Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nushura
United States
Boston
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all,

Yesterday we tried our first game against Citizen Dawn (4 players) and we basically stomped her. IT was so easy that it actually became boring, so we guess that we are doing something wrong?

Essentially the problem was that at the start of the round (enemy phase) she plays one card that in many cases is a citizen that attacks us.

We had Ra and Wrath with a card each that, whenever they are attacked they send back 2 damage. Ra had Imbued Fire (all damage is fire and +1 damage). On top of this, Tempest had his electrical storm (1 damage to everyone for free) + Gene-bound shackles in early game (+2 damage to boss).

So basically each round we were doing enough damage to kill any minions she would summon. The rest of the game was to slooowly peel her off life (doing 3-5 damage per player)

So maybe we are doing something wrong? If we understood correctly, the boss makes one move (i.e., card), and all players get to do one move each, right? Our powers are not so strong, but clearly they are not four times weaker.

What about electrical storm or flame barrier? Don't you think they are a bit too powerful? or are we interpreting them wrong?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ketigid ketigid
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you start the game with 3 citizens in play?

Did you flip her when 5 citizens died?

Did you try advance mode?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everything between now and the next game is just killing time
England
London
Agitation
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aside from playing a villain card during the 'villain play a card' phase were you doing the other actions on her rules card (i.e. dealing 2 damage to the highest HP hero during the 'end of villain's turn' phase).

Are any of the cards you mention (or indeed any of the cards in the game) too powerful? No.

In the cases you mention you have to take the damage in order to deal the damage back out, so that's chipping away at your HP (and it's only the first attack each turn so others get an 'unopposed' strike against you).
And 1 damage to everyone at the start of your turn (and only your turn, not every turn)? Depending on the cards out that can hurt you as much as help you, you're not the only one with flaming shield type cards!

Of course it's equally possible that you just don't like the genre and this isn't the game for you but I'd give it a second play just to see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
Was the Wraith scouting with her Infrared whateveritscalled each turn? If not, you were very lucky not to encounter Dawn's nuke - two of the cards in her deck are basically "Destroy all non-villain permanents".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nushura
United States
Boston
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies, let's see:

-Yes, she started with 3 citizens in play...which we erradicated quite quickly.

-We did flip her...then she played two cards which turned out to be citizens. United with the one that comes back from the trash...she was flipped for only half a round. We then nuked them all. With all the AoE effects they died quite quickly

-We did NOT try advanced mode...but well, it was our first game

-She was doing her 2HP damage per round, plus the damage of all citizens, and environment (unless we forgot some at some point). Heroes were going down in life a lot, but basically we were damaging her more then she to us. We ran her down before any of us got below 10 hp. Tempest had the "heal 2 HP to all heroes" power but never got to use it (he was using the default 1 damage to all non-heroes power)

-Wraith was not using the infrared card: the first "destroy all cards" event appeared in her first turn (nothing played yet), and she never had time to play a second one

-I like the idea of the game a lot...I was just surprised that in most co-op games the first matches normally end in a catastrophic loss. As soon as you understand more the game, you know what are the critical moves, and how to reach victory. In this case we managed to win one of the "hardest" bosses in one of the hardest locations in our first try. So we thought we were doing something wrong. I guess next time we will try full advanced mode, or only with 3 players

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Call
United States
Pocatello
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Or you could just try and play it again with the same people. I think you just got some lucky card draws. Advanced mode is fun, but don't try it with 3--you'll get creamed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Arenson
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like lucky card draws.

What did the environment deck do?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nushura wrote:
-We did flip her...then she played two cards which turned out to be citizens. United with the one that comes back from the trash...she was flipped for only half a round.

She can't be flipped for only half a round. Once she flips, she's invulnerable for at least a whole turn and will only flip back if she's got Citizens out at the start of her turn.

Also: where you having Ra and Wraith's damage shield cards take effect only once per turn? If not, that's an issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
London
Agitation
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jlerpy wrote:
She can't be flipped for only half a round. Once she flips, she's invulnerable for at least a whole turn and will only flip back if she's got Citizens out at the start of her turn.

Veering wildly off topic here but that's not strictly true either, Dawn can simultaneously have 5 citizens in the discard pile and 3 citizen out (remember to count her as 1 of the 3, see the keywords on her card), causing her to flip to the "merged with the power of the sun" side and then, because it's still the start of the villain turn phase, flip back immediately.

So I agree that it's not possible to flip for half a turn (good catch), but it's not always going to be for at least a whole turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Graham
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
I am Broccoli, most intelligent vegetable!
badge
I will destroy you all!
mbmbmbmbmb
Matchstickman wrote:
Jlerpy wrote:

Veering wildly off topic here but that's not strictly true either, Dawn can simultaneously have 5 citizens in the discard pile and 3 citizen out (remember to count her as 1 of the 3, see the keywords on her card), causing her to flip to the "merged with the power of the sun" side and then, because it's still the start of the villain turn phase, flip back immediately.

So I agree that it's not possible to flip for half a turn (good catch), but it's not always going to be for at least a whole turn.

Was gunna say the same, but he beat me to it :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, I'd always interpreted those as not triggering in the same turn, but I guess with the way that Villain cards work, they ought to. That seems like a really cheap evasion of her invulnerability though (since she can only become invulnerable once).

It does mean that Warlord Voss is slightly more deadly read that way, as we've been playing it that he'd need at least a whole turn to go from Super-Thorathian Warrior mode into Alien Warlord mode and win by way of having 10 dudes out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
London
Agitation
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jlerpy wrote:
It does mean that Warlord Voss is slightly more deadly read that way, as we've been playing it that he'd need at least a whole turn to go from Super-Thorathian Warrior mode into Alien Warlord mode and win by way of having 10 dudes out.

The only real way for that to happen is for there to be 8 or 9 minions out at the end of all the heroes' turns and the environment turn to play one, if it gets to that stage the villains must have been running rampant over Earth for a long time before that, better to just quietly slip off and find another planet at that point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.