Ian Allen
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I read that there are 3 versions. Apparently the first version comes with a 1 piece board and plastic figures while later version come with pawns, a 2 piece board, and some kind of puzzle board?

I would like to keep my eye out for a copy of this game, but what should I be looking for between the 3 versions?

I have all the heroclix judges already and could probably pimp the playing pieces out with no problem, but i'm not a fan of 2 piece boards.

Is the artwork better in later editions? What is this puzzle board I read about?

thx,

Glookose
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Wagner Hansen
Denmark
Sorø
flag msg tools
designer
Any time, any place!
badge
Fingers off, that's my car!
mbmbmbmbmb
Until you wrote this I never knew there was different versions.

My own copy is from 1982, and it comes with 6 plastic miniatures, and when I write mini, I do mean min, they are about 1/4 inch high.

The board was made up of 4 pieces. Each piece was shaped like a puzzle piace, so they would fit together nicely, and not slide away from each other during play. That's what they refer to when they write puzzle-board.

Puzzleboard in 4 pieces

Puzzleboard set together.

The other version has a folded board in two pieces:

If you have the choise, you should go for the version with the 4 piece puzzle-board, and the miniatures, even if you are going to replace them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Allen
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick response and those pictures - that answered a lot of questions!

Looks like the artwork is the same. I guess I would want the puzzle board version so it wouldn't slide apart during gameplay - although I don't really care if I get the 1/4" pawns or not.

Now if I can just figure out which versions are which. Is the one you have 1st, 2nd, or 3rd edition I wonder.

I can at least look for the one printed in 1982.

EDIT - There are 3 Versions of the Game: The First Edition with a 1-Part-Board and later Editions with a 2-Part-Board and a 4-Part-Puzzle-Board.

So I guess I need either the 1st or 3rd editions, but not the 2nd edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Morse
England
Barnard Castle
flag msg tools
designer
badge
not the nose, not the nose!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
My board is a one piece board that folds over twice. It has the plastic Judges.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Wagner Hansen
Denmark
Sorø
flag msg tools
designer
Any time, any place!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FarawayPictures wrote:

Could you post a picture of this in the image sction. I can only find pictures of the 4-piece and the 2-piece boards, and would love to see the 1-piece board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Wagner Hansen
Denmark
Sorø
flag msg tools
designer
Any time, any place!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
glookose wrote:
Thanks for the quick response and those pictures - that answered a lot of questions!

The pictures are from the images section, and not mine.

Quote:
Now if I can just figure out which versions are which. Is the one you have 1st, 2nd, or 3rd edition I wonder.

I can at least look for the one printed in 1982.

There is no indication of version on my box, board or rules.

I guess they didn't care about that back in the 80's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
l-hansen wrote:
FarawayPictures wrote:

Could you post a picture of this in the image sction. I can only find pictures of the 4-piece and the 2-piece boards, and would love to see the 1-piece board.

This version is not a puzzle board it is the one piece board.

l-hansen wrote:

Puzzleboard set together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Allen
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

There is no indication of version on my box, board or rules.

I guess they didn't care about that back in the 80's.

At least the year is on the back of the box at the very bottom in small print. I could see that from one of the pictures.

So there is a 1 piece board, a 2 piece board, and a 4 piece puzzle board.

Which of these DOES NOT come with the plastic judges, but has pawns instead?

Edit:

So correct me if I'm wrong - are all 3 versions from 1982? Thats weird.
Versions:

1st Edition 1982 - 2 piece board, plastic pawns

2nd Edition 1982 - 1 piece board, plastic judge figures

3rd Edition 1982? - 4 piece puzzle board, plastic judge figures

In one picture I see the date 1987 on the back, but the back of the box is red instead of the original yellow. Is that the main Judge Dredd box or is that some other Judge Dredd type game box? Pic below:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
glookose wrote:

In one picture I see the date 1987 on the back, but the back of the box is red instead of the original yellow. Is that the main Judge Dredd box or is that some other Judge Dredd type game box? Pic below:

That's not the boardgame box, but the Slaughter Margin supplement for the RPG
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zaphod Beeblebrox
msg tools
[q="glookose"]
Quote:
So correct me if I'm wrong - are all 3 versions from 1982? Thats weird.
Versions:

1st Edition 1982 - 2 piece board, plastic pawns

2nd Edition 1982 - 1 piece board, plastic judge figures

3rd Edition 1982? - 4 piece puzzle board, plastic judge figures

I'm probably going to be accused of being awkward here but... I recently got this down from the loft. But I have a 1 piece board and just plastic pawns. I know I got this game from new so I would guess as they were all put together in the same year, there could have been some mix and match.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne O'Keeffe
Ireland
Sligo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just picked a copy of this up tonight at a convention for €20 (£17, complete and great condition)

1 piece board with minis. Says 1982 on the back but also has a number (maybe print run number) of 01005. Cant see anything else that might indicate what version it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Be sure to sleeve the Action cards, if nothing else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Doran
United States
Simi Valley
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just picked this up. Yellow back box says 1982 with that 01005 on the right. It has the two piece board and 1/2" tall judge shaped minis and a tiny die.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bate
United Kingdom
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterG wrote:
Be sure to sleeve the Action cards, if nothing else.

MisterG. What sleeves would you recommend?

I forget what I used maybe a Fantasy Flight type (I'll find out) but they were a very tight fit. Not enough to bend the cards but enough to make it a hard job to get them inserted.

Addition:
I used the tight fitting Fantasy Flight sleeve size: Standard American - Green (FFS03) - (2-1/4” x 3-1/2" - 57 x 89mm).

The sleeving geeklist says Swan PanAsia sleeve size: Standard Chimera: Standard (SWN-024) or Premium (SWN-507) - (60 x 90mm) for their recommended best fit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Wish I could help you on that, but must confess that I never actually have gotten around to sleeving my copy. Sadly, my cards are far too gone....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bate
United Kingdom
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No problem. Thanks for answering.

I think your tale of worn out cards is one of the reasons I sleeve most games these days before they hit the table. I worry about them getting damaged (a bit of mild gaming OCD) and when you are on a limited budget the games cost so much if you have to replace them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Macko AK
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bit late to the party but should anyone be reading this:

I have 2 copies of the game, both bought second hand. One with the generic plastic pawn pieces and with really thin and flimsy Action Cards. The 54 cards look like they have been removed from a perforated sheet. They are awful and feel like they will be severely damaged after a few plays. They are similar in thickness to the Perps, Crimes and Sector Cards. (This version has the 2 piece board by the way.)

I also have a copy which I bought for spares but the board is missing. It came with the plastic Judge minis but it also had a much better set of 54 Action Cards. The cards are thicker and look like a proper pack of playing cards rather than pulled out from a perforated sheet. If you put them side by side with the previous set of action cards they are almost twice the size in height. Much better cards.

Just thought I’d add to the confusion!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.