Popular Tags: [View All]
Gandalf the Grey
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So me and my group were playing last night and we ran into the following situation:

4-player game.

Start of turn phase

Player A, has the "start of turn" marker.
Player A, invests a coin.

Player D, plays the culture card "Counterfeiters" on player A.
(this card forces another player to discard a coin token)

Player A argues that, because she has the first player marker, she can invest her coin "before" player D can play his "counterfeiters" card.

Player D argued that Culture cards can be played at anytime.

Our Group did not know how to deal with this aspect of the game.

What do you guys think about this aspect of the game?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Santoro
Brazil
São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
I remember that players play the Start of Turn simultaneously. So you can use the card. Also, if you couldn't, the power of this card would be significantly diminished.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Danielson
United States
Mountlake Terrace
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Player A will complete their Start of Turn phase first and then if any coins are left over could be the target of the card turning other players Start of Turn phase.

Culture Cards can not be played at any time, they specify the phase in which they can be played on your turn or if it has a special trigger that will allow you to interrupt another players turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While there is no official statement from FFG on this matter, the unofficial consensus on these forums is that Start of Turn phase is done in Starting Player order. Therefore, player A will invest before player D can play his Counterfeiters. The utility of the Coin breaking Culture Cards is mostly in stopping an economic victory; you need to get the timing right to stop Investments.

Therefore, as of FaF, only Trade and Research phase are simultaneous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Andersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
It says in the rules that, if you need a phase to be in turn order, you can declare this and the phase will be played in turn order. It says that somewhere in the rules.

If more players in the Trade phase want to use HBR Trade ability, then it obviously has to go on turn since you want to who the other players gives their trade to.

As for Counterfeiters, only if it can interrupt, you can play it in the enemy's turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Siwanowicz
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
base game page 13:

"1. Start of Turn

...The first player has the opportunity to perform these actions during the Start of Turn Phase. After the first player has performed all the start of turn actions they wish to, play passes to the player's left, and the next player may then perform all of their desired start of turn actions, until all players have had a chance to do so."

The Start of Turn phase is done in turn order, so an investment can be performed before counterfitters can be played by a player later in turn order.

That doesn't make the Counterfitters card worthless, it just means that it is subject to turn order. On the flip side, it menas that you will always have the opportunity to invest if you are the starting player, so others cannot conspire to just kill all your coins every turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JanSiwanowicz wrote:
On the flip side, it menas that you will always have the opportunity to invest if you are the starting player, so others cannot conspire to just kill all your coins every turn.

That's one of the reasons why the Castle Waterdeep space is so important.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricardo Donoso
Brazil
RIBEIRÃO PRETO
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IirionClaus wrote:
While there is no official statement from FFG on this matter, the unofficial consensus on these forums is that Start of Turn phase is done in Starting Player order. Therefore, player A will invest before player D can play his Counterfeiters. The utility of the Coin breaking Culture Cards is mostly in stopping an economic victory; you need to get the timing right to stop Investments.

Therefore, as of FaF, only Trade and Research phase are simultaneous.

+1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Santoro
Brazil
São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
So I was wrong, but I think this card is weak this way. This card was not present in base game. Maybe it should aldo read "this can interrupt an investment".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricardo Donoso
Brazil
RIBEIRÃO PRETO
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PauloSantoro wrote:
So I was wrong, but I think this card is weak this way. This card was not present in base game. Maybe it should aldo read "this can interrupt an investment".

It is just a matter of keeping it till the right moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gandalf the Grey
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just found in the rule book on page 12:
1. Start of Turn
During this phase, the first player marker is passed one player
to the left (except on the first turn). Then, the new first player
performs any start of turn actions (usually found on wonders
or culture event cards), builds any new cities (see page 13), and
changes governments if desired (see page 14). After the first
player completes their Start of Turn Phase, the player to the
first player’s left begins their Start of Turn Phase. This process
continues until all players have completed their Start of Turn
Phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.