Recommend
10 
 Thumb up
 Hide
19 Posts

Ground Floor» Forums » News

Subject: Overfunding #7: Kickstarter Exclusive Box rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Short
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The next overfunding goal for Ground Floor is a Kickstarter exclusive box. This box will come with the Kickstarter blob logo and my digital signiture. This limited edition exclusive will only be available to Kickstarter supporters.

4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Tunison
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Get your finger out of my face!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Bummer. I mean, the exclusive box is awesome and all, but I was planning to have you personally sign mine so it would be worth millions someday, but now they'll all be signed.

Seriously though, I'm pretty excited about this one. The KS box should certainly push more folks to jump in now instead of waiting until it's released.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MikeTuna wrote:
Bummer. I mean, the exclusive box is awesome and all, but I was planning to have you personally sign mine so it would be worth millions someday, but now they'll all be signed.

Seriously though, I'm pretty excited about this one. The KS box should certainly push more folks to jump in now instead of waiting until it's released.


Really? A box is all it takes? Do you think I can trade my "exclusive" box for a copy of Skyline? (kidding...)

I mean, whatever they feel is a good promotional item for stretch goals is fine with me - I'm paying for the game. The stretch goals that are interesting to me (like extra specialities and TI's) are a bonus, and the ones that seem silly to me, like this box and the scenarios, are just extra stuff that I'm not going to complain about. But I'm surprised to see excitement over this one.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Holzman
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
As grey traces of dawn tinge the eastern sky, the three travellers, men of Willowdale, emerge from the forest's shadow. Fording the river, they turn south, journeying into the dark and forbidding lands of The Necromancer...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
arkayn wrote:
MikeTuna wrote:
Bummer. I mean, the exclusive box is awesome and all, but I was planning to have you personally sign mine so it would be worth millions someday, but now they'll all be signed.

Seriously though, I'm pretty excited about this one. The KS box should certainly push more folks to jump in now instead of waiting until it's released.


Really? A box is all it takes? Do you think I can trade my "exclusive" box for a copy of Skyline? (kidding...)

I mean, whatever they feel is a good promotional item for stretch goals is fine with me - I'm paying for the game. The stretch goals that are interesting to me (like extra specialities and TI's) are a bonus, and the ones that seem silly to me, like this box and the scenarios, are just extra stuff that I'm not going to complain about. But I'm surprised to see excitement over this one.

QFT.

When I saw this announcement, my reaction was...Yay? Meh.
But I still am getting what looks like a really nice game with a free expansion thrown in the mix.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mindes
United States
Mountain Green
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
arkayn wrote:
MikeTuna wrote:
Bummer. I mean, the exclusive box is awesome and all, but I was planning to have you personally sign mine so it would be worth millions someday, but now they'll all be signed.

Seriously though, I'm pretty excited about this one. The KS box should certainly push more folks to jump in now instead of waiting until it's released.


Really? A box is all it takes? Do you think I can trade my "exclusive" box for a copy of Skyline? (kidding...)

I mean, whatever they feel is a good promotional item for stretch goals is fine with me - I'm paying for the game. The stretch goals that are interesting to me (like extra specialities and TI's) are a bonus, and the ones that seem silly to me, like this box and the scenarios, are just extra stuff that I'm not going to complain about. But I'm surprised to see excitement over this one.


Different people get excited over different things. I think it is important to successfully mark the difference between Kickstarter and non-Kickstarter boxes.

Not to mention, somebody that Kickstarted the game, can always point to their box as proof of how smart and cool they are. They were on the front end of awesomeness.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DrMayhem wrote:
They were on the front end of awesomeness.


Uncharted territory for me.
9 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Davies
United Kingdom
Shrewsbury
Shropshire
flag msg tools
Chin chin!
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's a great idea!

It keeps the 'I'm a Kickstarter and want something exclusive, dammit!' group happy, but at the same time doesn't upset the 'I wasn't a Kickstarter and its unfair that I missed out on those exclusive game components, dammit!' group. Good call all round!

I for one am v pleased with my exclusive, designer signed, edition

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Chien
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Count me in the "I like non-gameplay Kickstarter bonuses" crowd. Generally, promos or Kickstarter bonuses don't feel well-integrated into the game. By contrast, upgraded bits, like the box, for example, do not mess with the core gameplay one bit, while still being a nice upgrade.

Take the coins from the new edition of Omen, for example.

Cameron

P.S. I will spread the word!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Ardianto
Indonesia
DKI Jakarta - Jakarta Utara
flag msg tools
badge
https://www.facebook.com/gopopnow
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
A question arose in my head...
Is this exclusive box will be replacing the original GF box? Which if it is, I am gonna be disappointed, since I like the art of the original box.
Any image of the exclusive box you can show us?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Chien
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My understanding is that it will be the same art but with a large, prominent "Kickstarter Exclusive Box" medallion on it someplace.

Cameron
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Ardianto
Indonesia
DKI Jakarta - Jakarta Utara
flag msg tools
badge
https://www.facebook.com/gopopnow
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Zeede wrote:
My understanding is that it will be the same art but with a large, prominent "Kickstarter Exclusive Box" medallion on it someplace.

Cameron


Oh DANG! That sucks! Kinda bit turn off if what you said is true.
It's not so exclusive anymore. I have wild thought that the box will be doubled, which the kickstarter box is not just a box, but the cover of the original box (kinda like a jacket).
Now that would be... EXCLUSIVE!!! whistle
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mindes
United States
Mountain Green
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
vardamir wrote:
Zeede wrote:
My understanding is that it will be the same art but with a large, prominent "Kickstarter Exclusive Box" medallion on it someplace.

Cameron


Oh DANG! That sucks! Kinda bit turn off if what you said is true.
It's not so exclusive anymore. I have wild thought that the box will be doubled, which the kickstarter box is not just a box, but the cover of the original box (kinda like a jacket).
Now that would be... EXCLUSIVE!!! whistle


That is too high tech for me to worry about.

It is the same as the original box, and only has the Kickstarter blob and David's signature in addition.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Fullenwider
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
42
badge
I'm not a moccodity!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DrMayhem wrote:
Different people get excited over different things. I think it is important to successfully mark the difference between Kickstarter and non-Kickstarter boxes.

Not to mention, somebody that Kickstarted the game, can always point to their box as proof of how smart and cool they are. They were on the front end of awesomeness.


Just so long as isn't also being used to denote early adopters with moldy and/or miscut components as happened with the first couple TMG games...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mindes
United States
Mountain Green
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
maelic001 wrote:
DrMayhem wrote:
Different people get excited over different things. I think it is important to successfully mark the difference between Kickstarter and non-Kickstarter boxes.

Not to mention, somebody that Kickstarted the game, can always point to their box as proof of how smart and cool they are. They were on the front end of awesomeness.


Just so long as isn't also being used to denote early adopters with moldy and/or miscut components as happened with the first couple TMG games...


That was a long time ago and since moving to 2 different professional manufacturers:

* Panda Game Manufacturing
* Grand Prix International

We have produced and sold all of our games without any production problems (to my knowledge) than an occasional missing or damaged component.

Which includes:

* Eminent Domain
* Belfort
* Homesteaders 2nd Edition
* Train of Thought
* Jab: Real-Time Boxing
* Martian Dice

And the upcoming:

* For The Win
* Kings of Air and Steam
* Ground Floor
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia Ziobro
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Zeede wrote:
Count me in the "I like non-gameplay Kickstarter bonuses" crowd. Generally, promos or Kickstarter bonuses don't feel well-integrated into the game. By contrast, upgraded bits, like the box, for example, do not mess with the core gameplay one bit, while still being a nice upgrade.


While I agree that often Kickstarter bonuses are not as well-integrated into their games as they should be, for all the expansions so far, David has really thought all the planned expansions through -- have you been reading his write-ups? While the game can be played without them (and it plays very well even though we've only got PnP at this point), I feel confident that the add-ons are also excellent.

Fleet is another good example of a Kickstarter-based project where the stretch goal rewards were actual parts of the game as playtested that were cut from the game itself for reasons other than poor gameplay. Adding them back was a win IMO, as were the upgraded license cards.
meeple
JAZ
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mindes
United States
Mountain Green
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JuliaZ wrote:
Zeede wrote:
Count me in the "I like non-gameplay Kickstarter bonuses" crowd. Generally, promos or Kickstarter bonuses don't feel well-integrated into the game. By contrast, upgraded bits, like the box, for example, do not mess with the core gameplay one bit, while still being a nice upgrade.


While I agree that often Kickstarter bonuses are not as well-integrated into their games as they should be, for all the expansions so far, David has really thought all the planned expansions through -- have you been reading his write-ups? While the game can be played without them (and it plays very well even though we've only got PnP at this point), I feel confident that the add-ons are also excellent.


It is important to note that the bonuses are not part of the original game, but some from potential expansion ideas that David has had and tested.

Michael
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Chien
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good points, Julia, and actually I was just speaking about promos, add-ons and Kickstarter bonuses in general. Quarriors, for example, had a terrible set of promo cards (Quaxos creatures). By contrast, the promo civilization for 7 Wonders (Mannekin Pis), the extra creature cards for King of Tokyo and the "We Have The Bomb/Bomb Shelter" promo for Eaten By Zombies were all very fun to add in and integrated seamlessly.

Cameron
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Smith
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
[Even] in their poverty, they referred to their garden of necessity as if it were a hobby.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this is a cool stretch reward. Looking forward to it!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mindes
United States
Mountain Green
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
h00sha wrote:
I think this is a cool stretch reward. Looking forward to it!


We hit it!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.