Popular Tags: [View All]
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I notice the money tokens all have a matching "back".

I didn't spot it in the rules, but is it intended to be played with "hidden money"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manore
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Warlord beats Troll, Troll beats Elf, Elf beats Water Sprite, and basically everything else beats Enchanted Bunny.
mbmbmbmbmb
We don't hide our Ryo when we play... nor do we really hide our money when playing other games like Automobile or Power Grid. I don't personally see an advantage/disadvantage to hide money or resources in Edo for that matter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Büttner-Zimmermann
Germany
München
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
Wiggle It!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I could also put my Smartphone on the table and let it calculate each time you get or spend money... *shrug*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, it seems to be trackable and doesn't seem to matter too much by hiding it, so I wondered if there was a reason I was missing of having the currency having a "back", as it seems like it would have been much more convenient to be the same on both sides.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YaVerOt YaVerOt
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
Armchair warriors often fail, and we've been poisoned by these fairy tales.
badge
Aoi Aoi toki ga toke dasheta.
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't find it right now, but it does mention how Rice, Wood and Stone are are public, and that the money is single-side so it can be hidden. And it feels like you can't hide if you do or don't have money, just how much.

Edit: Also the back has the symbol for money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manore
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Warlord beats Troll, Troll beats Elf, Elf beats Water Sprite, and basically everything else beats Enchanted Bunny.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, resources are in the open. But if you really wanted to track an opponent's Ryo, it wouldn't be difficult to figure it out if you pay attention to how they stack it. Especially if you're the banker. ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Malz
Germany
Vechelde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
lfisher wrote:
I notice the money tokens all have a matching "back".

I didn't spot it in the rules, but is it intended to be played with "hidden money"?

Hello Lee,

The corresponding sentence in the rules is:
Quote:
Note: Players may keep their money hidden by stacking it.

on page 3, upper left.

The important word is "may", so you can decide for yourself if you want to hide the money or not. Most players prefer to do so, just to make it as hard as possible for their fellow players to track their money amount (as do I).

There are some situations where it's important to "know" whether my opponents have enough money to build a fortress or two, enough money to trade two power points, or enough money to reach 50/100 Ryo at the game's end.

Due to the many small payments one makes for traveling, trading, and building, you can't usually track all players' money amounts precisely.

I prefer this small uncertainty for tension's sake - but you can of course decide to play with open money...

Best regards
Stefan Malz
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.