 3 points).
You have a fixed amount of points (10 perhaps?) to spend on cards. You get cards of your chosen faction for free, but you can only have 10 points worth of cards from other factions in your deck.
What do you think? Possible/probable?

Edit: I just noticed that not all cards have a point value. Those without would be narrow cards that you can only play in a deck commited to that card's faction (Breaking News for example, as it seems to be sepecifically made for tagging decks).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Was this meant for the Android:Netrunner forums?

Either way, yes - Deck Building limitations is one of the thoughts of what the dots mean. It does make verification a little diffcult though, unless it's honor system or x-post-facto.

Other thoughts are that the more dots the more of that factions card you have to have 'in play' in order to play that card. Of course, for the Corp, that sucks, since most of your cards are face down and you'd have to go on a rezzing fest in order to demonstrate that the card placement was legal -- and under Classic rules you cannot rez ICE unless the Runner approaches, so that is hopefully not what's happening.

In the end, unless some major balancing was done around the factions, I wonder how many people will end up ignoring the faction rules in at least one constructed format.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Head Zach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
(Another vote for moving this to the other forums, Oct!)

Noticing there are a few faction cards we've seen that lack the blue dots, it may suggest that there's more of a limitation on cross-faction card use rather than mandating a minimum amount of cards in your identity's faction - and that identities or other cards may have their effects/abilities key off of the faction tags in particular (very likely: "Your cost to install / play cards in your faction are reduced by 1." / "Agendas for your faction require 1 less advancement counter to score.")

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emile de Maat
Netherlands
Hengelo
Overijssel
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved Thread
Moved this thread from the Netrunner Rules forum to the Android: Netrunner General forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie M.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My guess is the dots represent the additional cost in bits to play the card if it doesn't belong to your faction. Cards without dots are neutral and can be played from any faction with no additional cost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
roborob wrote:
My guess is the dots represent the additional cost in bits to play the card if it doesn't belong to your faction. Cards without dots are neutral and can be played from any faction with no additional cost.

I am beginning to embrace this view as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Hamm
United States
Huxley
Iowa
flag msg tools
See this text? It's a gratuitous waste of GeekGold.
badge
The game itself isn't important. Spending time intellectually jousting with likeminded folks is the real reason to game.
mbmbmbmbmb
roborob wrote:

This makes the most sense to me. This would allow them to make the faction cards a bit better than the neutral cards. It would also help prevent shenanigans and deck verifications at tournaments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Head Zach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At first I was doubtful about this, but then with the seemingly plausible re-calibration of the credit economy, this makes more sense.

Still keeping $.60 of my $1 bet on blue-dot-as-deck-limiter, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alternatively, maybe it's a "you can only use this card in a deck containing x other factions or fewer" (though why it goes as high as 5 is a mystery; maybe they're counting neutral cards as their own faction and/or giving themselves room to add new ones down the road)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If this is the case, having the cost be on the opposite side of the card will be a bit annoying -- as I prefer indexed information for such things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Linnell
United States
Bedford
NH
flag msg tools
I really need a new badge, avatar, and overtext. GM me with any ideas....
badge
This is the seahorse valley
mb
My guess is that the dots are a loyalty cost or cost reduction. I think this is the best way to support the faction "flavors" - i.e. the "Tricks and Traps" Corp can play "Big ICE" cards, but at an increased cost - thereby helping to focus the deckbuilding into one area or another.

Dots for deckbuilding could be possible, but I think that's getting a little further from home for both FFG and Netrunner. Not that it couldn't be done, and done well, just that it would be something completely new and different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Lieffring
United States
Athens
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I'm just going to note here that the Agendas we've seen have factions, but not even a space for dots. I don't know what that means, if anything, but if you're advancing ideas for what you think the dots mean, it might be something to reconcile with your idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christophe Chazarein
France
Toulouse
flag msg tools
solidhavok wrote:
My guess is that the dots are a loyalty cost or cost reduction.

Impossible. Look at "Scortched Earth" : it costs 3 credits but it has 4 dots.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie M.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IncompleteUserNa wrote:
I'm just going to note here that the Agendas we've seen have factions, but not even a space for dots. I don't know what that means, if anything, but if you're advancing ideas for what you think the dots mean, it might be something to reconcile with your idea.

Interesting. You probably can only include the agendas that are specific to your faction plus neutrals. This pushes faction identity since each corp really does have "their own agenda."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Loyalty reduction would mean subtracting the dots from the printed cost.
Scorched Earth kind of burns this theory...

Loyalty cost would mean adding the dots to the printed cost if you're not playing that faction.
So Weyland can blow up their own buildings for 3 creds, but other mega-corps would need to spend 7.

(( as always, this is speculation ))
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lechaz wrote:
solidhavok wrote:
My guess is that the dots are a loyalty cost or cost reduction.

Impossible. Look at "Scortched Earth" : it costs 3 credits like but has 4 dots.

If it is indeed a loyalty cost (a la Warhammer: Invasion) it doesn't work quite like that. Its cost would be 7, but each Weyland card you have in play would reduce the cost by 1 (up to a total reduction of 4).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mills
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It could be a threshold cost; i.e., you must have 4 Weyland cards in play to use this card. That doesn't quite jive with the idea that most of the Corp's cards will be hidden, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Doum
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In Blue Moon, each card had a number of "Moons" from 0 to 4 on it. If you were deck building, the cards that matched what was the "faction" in that game were free, and you could have so many Moons of cards from other factions. The decks were limited to a certain number of cards.

There were types of cards which had 0 Moons, which could change the nature of the decks and how they were played substantially.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Linnell
United States
Bedford
NH
flag msg tools
I really need a new badge, avatar, and overtext. GM me with any ideas....
badge
This is the seahorse valley
mb
AllenDoum wrote:
In Blue Moon, each card had a number of "Moons" from 0 to 4 on it. If you were deck building, the cards that matched what was the "faction" in that game were free, and you could have so many Moons of cards from other factions. The decks were limited to a certain number of cards.

There were types of cards which had 0 Moons, which could change the nature of the decks and how they were played substantially.

AHHH!! You're getting Knizia in my Garfield!!!! Now we will have 17 different types of agendas, and you can only win by advancing your lowest one more than the other player, after you subtract 10 and multiply by the agenda factor!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Head Zach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AllenDoum wrote:

My $5 is on this idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Böttcher
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If these dots are so important, why are they so small ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
why do they need to be big?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Böttcher
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Because in their LCG's all important symbols are "big".

I don't think these dots are used in the game, only before (deckbuilding).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie M.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bhz1 wrote:
AllenDoum wrote:

My $5 is on this idea.

That is a rotton idea. Checking the legality of decks at a tournament would be too time consuming. You would be counting too many dots from too many factions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mat Nowak
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
roborob wrote:
bhz1 wrote:
AllenDoum wrote:

My $5 is on this idea.

That is a rotton idea. Checking the legality of decks at a tournament would be too time consuming. You would be counting too many dots from too many factions.

Don't forget that the faction cards are all color coded so it's quite easy to quickly separate them out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.