BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: What to get Friday or Onirim? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mau g
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Guys,

I'm relatively new to board games (or card games) and just recently discovered Dominion (me and my wife really like it and are planning on getting the expansions). While browsing through BGG reading about Dominion, I saw these two games, Friday & Onirim and I really like the concept of both. I am also very attracted to the solitary play as well as I have only my wife to play games with.

So what do you think is the best to get first between the two? Many thanks in advance for the help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Lebowski
Germany
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
The Dude abides!
badge
yeah? well… y’know, that’s just like, uh… your opinion, man…
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess it's a matter of personal taste.

Me, I put away Onirim after my first 2 plays - disappointed by the limited decisions during gamplay. Friday on the other side is a big hit for me and still a challenge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Taylor
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Onirim is a decent game, but Friday is excellent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny O'Donnell
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
woodoo03 wrote:
I guess it's a matter of personal taste.

Me, I put away Onirim after my first 2 plays - disappointed by the limited decisions during gamplay. Friday on the other side is a big hit for me and still a challenge.

Were either of those with any of the expansions? I think Onirim's biggest problem is that it doesn't present itself properly; the 'base game' is really only there to learn the mechanics. The real meat of the game isn't found until you add in the expansions, particularly the Book of Steps Lost and Found.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.A.H. van de Laak
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't know Friday, but heard some very good things about it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Original Dibbler
Germany
Aachen
NRW
flag msg tools
designer
What's one damage?
badge
It's na-fing!
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer Friday because you getr a score at the end of the game and can compare your games. This keeps my motivaton up.

On the otherhand Onirim comes with some expansions and if you play until you beat every expansion at least once you will have played it 10-30 times which also is a good value fpr your money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Madhujith Venkatakrishna
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Friday for sure, me and my wife are addicted to it, planning on getting a 2nd copy as she wants to play it all the time...:-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Derbyshire
United Kingdom
Norton Mandeville
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Onirim does have the possibility of playing 2 player however.

I like both. Friday will have a familiar feel since you are playing Dominion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Friday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Friday, definitely. But Onirim is less than a tenner and easier to stick in your pocket. Both can be had for $30 dollars in North America!

Actually, if you want a solitaire game, I'm selling Dawn of the Zeds (First edition). I'll sell it to you for 20 plus shipping. I'll include two real dice and a dixie cup! It's a great game but I find myself playing solitaire games less and less and if I ever do have a few hours, it'll more likely be with Mage Knight Board Game

But I digress. Friday, to answer your question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt b

Lenexa
Kansas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own and have played both several times and prefer Onirim. When playing Onirim with all the expansions, there are lot of different choices during play between nightmares, keys, towers, spells, and happy dreams and they are rarely straight-forward. The choices in Friday come down to:
1. Pick one of two hazards to fight,
2. Play another fighting card or not.
There are a lot of depth to those choices, but it can get repetitive.

The end-game pirate fight of Friday often involves playing through your entire deck of 25 or so cards, constantly adding, subtracting, re-adding, doubling, and canceling values while trying to sum them up to a certain total. And, whenever I make it as far as the pirate fight, I've never lost so it doesn't add much tension either; its just a tedium to complete.

The goofy art of Friday doesn't bother me, but the Onirim art is great.

Friday has some clever mechanics, but my vote is for Onirim as the better game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Feather
Japan
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I own and play both. If I could only have one it would be Friday. No contest for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mau g
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot guys for the help, I guess I will be getting Friday first

Really appreciate the help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.