Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Boyes
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got a West Point graduate gaming opponent. We play weekly.

Recently during a game of TANK ON TANK (which we use to round out each evening) he said he'd like to get into something that has more detail distinguishing armor types. I thought "oh boy, finally someone to play WSR (and Op Cobra) with!" We have been playing A HOUSE DIVIDED, BULGE, AFRIKA KORPS, WASHINGTON'S WAR, block games, quads, etc.

I struggled with the font of BLOOD AND BRIDGES counters, WSR was a bit better although the contrast on some units tends to hide various numbers, but WSR: OPERATION COBRA is a step backwards.

Lack of contrast between the numbers and background make many of the counters nearly unreadable. There isn't too much else to the WSR: OC expansion than counters and scenarios. I can't believe they wouldn't just give this expansion away.

I hope someone is enjoying this. The linked scenario campaign idea is neat. The other scenarios look fine too, but those counters, ugh.

If I get around to giving it a try it will be with a magnifying glass in hand under extremely well lit conditions.

Well, at least maybe I can get my opponent to play WSR, the original.

Now here's the kicker. I've got DESERT HEAT on pre-order (and IDD and T on T EF). It's got to get better.

I bet the counters look great while being designed on a computer display. The printed version is unacceptable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
I'm nearly 50, the read fine. WAW are a bit tight. But after while I ignore the font as I know most of the values anyway.
Hope the rest get better for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ellis
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, once you get familar with the values, reading the counters becomes automatic.

Glad you liked the linked Cobra mini campaign. I was one of the play testers, and had to stop myself from replaying it so that i could enjoy the finished product. Another masterpiece from Matt Lohse!

Finger crossed that Desert Heat makes the cut.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Petters
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think he should give it away too, especially to me since I missed out on getting a copy (silly me thought they'd still be around come Origins)

I have problems with several of the fonts. The German SS in BoH (black sillouetted on black) is another instance... stronger reading glasses cures my issues tho..

Maybe Mark should also issue reading glasses... ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ellis
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to agree with you on the SS counters Dean, its not exactly the best choice of contrasts for the colours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Boyes
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One solution is to only play scenarios that don't involve the worst counters.

That's how I handled the previous games with similar problems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The lack of contrast on some of the counter information does leave you wishing that they were better, but it is not a game killer for me. I think the main saving grace is that within a turn or so, you mostly remember the values anyway.

An alternative is to create some data cards like GMT's Panzer games have, that you can use in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.