Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I picked up war galley I found it puzzling that Salamis, perhaps thee defining battle of early galley warfare was not included. Picking up the module seemed mandatory for me, but it left an initial bitter taste in my mouth that I had to do so.

Then I played it, and I take it all back. In war Galley terms, the battle of Salamis just isn't very interesting. And it's entirely possible that's why it was left out.

Some of you are now probably thinking: Aha! so the Salamis module must be bad then... But you'd be wrong. The module comes with three versions of Salamis and two days of fighting at Artimisium (basically a prelude to Salamis).

I played the first day of Artimisium, intending to play the second day with the remains of the first day. In the end, there weren't enough survivors on the Greek side to make the second Artimisium day interesting. But the first day was a blast!

Artimisium is *huge* and does have the downside that it requires ships to stay in the same squadron throughout the game. This is good in some ways, but adds another level of bookkeeping since the counters are not marked in any way for this. And War Galley is already somewhat heavily burdened from a bookkeeping point of view.

That covers the battles themselves. As far as the components go you get some leader and a few informational counters, some more trireme counters both cataphracted and not, the scenario booklet, and a new map sheet which you can see half of in this image of the set piece version of the Salamis (the battle) scenario:

In a nutshell, let's give letter grades:
I'd give the Salamis battle a C at most, but I'd give Artimisium an A- (the minus is due to book keeping hassles). Giving the module a B or so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is also a line of historical thought that the battle line was not across the channel, but along the channel, such that the Persians had their backs to the Mainland, and the Greeks facing out from Salamis.

Something like this

Barry Strauss wrote a book here, and whilst I think it fair to say nobody really knew then or now what fully happened, Strauss makes a interesting case.
http://books.simonandschuster.com/Battle-of-Salamis/Barry-St...

Trouble is that War Galley is too micro scale for the map really.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.