Aaron Gelb
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a look at the white walkers in the background in the following picture, what kind of paint/finish/gloss do I need to get that effect?

I realize there are shiny glosses, but this seems like some special kind of paint or substance...looks almost like porcelain on your white stove...

Thanks!

(by the way, this is from the upcoming miniatures game DROPZONE COMMANDER...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron D
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
Mercury is my dog's name.
badge
I like hats.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's hard to say without better pictures. The white models aren't completely in focus and I'm not sure what light source is on them. If I had to guess, I would suppose it is either a very heavy coat of gloss varnish over a very subtley highlighted white paintjob or some sort of enamel.

You might have a bit more luck asking in the Miniature Painters Guild.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
What he said - carefully done greys with white, and a very heavy varnish. Might even be a skin of PVA glue in there.

Oh, and the fact that they are out of focus helps a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Gelb
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks...I didn't take the pictures, but they're the only ones online I could find with that kind of finish.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
Just in case you misunderstood me - that glossy, enamel look is improved by the model being slightly out of focus - they will look less polished when in focus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Original Dibbler
Germany
Aachen
NRW
flag msg tools
designer
What's one damage?
badge
It's na-fing!
mbmbmbmbmb
JasonJ0 wrote:
Just in case you misunderstood me - that glossy, enamel look is improved by the model being slightly out of focus - they will look less polished when in focus.

I suppose in reality they are as glossy as the ones in front.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
No, I don't think so - they're definitely quite glossy, and the ones at the front either don't have a varnish or have a matte varnish, it's just that being out of focus takes away a few edges. I'd still be interested to know the exact technique used, because I've never managed it myself

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Original Dibbler
Germany
Aachen
NRW
flag msg tools
designer
What's one damage?
badge
It's na-fing!
mbmbmbmbmb
When I paint minis I seal them with a glossy varnish beneath a matt varnish. After the first varnish they are nearly as glossy as the ones on the picture. Therefore I am quite sure that they simply applied a few layers of the right varnish.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh G. Rection
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That pic is from a trade show / con in a large hall where there's dozens of light sources overhead from varying angles. That might have something to do with it as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Yeah, I agree with the guy above me, that it is more than likely the lighting that is adding to what is probably just a normal gloss finish to the models. I typically use matte finish on everything, but glossy will come out like that with camera flashes and the lighting is wrong (or in this case, right) - which stinks if you used it on anything that isn't normally shiny like a face or pants, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg S
United States
Pipersville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The use of a gloss polyeurethane spray would give you that look, as well as the use of Future floor polish shot through an airbrush.

I also agree with the statement that you'd want a smooth paint finish in the first place. Again, either spray or airbrush would do the trick.

As far as getting the effect of the panel lines you might want to do an internet search for "sludge wash" (I'm not making it up!). That would definitely do the trick.

If you want more info, feel free to PM me!

Regards,
GregS
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.