Popular Tags: [View All]
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Imminent weather alerts. Starting June 2012 on all WES-capable devices. Sure, you can opt out, but I, for one, am looking forward to this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Edwards
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
YA R'LYAH
badge
Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn! With cheeze!
mbmbmbmbmb
Feh, from the looks of it, only the latest devices have the capability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
I live on the edge of tornado ally. This is something that will save lives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dixon
United States
Mauldin
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can I opt out of this guy calling my cell phone?

He's called twice in the past two days...

Diis
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
The reason this is big here in tornado country is currently we have two main ways of tornado warning. The first are the sirens or as they are sometimes known the "grab your camera, run outside and look sirens". The sirens however are designed mainly to warn people outside. Depending on your location to the closest siren you may not hear them indoors. Sirens also are known to not work from time to time. Years ago we had a small tornado in Kansas City Kansas that did a number on a car dealership. one out of every three sirens failed even though they were tested monthly. New sirens were installed after that replacing the old ones which were 50 years old.

Secondly are weather radios. The problem there is they are not mobile. I have mine in the bedroom to wake me if I'm asleep. The problem there is I won't hear it if I'm in the garage or downstairs.

There are tornado warning apps for phones but the way they work is they check every 3-30 minutes to see if there is a warning (you can adjust the setting). That really drains your cell phone battery, especially when you have it set to the most often setting. I tried one out and I could literally hear my cell phone battery cry. Also if the warning comes in just after your phone has checked you could get a delay in your warning and with a tornado 5 minutes is a long delay.

Today by the way is the one year anniversary of the Joplin tornado. Had this system been in place lives could have been saved there as many people died who were out shopping and the tornado hit a commercial area. Had this system been in place people who were out shopping with their cell phones on them would have had greater warning.

The system has another function that folks in earthquake country (as I use to be in when I lived in California). The system in the future will be able to give short warnings in advance of earthquakes. There is a similar system in place now for emergency services. The service is hooked up to a series of seismographs around the west coast. If a large earthquake happens it can give a short advanced warning of 30 seconds to maybe a few minutes as the system puts out the warning ahead of the shock wave.

Now 30 seconds may not sound like much but let's say you're on a ladder or some other vulnerable spot. You hear the warning you now have time to get to a safer spot for the oncoming shock waves. The system is currently in place for emergency services. In Loma Prieta several fire stations were undamaged except for the doors on the firehouses which jammed shut thus locking the fire engines inside. With the system when it detects the earthquake a signal goes out and all the doors on the fire stations automatically raise up allowing the engines to get out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chanfan wrote:
Feh, from the looks of it, only the latest devices have the capability.

Yep. Looks like we'll be buying new phones soon. We were due for it a year ago anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Babcock
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Winkles is here to help!
badge
Please let me know how I can help you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Too bad none of those pages clearly state what phones are WEA capable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Solamar wrote:
Too bad none of those pages clearly state what phones are WEA capable.

amwiles wrote:

This page actually does, but you have to click on "Is my device capable of receiving Wireless Emergency Alerts?" There is not a separate URL that I can link to with it already clicked open. From there you need to click on your provider. At least Verizon has theirs listed. I don't know about the rest; I only looked at the one that applied to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Babcock
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Winkles is here to help!
badge
Please let me know how I can help you.
mbmbmbmbmb
I clicked through on AT&T and there was no specific information.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.