Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Chick (Formerly Paul O'Sullivan)
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
Fag an bealac! Riam nar druid ar sbarin lann! Cuimhnigidh ar Luimnech agus feall na Sassonach! Erin go Bragh! Remember Limerick! Remember Ireland and Fontenoy!
badge
Well, I'm afraid it'll have to wait. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?
mbmbmbmbmb
During the American Civil War the armies only slowly moved towards a formal corps organization, with George McClellan's Army of the Potomac leading the way. Eventually both armies started not only using corps, but each earned reputations and had a character all their own. Lee's First Corps was seen as the non-Virginia club, XI Corps was noted for its heavy concentration of Germans, etc.

Joseph Hooker, inspired by the heroic (and unfortunately dead) Philip Kearny, ordered Daniel Butterfield to design badges for the Army of the Potomac. The practice spread and by war's end only three corps lacked a badge: XIII, McCook's XX (XI and XII combined to become the new XX Corps in 1864), and XXI Corps.

Here is the wikipedia entry, complete with the badges: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Civil_War_Corps_Badges

While Lee's army apparently dd not make anything approaching badge, the Army of Tennessee's two corps went into battle with distinct flags.

I Corps had this Flag

II corps used the flag in this painting, although I believe in 1864 the flag was associated solely with Cleburne's division, which was transferred to I Corps.

Why the history lesson?

Well, we have a bevy of microbadges for famous WWII units but I think we could use the same for the Union corps badges and the Army of Tennessee's two flags. I know I'd buy nearly all of them. I might repost this at the microbadge submission forum, but it seemed right to put it here first, in case any wargamers who like designing badges were willing to take up the cause.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Pierotte
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You seem to have provide a link to the wikipedia terms of use page. I think this might be the correct link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Civil_War_Corps_Badges

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
Fag an bealac! Riam nar druid ar sbarin lann! Cuimhnigidh ar Luimnech agus feall na Sassonach! Erin go Bragh! Remember Limerick! Remember Ireland and Fontenoy!
badge
Well, I'm afraid it'll have to wait. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?
mbmbmbmbmb
korangar wrote:
You seem to have provide a link to the wikipedia terms of use page. I think this might be the correct link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Civil_War_Corps_Badges

Fixed. Thanks for the heads up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
thumbsup

I would have trouble deciding which badges to purchase...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
pete belli wrote:
thumbsup

You'd buy all of them Pete!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
pete belli wrote:
thumbsup

Figure also each Corp badge came in three different colors. Red, White and Blue. I Corps badge was a circle so the red would look like the Japanese flag and white would be...white.

Also some other badges today are associated with different things. For example note the VII and VIIII Corps badges.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll probably take a XV Corps badge... 40 rounds!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No surprise I'd take I Corp I Division. The Iron Brigade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mrbeankc wrote:
Also some other badges today are associated with different things. For example note the VII and VIIII Corps badges.

Thankfully we have the mouse scroll over telling us what the badge means. Otherwise I'd look like a Jew/Muslim who won an Iron Cross in the Irish army while helping out the red cross.

Do you want to take a crack at this Brian?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pete belli wrote:
thumbsup

I'd probably get about 80% of them. The badges in the front of the list: II, V, IX, XII, XIV, XV, XIX, and XXV.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gittes wrote:
mrbeankc wrote:

Thankfully we have the mouse scroll over telling us what the badge means. Otherwise I'd look like a Jew/Muslim who won an Iron Cross in the Irish army while helping out the red cross.

Won't have the time for a bit. I definitely will buy a few of them though.

The hard ones will be the white ones. It will require a border similar to the one for the Agricola sheep badge.

That badge was done by

It wasn't a rock
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

You might contact him about them. I did several animeeple badges but that sheep drove me nuts and I finally gave up on it. Couldn't get it to look right. He did a great job on it getting the look I was after. I think he could do the white badges in a similar manner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mrbeankc wrote:
gittes wrote:
mrbeankc wrote:

Won't have the time for a bit. I definitely will buy a few of them though.

The hard ones will be the white ones. It will require a border similar to the one for the Agricola sheep badge.

That badge was done by

It wasn't a rock
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

You might contact him about them. I did several animeeple badges but that sheep drove me nuts and I finally gave up on it. Couldn't get it to look right. He did a great job on it getting the look I was after. I think he could do the white badges in a similar manner.

Thanks for the suggestion Brian. I'll contact the lobster and see what can be done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Constantelos
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A Geeklist of the Corps, wiht exploits and commanders mentioned, would be great, and save of good deal of Wikipedia research!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
sbconstant wrote:
A Geeklist of the Corps, wiht exploits and commanders mentioned, would be great, and save of good deal of Wikipedia research!

That would one hell of a GeekList, and quite confusing!

For example:

After the XX Corps was mauled at Chickamauga it was reformed by combining the XI Corps and XII Corps from the Army of the Potomac. Those two units ceased to exist.

During the entire conflict the XXII Corps never functioned as a unit... it was essentially a headquarters for the Washington garrison.

Other corps identities were juggled (IV Corps, for example) and two other corps (I and III) were discontinued after heavy losses at Gettysburg... but wait! Late in the war a new I Corps was authorized; it never finished being assembled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G. Harding Warren
United States
Arnold
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game Blue vs. Gray employs a card for each Union Corps, with a full explanation of where the corps fought, how it might have changed composition and who commanded it. They are very neat.

Here is a list kinda off the top of my head:

I Corps. Initially commanded by McDowell. They fought in the Valley Campaign and were shuttled back and forth to variously defend Washington, continue operations in the Valley and help McClellan on the Peninsula (they didn't quite make it there, if I recall). They played a big role in the Second Manassas campaign as part of Pope's Army of Virginia. After that, Hooker took command and led them at Antietam. Reynolds took command for the Fredericksburg campaign, and led them through Chancellorsville and notably at Gettysburg, where they were a huge part of the first day's fighting. After Reynolds was killed, Doubleday took temporary command, which then passed to John Newton. Grant did a reorganization of the Army of the Potomac in 1864, and given the I Corps's big losses, they were consolidated into the V Corps under Warren.

II Corps. This was Edwin Sumner's command (I always liked this guy). They formed the heart of the AoP. Sumner led them through the Peninsula, Second Manassas, Antietam. He took on a wing command under Burnside, so the II Corps was placed under Darius Couch's command for Fredericksburg and Chancellorsville. Winfield Scott Hancock replaced Couch at Gettysburg and led them through the rest of the war. In the 1864 reorganization, the II Corps took on what was left of the III Corps (Birney's and Humphreys's divisions). Great group of fellows.

III Corps. This was Samuel Heintzelman's command on the Peninsula. He commanded them throughout 1862 for Manassas and Antietam (though they were resting up in Washington during the latter battle). Phil Kearney and Joe Hooker were the division commanders during this time. Kearney was killed at Chantilly after 2nd Manassas. When Heintzelman was to be replaced, Hooker was already gone and command was given to George Stoneman, later commander of cavalry. They engaged in very heavy fighting at Chancellorsville and Gettysburg under Dan Sickles. After Gettysburg, the command was given to French, who led them poorly during the Mine Run campaign. They had an extra division during that time, under Carr (?). His division was placed with the VI Corps during the reorganization, with the other divisions given to the II Corps.

IV Corps. Erasmus Keyes was the commander. What a name. Cool looking guy, too. They fought at the Peninsula and were heavily engaged at Seven Pines. They were split up mid-way in the campaign and part of them formed the VI Corps (Franklin and Smith's divisions). Many of their troops were left on the Peninsula and they were no longer a part of the AoP. Later, the IV Corps was reestablished as a totally different organization formed out of McCook's and Crittenden's western corps.

V Corps. These fellows were the veterans. They were under Porter's command and fought hard at Gaines Mill on the Peninsula. Porter led them at Second Manassas (and got flack for his perceived delays), and at Antietam (where they were in reserve). At Fredericksburg, Porter was replaced with Daniel Butterfield, Hooker's buddy. Butterfield left to become chief of staff to Hooker at Chancellorsville, and George Meade took command. When he was promoted prior to Gettysburg, Delawarean George Sykes took command. He in turn was replaced by Warren, the hero of Gettysburg. Warren led them to the end of the war (other than for a brief hiatus). The V Corps took on members of the I Corps in the 1864 reshuffle.

VI Corps. Created out of Keyes's IV Corps. Franklin led them on the Peninsula, Second Manassas and Antietam. He, like Sumner, was given a wing command at Fredericksburg, so Baldy Smith was made their leader. John Sedgwick took over at Chancellorsville, engaging the Rebs on the Fredericksburg side of the field. He led them through Gettysburg (though they arrived rather late) and in the opening of the Overland Campaign. He was killed at Spotsylvania, whereupon command was handed to Horatio Wright. As I said, they took on one of the III Corps divisions in the reshuffle.

VII Corps. These fellows stayed behind on the Peninsula. If I'm not mistaken, they kept Longstreet busy in the days leading up to the Chancellorsville campaign.

VIII Corps. This one kinda confuses me. They seem to have had the job of defending the northern Shenandoah. I think it was these troops under Lew Wallace who responded to Jubal Early's 1864 raid on Washington.

IX Corps. Burnside's men. They fought everywhere, gaining initial glory in North Carolina. They fought in the Antietam campaign under Reno's and Cox's command. Orlando Wilcox took over when Burnside was given AofP command. They were shipped to Knoxville to defend during the Chattanooga campaign. They came back to the East to fight with Grant in the Overland campaign. Strange career, this bunch.

X Corps. Peninsula warriors who became a part of Butler's Army of the James, after being reformed into the XXIV and XXV Corps. I always get these guys confused with the VII Corps. I think Quincy Gillmore commanded them at some point.

XI Corps. The Krauts. These were the sad Germans who fought Stonewall in the Shenandoah. They were led first by John Fremont, but Franz Sigel was their more memorable commander. They became a part of Pope's Army of Virginia. They were not present for Antietam or Fredericksburg, but were noted for getting the stuffing beat out of them at Chancellorsville and Gettysburg, where Oliver Howard commanded them. They were shipped to Tennessee for Chattanooga and then were re-formed into the XX Corps, along with the AoP's XII Corps. Hooker took over command of these forces. They played a big role in the March to the Sea as well.

XII Corps. Nathaniel Banks commanded them. Shared a lot of the same fate as the XI Corps, except they did fight at Antietam, under the command of John Mansfield. Henry Slocum was moved over from divisional command in the VI Corps to lead them at Chancellorsville and Gettysburg.

XIII Corps. This was Grant's command. They were the later led by McClernand and, after Vicksburg, by Ord. Some of the divisions went with Banks on the Red River campaign.

XIV Corps. They were the heart of the Army of the Cumberland. George Thomas had command. McCook's and Crittenden's men were split off into their own corps after Murfreesboro. Thomas had command of this Corps at Chickamauga and when he became the head of the army, command passed to Palmer.

XV Corps. Very cool corps badge. They fought with Grant--basically Sherman's command. John Logan took over after Vicksburg and led them through the Atlanta campaign.

XVI Corps. Hurlbut's troops. They fought with Grant. You will recognize the names of their various division commanders from Shiloh--Veatch, Sweeny, Lauman. Dodge led them at Atlanta. They had a kind of complicated history.

XVII Corps. Another part of Grant's army. Led by McPherson at Vicksburg and Atlanta. When McPherson was promoted, Francis Blair took command.

XVIII Corps. Baldy Smith commanded these guys back east. They formed half of Butler's Army of the James (and were split up by race into the XXIV and XXV Corps). I always think of Cold Harbor when I think of this unit.

XIX Corps. Banks's army of the Gulf. They were at Port Hudson and fought the Red River campaign.

XX Corps. This was set up to be McCook's wing of the Army of the Cumberland. After getting beat up at Chickamauga, this Corps became the the command comprising the old XI and XII Corps shipped from the East. McCook's men formed with Crittenden's XXI Corps the new IV Corps.

XXI Corps. This was Crittenden's wing of the Army of the Cumberland.

XXII Corps. These guys defended Washington. I always think of Silas Casey (the old division commander under Keyes in the IV Corps) and "heavy artillery" when I think of them.

XXIII Corps. Schofield's command. Though it was styled the "Army of the Ohio", it was just this corps. Fought during the Atlanta campaign and Hood's foray into Tennessee.

XXIV Corps. This were the white troops from the X and XVIII Corps forming a part of the Army of the James. Ord commanded them at Petersburg.

XXV Corps. These were the black troops. Godfrey Weitzel commanded them at Petersburg.

I'm sure there are mistakes above which you all might correct. But I think it's a fair outline. You will note that I have a major Eastern bias.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pete belli wrote:
sbconstant wrote:

That would one hell of a GeekList, and quite confusing!

For example:

After the XX Corps was mauled at Chickamauga it was reformed by combining the XI Corps and XII Corps from the Army of the Potomac. Those two units ceased to exist.

During the entire conflict the XXII Corps never functioned as a unit... it was essentially a headquarters for the Washington garrison.

Other corps identities were juggled (IV Corps, for example) and two other corps (I and III) were discontinued after heavy losses at Gettysburg... but wait! Late in the war a new I Corps was authorized; it never finished being assembled.

I could do such a list. It is at least worth considering. Of course some entries would be very short. I am looking right at you VII Corps.

My only cool XXII Corps fact is that many eastern units were a member at one time or another, since each stopped in DC before being assigned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UHB1 wrote:
I'm sure there are mistakes above which you all might correct. But I think it's a fair outline. You will note that I have a major Eastern bias.

Naw man you did a great job. I mean how times a day do you hear the name Silas Casey?

I'm just adding some things for color. I'm also more of an 1864 kind of guy.

Quote:
II Corps. This was Edwin Sumner's command (I always liked this guy). They formed the heart of the AoP. Sumner led them through the Peninsula, Second Manassas, Antietam. He took on a wing command under Burnside, so the II Corps was placed under Darius Couch's command for Fredericksburg and Chancellorsville. Winfield Scott Hancock replaced Couch at Gettysburg and led them through the rest of the war. In the 1864 reorganization, the II Corps took on what was left of the III Corps (Birney's and Humphreys's divisions). Great group of fellows.

After Cold Harbor their combat effectiveness was rather poor due to heavy losses. Grant and Meade stilled used them as shock troops, even after their failures at Petersburg and the Jerusalem Plank Road. Then came Ream's Station. The corps only recovered after a long rest.

Quote:
V Corps. These fellows were the veterans. They were under Porter's command and fought hard at Gaines Mill on the Peninsula. Porter led them at Second Manassas (and got flack for his perceived delays), and at Antietam (where they were in reserve). At Fredericksburg, Porter was replaced with Daniel Butterfield, Hooker's buddy. Butterfield left to become chief of staff to Hooker at Chancellorsville, and George Meade took command. When he was promoted prior to Gettysburg, Delawarean George Sykes took command. He in turn was replaced by Warren, the hero of Gettysburg. Warren led them to the end of the war (other than for a brief hiatus). The V Corps took on members of the I Corps in the 1864 reshuffle.

After Petersburg their effectiveness dropped off, culminating in the most awkward Union victory of the war: globe Tavern. Although V Corps took the position, thousands surrendered. Grant and Meade took note and rested this corps, which later played a major role at Five Forks.

Quote:
VII Corps. These fellows stayed behind on the Peninsula. If I'm not mistaken, they kept Longstreet busy in the days leading up to the Chancellorsville campaign.

They were later absorbed into other corps (particular II and XVIII) then reformed in Arkansas, where they were nearly destroyed by Sterling Price during the Camden Expedition.

Quote:
VIII Corps. This one kinda confuses me. They seem to have had the job of defending the northern Shenandoah. I think it was these troops under Lew Wallace who responded to Jubal Early's 1864 raid on Washington.

They were a mixed garrison and active fighting force. Although often derided by other veterans, this corps was very effective at Piedmont and Fisher's Hill.

Quote:
IX Corps. Burnside's men. They fought everywhere, gaining initial glory in North Carolina. They fought in the Antietam campaign under Reno's and Cox's command. Orlando Wilcox took over when Burnside was given AofP command. They were shipped to Knoxville to defend during the Chattanooga campaign. They came back to the East to fight with Grant in the Overland campaign. Strange career, this bunch.

Also took part in the siege of Vicksburg. I guess their next stop after Richmond fell was Mexico, Canada, or the moon. Take your pick.

They are one of my favorite corps because their record is mixed and they fought everywhere.

Quote:
X Corps. Peninsula warriors who became a part of Butler's Army of the James, after being reformed into the XXIV and XXV Corps. I always get these guys confused with the VII Corps. I think Quincy Gillmore commanded them at some point.

Formed to take Charleston. Failed and then were sent to fight with Butler, where they failed some more. This might be the most hard luck outfit in the Union army outside of maybe XIX Corps. I don't think X Corps ever won a battle. Two of the most lopsided Union defeats were suffered by this corps: Fort Wagner and Olustee.

Quote:
XI Corps. The Krauts. These were the sad Germans who fought Stonewall in the Shenandoah. They were led first by John Fremont, but Franz Sigel was their more memorable commander. They became a part of Pope's Army of Virginia. They were not present for Antietam or Fredericksburg, but were noted for getting the stuffing beat out of them at Chancellorsville and Gettysburg, where Oliver Howard commanded them. They were shipped to Tennessee for Chattanooga and then were re-formed into the XX Corps, along with the AoP's XII Corps. Hooker took over command of these forces. They played a big role in the March to the Sea as well.

By 1864 they had lost much of their famed German identity, particularly as the German units mustered out.

Quote:
XV Corps. Very cool corps badge. They fought with Grant--basically Sherman's command. John Logan took over after Vicksburg and led them through the Atlanta campaign.

Surprisingly cocky given their mixed record.

Quote:
XVII Corps. Another part of Grant's army. Led by McPherson at Vicksburg and Atlanta. When McPherson was promoted, Francis Blair took command.

Could be rightly called "the corps that won the Vicksburg campaign." They did much of the fighting and rarely let Grant down. Their role in the Atlanta campaign was more limited.

Quote:
XVIII Corps. Baldy Smith commanded these guys back east. They formed half of Butler's Army of the James (and were split up by race into the XXIV and XXV Corps). I always think of Cold Harbor when I think of this unit.

Their most infamous moment came on June 15 when they failed to take Petersburg in spite of enjoying a massive advantage.

Quote:
XIX Corps. Banks's army of the Gulf. They were at Port Hudson and fought the Red River campaign.

After the Red River they were sent to Virginia. Instead of fighting at Petersburg they fought under Sheridan in the Shenandoah Valley. They occupied the region after Sheridan went back to Petersburg.

Quote:
XX Corps. This was set up to be McCook's wing of the Army of the Cumberland. After getting beat up at Chickamauga, this Corps became the the command comprising the old XI and XII Corps shipped from the East. McCook's men formed with Crittenden's XXI Corps the new IV Corps

Their lines collapsed at Perryville and Stones River and were mauled at Chickamauga. Much of this had to do with McCook, who was described as a "chuckle head." McCook's division commanders were solid (Sheridan, Johnson, Davis), but they needed a guiding hand.

Quote:
XXV Corps. These were the black troops. Godfrey Weitzel commanded them at Petersburg.

They were the first troops to enter Richmond. Poetic justice anyone?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.