Hansa Teutonica» Forums » General

Subject: 3 players on the 4-5p board? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have read through most of this forum, specifically with regards to the two and three player threads. It seems that the opening in three player games often involves fighting over the action route, and that the game can be decided quite early if one player misplays.

Seeing the expansion board, which plays 3-5 and has three routes going to the action/bag city, I wonder if anyone has tried playing three players on the original 4-5p side of the board?

If so, any feedback on how the game played? It seems to me it would open up the early game quite a bit, but aside from that I am not sure how it would hold up.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Bosca
United States
Royal Oak
Michigan
flag msg tools
resist.
badge
Eternity, said Frankie Lee with a voice as cold as ice; That's right, said Judas Priest, eternity, though you might call it paradise...
mbmbmbmbmb
Erratik wrote:
I have read through most of this forum, specifically with regards to the two and three player threads. It seems that the opening in three player games often involves fighting over the action route, and that the game can be decided quite early if one player misplays.

Seeing the expansion board, which plays 3-5 and has three routes going to the action/bag city, I wonder if anyone has tried playing three players on the original 4-5p side of the board?

If so, any feedback on how the game played? It seems to me it would open up the early game quite a bit, but aside from that I am not sure how it would hold up.

Thoughts?

Hmmm...

While I've never tried it, I don't think I'd like it.

Firstly, I guess our group hasn't found the struggle over the action spot in a 3P game to "break" the game or anything. Sure it's important and sort of something that needs to be hashed out before the players go their separate ways, but nothing broken. Sometimes even the player that comes out of the tussle with an edge in expanding their action count still loses. Maybe that's cause we're terrible, maybe not though. But since Agricola and really this game, anytime a game features an ability to increase your actions similar to this (basically increasing action point allowance) it's always hotly contested in the most bitter and straining ways possible. Then we shake it out and see if any of the hassle/expense was worth it or even if the it results in a dominating strategy. The result here with this game was it didn't guarantee any winner.

Secondly, I've found the game to be to open with 3 on the 3-4 player map. I guess I like the tension but this game depends on it. It's almost too big as is- altho I usually push for the this sort of thing in most games- like 4P on a 3-4 instead of 4P on the 4-5. Always my rule of thumb!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My friends and I have only played a few games so far, so I am not saying the game is broken. I am simply going by what others have posted on these forums, where the start of a 3 player game seems to be all about getting the third action or the "Remove 3" bonus marker.

I was just curious if anyone had tried it, I am not saying that playing on the 2-3p side is unbalanced, since we really don't have enough games under our belts to make such a statement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.