Terry Simo
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone please explain how Intruders work for intercepting raids over England.

As the German player - how do you know a raid is in the space. Can you attack raids that are just taking off (but that isn't modeled as they don't show up til Mandrel line) or do you just time for when they enter the England box for landing/recovery?

Bit confused on best strategy to use for Intruders - especially during Downfall scenarios?

I'm on my 4th game but have yet to see Intruders used.

Thanks,

T-Mo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Taylor
United States
Unspecified
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played the game less than you have, but I just read the Intruder rule and here's my take on it.

1. Intruders attack returning raids over England before they recover. (In the game, outbound raids don't exist until they appear in a Mandrel hex.) Since a Berlin scenario main force raid's bomber stream returns to England one turn after the Raid counter does, an intruder will have two opportunities to attack it before it recovers.

2. It is not necessary to have a raid detected to attack it with intruders. If an undetected raid is in the England space with an intruder, the British player must inform you of this. Intruders work like GCI in that respect.

As for strategy, that's a good question. My hunch is that intruder tactics are preferred only if the Gruppe isn't useful in any of the other possible roles (Wild Boar, Tame Boar, or GCI). The Air Defence of Great Britain attacks intruders every turn they are over England, so time their arrival to avoid them being attacked unnecessarily. Since the ADGB attacks only one intruder per turn, it might be worthwhile to "flood the zone" with multiple intruders in the Downfall scenario. (You're limited to one intruder in the Berlin scenario.) Intruder tactics become more attractive in Downfall because each bomber loss is 2 VPs vice 1 VP in Berlin. Another consideration is that intruders don't have to infiltrate a raid to attack it, so if you have a choice between a low-probability Tame Boar infiltration or sending the Gruppe to England as an intruder, the intruder might be the better bet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Simo
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Roger,

Thanks for the tips. With the limited number of units in Downfall and being saturated by the multiple raids and mosquito flights - not alot of units to cash in on Intruder ops - especially since you are not faster than the raids. You'd probably have to fudge when a raid is recovering and be in harms way over England for a turn or two before catching a raid recovering. Tough situation. I'm currently playing a Downfall scenario with full weather and 3JD is socked in with Fog taking out over a 1/3 of my NF force to deal with 7 raids of varying types coming in. It's rough being a NF Commandant! shake

T-Mo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.