Popular Tags: [View All]
Pere
Spain
La Nucia
Alicante
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From http://www.riograndegames.com/games.html?id=421

Times have been hard. To save on money, you've moved out of your old castle, and into a luxurious ravine. You didn't like that castle anyway; it was always getting looted, and never at a reasonable hour. And if it wasn't barbarians it was the plague, or sometimes both would come at once, and there wouldn't be enough chairs. The ravine is great; you get lots of sun, and you can just drop garbage wherever you want. In your free time you've taken up begging. Begging is brilliant conceptually, but tricky in practice, since no-one has any money. You beg twigs from the villagers, and they beg them back, but no-one really seems to come out ahead. That's just how life is sometimes. You're quietly conquering people, minding your own business, when suddenly there's a plague, or barbarians, or everyone's illiterate, and it's all you can do to cling to some wreckage as the storm passes through. Still, you are sure that, as always, you will triumph over this adversity, or at least do slightly better than everyone else.

This is the 7th addition to the game of Dominion. It is 500 cards but is not a standalone. It adds 35 new Kingdom cards to Dominion, plus new bad cards you give to other players (Ruins), new cards to replace starting Estates (Shelters), and cards you can only get via specific other cards. The central themes are the trash and upgrading. There are cards that do something when trashed, cards that care about the trash, cards that upgrade themselves, and ways to upgrade other cards.

(Emphasis mine)

So... new and beefed-up curses? The Remodel set?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Stetson
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mb
Cool, can't wait for this one. I love the shelters thing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tables
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mmm... so, 35 Kingdom Cards, seem to remember that's about what I expected. That means 385 cards accounted for, plus two for each victory card. Then there are Shelters, which there's at least 12 of (probably >=18 of for 6 player), and Ruins, which could really be any number... but either way that leaves about 100 cards between Ruins, cards only gained cards from other cards, extra Shelters and anything else I've missed.

It looks cool, but I'm going to try and avoid getting too excited... we currently know nothing about what Shelters or Ruins do, and to be honest until I see some of the cards it doesn't look any more exciting than any other expansion, aside from there being more cards (not that not being more exciting is a bad thing)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no reservations about the excitement I feel for this expansion. There's every reason to be more excited than any other expansion because there's more in this than any other expansion. Can't wait for GenCon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Compulsive Completist
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
surprise

Need more info!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ancestral Hamster
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, need more info. However, since I was introduced to Dominion last year, I am enthusiastic about it, so I'm curious about what the new mechanics will do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Len
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Your so-called kung-fu... is really... quite pathetic"
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks like it might be a fun set. I'm looking forward to it....

bacon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pater Absurdus
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
There's really no wrong way to use a margarita pool
badge
"What is best in Life? To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds superb. I can hardly wait!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pere
Spain
La Nucia
Alicante
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
new bad cards you give to other players (Ruins)

With the theme of trash/upgrading, maybe the ruins are some 'untrashable' curses (cannot be trashed, or when trashed, gain a curse/ruins)

Quote:
new cards to replace starting Estates (Shelters)

Nothing comes to mind... when you trash this gain a state?

Quote:
cards you can only get via specific other cards

Already done with black market and tourney/prizes. Fan cards have done this with: when you gain card A, gain card B (card B isn't in the supply) with A and B being usually a village and a smithy variants

Quote:
There are cards that do something when trashed

Done with Mining village and Feast. One-shots, most likely.

Quote:
cards that care about the trash

Citychapel: trash cards from your hand, if there are at least X cards in the trash, do something, if there are at least Y, do something cooler.
These must be trashers or one-shots, or risk being in a game without trashing.

Quote:
cards that upgrade themselves

Humm... Feast-variants?

Quote:
ways to upgrade other cards.

Remodelworld!

to be fleshed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Brendel
United States
Dunwoody
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
"Cards that do something when trashed" don't necessarily have to be one-shots. They could be Reactions that trigger when they get trashed by some other effect. Probably with another feature that might be worthwhile even in a game without trashing (the way Secret Chamber's action might be in a game without Attacks, or Tunnel's VP are in games without discarding).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris White
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wacky speculation idea that's sure to be wrong:

Ruins are a -1 VP card with a cost of $-1.

If you want to Upgrade or Remodel it, you'll need to take a Copper. But hey, if you have extra buys you spend one of 'em on Ruins to increase your total buy power by one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ŁṲÎS̈
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
F*** it! Do it LIVE!
badge
Didn't know what to spend all this sweet GG on, so I bought the overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
gf1024 wrote:
I see lots of things in the description the online community's been trying to create in fan cards since the release of the base game. I wonder how Donald managed to make those ideas work. Particularly (is that how it's spelled?) interested about cards that care about the trash pile.

My first reaction too. I bet he'll tell us we've had zero influence on it though since all the expansions were made years ago
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Watne
United States
Burlington
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Good times.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
cards that care about the trash

We tried our hand at a user-created card called "Alms" a while back. Our first draft was a 0-coin Treasure card worth +1 coin for each Treasure card in the Trash pile. Waaaay too strong. We then tweaked it so that Alms couldn't be used to purchase Victory cards. Better, but not quite right.

We realized that we wanted to accomplish 2 things with the card. First, we obviously wanted to involve the Trash pile because, well, we hadn't seen that in Dominion yet. Second, and most importantly, we wanted to provide a consequence to deck thinning strategies, or at very least, a reason to think twice before trashing all of your junk. After many different drafts, the working prototype for "Alms" reads:

"Treasure, 0 Coins [Cost 4]: Shuffle the Trash pile and place it face down. Reveal the top 2 cards of the Trash pile. +1 coin for each Treasure card revealed, +3 coins for each Victory card revealed. If Alms is the only Treasure card in play, you may gain any Treasure cards revealed in this way."

Not perfect yet, but it makes for some interesting games. I look forward to see what these sorts of ideas can do with the full force of Dominion playtesting behind them. This should be a great expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Wright City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
There might be something like Trade Route for the Trash pile - worth $1 for each different victory card in the trash or $1 for each different treasure card in the trash or something like that. And there will probably be a victory card dealing with the trash. The two ideas I can think of are a Gardens variant - worth X VP for each Y cards in the trash - and a Fairgrounds variant - worth X VP for each Y differently named cards in the trash.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Volk
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The thing about a card that "cares about the trash" is that the ability that depends on the trash can't be the only part of the card, or else it will be useless in games without trashing (same as cards with "when trashed" abilities). Preferably, a card that cares about the trash would also have a trash ability itself, so that the part that depends on the trash pile will always do something. Another thing about it is that it probably can't depend too much on the size of the trash pile, because again, that can vary drastically depending on the kingdom. (I like the Citychapel idea, though.) In fact, there are a lot of delicate potential problems that need to be kept in mind when designing a card that fiddles with the trash pile. I'm interested to see how the developers dealt with those problems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jann Beckers
Belgium
Antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WOW, awesome!

I only got introduced to Dominion beginning of this year, and immediately bought Intrigue and Prosperity. I was planning on buying Seaside but maybe I will wait for Dark Ages!

Or buy both (but my storage solution won't work anymore then)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jann Beckers
Belgium
Antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The text itself is absolute nonsense though :-)

"You can drop your garbage anywhere"?!? Wonder what that means!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Brendel
United States
Dunwoody
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably not anything gameplay-specific. Hinterlands didn't actually give us a Mamihlapinatapai card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Eve
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I wonder whether the Trash pile will be ordered or not. I know that at the moment it is an unordered stack of cards, but that may only be because so far there have been no cards for which the content of the Trash was important. The possible things that might be done with the Trash depend in part upon whether it matters what order the cards are put in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Spencer
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
traininthedistance wrote:
Wacky speculation idea that's sure to be wrong:

Ruins are a -1 VP card with a cost of $-1.

It is highly unlikely that a card with a cost less than $0 will ever be released, because under the wording on cards like Bridge, its cost would actually go up when Bridge was played. It's not impossible, but Bridge suggests to me that costs under $0 are just not expected ever.

EDIT: but the effect would be fairly easy to simulate using card text instead of a negative cost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominion: Dark Ages
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
senseless wrote:
You beg twigs from the villagers, and they beg them back, but no-one really seems to come out ahead.

Twigs? Lettuce would make much more sense, here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Riddle
United States
Leesburg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
See my 'prophetic' fan expansion called Dominion: Plague, at http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/726385/plague-fan-expansion-...
I've updated the first post to reflect the current state of the cards, but if you look through the posts for Old Versions, you will see that originally my set had more cards that cared about the trash. People didn't like that so I changed many of them but I kept this one in...
Scavenger – Action – 0$
“Choose one: gain a card costing up to 2$; or gain a card costing up to 5$ from the trash pile.”

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JEREMY JINKERSON
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Been waiting to see more upgrade/trashing mechanics. Also interested to see how the new Curse-like cards will work.

The "cares about the Trash" element is unexpected, and I'm equally pleased to see that DXV continues to pursue new directions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved to Dominion: Dark Ages forums
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.