Sentinels of the Multiverse» Forums » Variants

Subject: The Mimic, now with cards! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Burton
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Falling out of a sewer pipe into the harbor is a terrible way to start the night. Its an even worse way to be born. On that scorching summer night, with the bay on fire with pale green flame around it as the toxic chemicals it was coated in interacted with the water, a new creature came into existence. It knew nothing of where it came from, who it was, or even what it was. The only clue were some melted plastic fragments it found sticking out of it’s rubbery glowing flesh with the words “XJ499…-mim….oxic…” stenciled on it. Calling itself the Mimic, it began exploring the surroundings. It soon found that it could change it’s shape, color, and consistency to replicate the things that it encountered. It also found that it knew what things were called, and even what they were, thought the fine points of how it knew this was not clear.

For a time it drifted. Until a boat came by. It knew what people were, of course. That was one of the basic facts it somehow had been born with, along with an understanding that the sound they were making was “laughter” and the things they were drinking were “beers”. But it didn’t understand WHY they were laughing, drinking, or out on a boat. Looking at them, feeling the gaps in its understanding, it decided to follow.

When they reached shore, the boaters were met by new people that came out of a car. The new people laughed, but in a different way that made the Mimic very uncomfortable as it watched from the water. The new people reached into pockets and pulled out guns, demanding jewelry and money from the boaters. They complied, producing handfuls of shiny objects and paper that the gunmen stuffed into briefcases.

And then one of the men fired at a security guard.

The Mimic realized that it’s body was shifting around, growing spines, plates, and hardening. A new concept was examined and accepted - violence. It burst out of the water and moved towards the gunmen, sometimes on two legs, sometimes, four, sometimes no legs at all. It felt the impacts of bullets and threw bits of itself at the guns to silence them. It had no plan, no real technique- it just overwhelmed them until they ran away.

It came over to the security guard who had been shot. He seemed frightened, so it made soothing noises (which didn’t seem to help as much) and examined the bullet wound, which looked deep, painful, and possibly deadly. As it touched the blood, it understood everything about the man. In a blink, it changed into a perfect copy, including bullet wound. It became aware of pain, and sought to heal it. A part of itself flowed into the wound, assuming the forms of tissue, muscle, blood, and skin. The guard was made whole and the Mimic with him. Though it was not human, it wanted to keep them safe. Though it would never be fully a part of their world, or even fully understand them, it would protect them. It would move through the world unseen until it was needed. There would be allies, enemies, fights that tested It’s very limits, and a barrage of new things.

And the Mimic decided (for the first time in it’s life) that this was exactly how things should be.

Well, I've finished the playtesting and she's pretty much done.
I've made cards for her, which can be gotten here: http://www.mediafire.com/?11ew9j4cp3p8b

Here is her character card:

Happy playing!

On a side note, getting the Muscle to hit everyone in the Organization, (using shapeshifter sabotage) and then having the Chairman kill him for doing it was easily the high point of the game for me. It pretty much made up for the previous game where the chairman pretty much schooled everyone on why Rook City was under his control. I know you could do the same thing with wrest the mind...but the thought of the mimic pretending to be the Chairman and telling the Muscle to do it just made my night.

Against Citizen Dawn: Using Dawn's citizens against her was highly entertaining. You could get Spring to heal the party, Tears to strip away Dawn's ongoings...

I am easily amused.

The Mimic
HP 25

Core power: Toxic Transformation: Deal yourself 1 toxic damage and gain the core power of a hero in play until the start of your next turn. You may use that power.

Defeated Powers:
A hero may play a card
Destroy a target with 1 HP.
Select a Hero. The next time that hero takes damage, 1 damage is prevented.

Nemesis: Unknown

One shots: (12 total)
3x Reactive Chemical Discharge: Destroy an environment, then deal a target 3 toxic damage.

3x Chemical burn: Deal yourself 2 fire damage. Deal all non-hero targets 3 toxic damage.

3x Bio Leeching (formerly Mesomorphic Anesthetic): Deal 2 damage to a target, heal a hero target for 1 HP.
Changed this slightly, since the Mimic needed more damage output cards.

3x Unexpected spines: Deal a target 1 projectile and 1 toxic damage. You may play a card.

Equipment (2 total)
2x Fluctuation Stabilizer Belt (equipment , limited): The mimic is immune to Toxic Damage. When a Transformation would be destroyed, place it in your hand instead

Ongoing (26 total)
3x Shapeshifter Sabotage: (Ongoing, limited):
Power: Pick one non-hero, non villain character targets. You may use any or all of their abilities on targets of your choice. Deal 1 toxic damage to yourself.
(Yes this means you can order the Muscle to bring out an enforcer. On your turn. Or Citizen Tears to destroy one of Dawn's ongoings.)

2x Knowledge Assimilation (Ongoing)
When an ongoing card is destroyed, draw a card.
(Note that when you have the belt, transformations are not "destroyed", they go back to your hand, so this doesn't kick in)

3x Combat Form: (ongoing, limited, Transformation)
Increase damage dealt by the Mimic by 1.
Power: Deal 2 toxic damage to 1 target.
When this card enters play, destroy all other transformations in play.

3x Symbiotic Armor: (ongoing, limited, transformation)
Reduce damage to the mimic by 1
Power: Prevent up to 3 damage to a hero for 1 turn. That hero regains one HP on their turn.
I've found this to be an immensely fun power to use

3x Horrifying Form (ongoing, limited, transformation)
Enemies that attack the Mimic take 2 psychic damage. This damage happens BEFORE they attack.

3x Environmental adaptation: (ongoing, limited, transformation):
If an environment hits you for less than 5 damage, you may redirect the damage to a target of your choice. If it would do 5 or more damage, reduce the damage by 3.
I found that I never played this because it was strictly passive. This brings it more in line with the other transformations. Things like the Kraken and T-rex are reduced, things like the Trisolvent vat can be redirected.

3x Chemical Overload (ongoing, limited):
Increase the Mimic's Toxic damage by 2
The Mimic needed a way to up her damage. this brings her two "attack" powers to parity with the Wraith. I say reliable, since her base power is highly dependant on who else is playing.

3x Hallucinogenic Secretions (ongoing):
Power: deal 1 toxic damage to a target. Damage from that target is reduced by 1 until the start of your next turn.
Draw a card.

3x Chimera Transformation (ongoing, limited): You may have up to 3 transformations in play at a time. Use an extra power.
At the start of your turn, deal yourself 2 irreducible psychic damage or destroy this card.

Art/Text

Character Art:
A frontal shot of the Mimic as it is walking under a spotlight, half in the light, half in the dark. The half that is in the light looks like a woman in a trenchcoat with curly black hair. The half that is in darkness glows green, and is shaped like a featureless female humanoid. The glowing half has spikes running down the arm. Both eyes are burning red. The only visible clothing on the mimic half is a belt made of red circles (much like the circles on Tachyon’s uniform). The belt is also visible under the coat on the human half.

Defeated Side:
The mimic is in the ruins of a building, green spatters all around. The Mimic’s upper half is losing cohesion, with large holes in the torso and face. One of the eyes is gone. One of the arms is turning into liquid and falling off, and the other is still solid and trying to support it. The lower half has melted into a puddle of green goo. You can see the belt (red circles dark) floating in the goo.

Reactive Chemical Discharge
Art: The Mimic’s arms have turned white and foamy, and are hosing down a chemical vat that is on fire.
Text:Chemical fires can be tricky to put out. It helps to be able to transmute yourself into the perfect suppressant.

Chemical burn
Art: Overhead view of Tachyon standing behind the mimic. The Mimic is on fire and projecting a large cone of flames in front of it. Plague Rat is the target of the flames.
Text:Tachyon met the Mimic under less than ideal circumstances.

Bio Leeching
Art: The Mimic, standing behind a Blade Battalion soldier. The mimic is touching him, and black veins are spreading from where she is touching. The minion is glassy eyed and about to faint.
Text: "Refreshing! Well, for me. You should probably take a nap now."

Unexpected Spines:
Art: A Blade Battalion soldier recoiling in horror as Baron Blade suddenly sprouts green spines all over “his” body.
Text: Battalion commander: I was not expecting this!

Fluctuation Stabilizer Belt
Art: A white belt with red circles around the Mimic’s waist. An access panel in the front is open, and it is full of lights and wires.
Text: Were it not for Dr. Stinson’s scientific skills, the toxic buildup caused by the Mimic’s transformations would have killed it.

Shapeshifter Sabotage
Art: Blade Battalion firing on Baron Blade, who is protected by a translucent red shield. The mimic is in mid transformation behind the battalion (half still in lab coat and looking like Blade), slinking away.
Text: Baron: “What is the meaning of this?!”
Blade Battalion: “You told us to test out your new shield. And that you were a robot.”

Combat Form
Art: The mimic, with arms ending in razor sharp claws and an oversized mouth full of fangs. It is skinnier and more angular than usual. One of the arms is in the midst of throwing green spines at a target.
Text:Wait, where are you all going?

Symbiotic Armor
Art: Tachyon, as her normal outfit is being covered by a glowing green armor.
Text: Absolute Zero: I’ll never get used to seeing that.
Tachyon: It’s surprisingly comfortable. And remarkably supportive.

Horrifying Form
Art: A close up of a frightened eye, in which we can see reflected an asymmetrical glowing green monster with multiple claws, mouths, and eyes. The less detail you see the better.
Text: Tachyon: So then what happened?
Mimic: He started leaking and ran away.

Environmental adaptation
Art: The Mimic in a tree petting a T-rex on the nose. You can see wisps of multicolor fog coming off the Mimic and entrancing the T-rex.
Text: I think I’ll call you Bitey. Who’s a good Bitey?!

Chemical overload
Art: A thug minion is clutching at his arm, which is covered in green goop and smoking.
Text: Bored now.

Hallucinogenic Toxins
Art: A Citizen with green spines sticking out of him. He is reeling and holding his head.
Text: Citizen: Blarbel? Flargly umber barn potato?
Mimic: …Yes?

3x Chimera Transformation
The Mimic, on top of Bitey the T-Rex in combat form. One arm has a giant claw, the other is a tentacled mass of spines. Citizens are running away.
Text: Legacy: Anyone have a camera?
Wraith: I do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Granger
msg tools
Re: Custom Hero: The Mimic
Query
Does this mean that if i have the Fluctuation Stabilizer Belt & combat form, the mimic could heal for 3 hp per turn?

even better:
Using the Core power - Toxic Transformation, Fluctuation Stabilizer Belt, Liquid Body, Combat Form and Reactive Chemical Discharge

This would allow you to destroy an environment card, gaining 4 HP, triggering liquid body healing you for another 3 HP, then for your power mimic another characters ability while regaining 2 HP. All in one turn.

full power:
Using the Core power - Toxic Transformation, Fluctuation Stabilizer Belt, Liquid Body, Combat Form, Chimera Transformation, Reactive Chemical Discharge

As above but you would be able to heal an additional 3 HP using combat form. (and be able to put out two more transformations, )

Suggestions:
Shapeshifter Sabotage should be Shapeshifter Form and be a transformation.
Liquid body should be a transformation
Chimera Transformation should be a form (allowing 2 other forms and gaining an additional power)
Reduce the number of each transformation card and include a mutagen or similar card to look for transformations - perhaps just replace Knowledge Assimilation with the mutagen

combat body's power shouldn't be able to target Mimic

what does the following mean in the Fluctuation Stabilizer Belt?
At the start of your turn, you may change the Mimic’s damage type until the start of your next turn.

I will say that i think while The Mimic's damage output might not be that strong (though shapeshifter and the right enemy can change that). I do like the idea that the shifting, changing character heals well and can get to very strong levels of personal healing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Burton
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Hmm. Good points, GG.

I hadn't thought about the feedback levels of healing that you could get with the belt in combination with the multiple forms. Absolute Zero has that sort of mechanic, but he's entirely built around that, and having a character that has that ability AND a bunch of other stuff seems excessive.

I think turning the belt into "the Mimic becomes Immune to Toxic damage"
stays in keeping with the general idea and removes that problem entirely.

I don't see the Mimic's damage output as being a problem. she doesn't have any real burst damage, but she's got some decent base damage attacks and and can use multiple powers...

that, and I can see situations where just being able to mimic a hero in play could be amazingly useful. Especially in synthesis with Ra or Legacy.

Transformations:
I wanted transformations to be separate from some of the ongoings. Liquid body is the same as Combat stance or fire shield, its a basic mechanic that several characters have and I didn't see the need to make it a transformation. the transformations are pretty powerful on their own.

hmm.

An interesting option would be to change Chimera Transformation to:
discard to play up to 3 "transformation" cards and use an additional power. Either that, or give it some kind of negative mechanic like "pushing the limits" so that you could keep all three in play, but it would cost. something like "do yourself 2 psychic damage at the start of your turn or discard chimera transformation"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen Ciscell
United States
Auburn
WA
flag msg tools
designer
Check out my game, Atlantis Rising! :)
mb
Another great hero! I wouldn't change anything until you playtest him. In my opinion, the most recent heroes (Expatriette and Mr. Fixer) have been underpowered compared to the core heroes. And with the community being split on Absolute Zero, I would not use him as a basis of comparison for Mimic's power levels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Granger
msg tools
The biggest difference between AZ and Mimic healing is that AZ will do a pile of damage to himself as well.

I actually think a hero that keeps getting up, only personal healing is a great concept - just depends if that's the idea here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Burton
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
After some playtesting, I've decided to make some changes.

Fighting Voss, dawn, and the Organization: The mimic was really fun to play. I got to turn minions against each other and had a good time bouncing between active powers of the other heroes. being able to mimic Bunker one turn and Legacy the next was a great combo, and helped to counter some of the environment hazards. The Mimic was great in the Rook City enviros, as she could help to counter some of the nasty stuff (especially the vats). Basically, if there are Minions involved, it gets totally fun. I'm not sure about hte Matriarch, though. I need to check the wording on her, since it seems like having the birds target each other, then having the matriarch damage the birds (for killing each other) could be hilarious...if gamebreaking.

fighting Plague Rat was tricky. The fact that he does so much Toxic damage made the whole hting tricky, since being able to Heal toxic made me pretty much invincible. Everyone just got infected and kept biting the Mimic, which basically ensured that no one would ever die. Granted, since the Mimic mostly DOES toxic damage, I really couldn't do anything to Plague rat.

So, sadly, the toxic healing is going to have to go.

Some basic changes to the Symbiotic armor:

3x Symbiotic Armor: (ongoing, limited, transformation)
Reduce damage to the mimic by 1
Power: Prevent the next 3 damage to a hero (other than the Mimic). That hero regains one HP on their turn.
You may have only one Transformation in play at a time.

I'm waffling about the Flux stabilizer belt.

It seems like I could go with either having it straight up granting an immunity to Toxic damage (thus keeping the Mimic from hurting herself), or I could have it as a passive that each attack is now of a damage type of her choice (Much like Mr. fixer's style). another option would have the belt serve as a way for her to find/swap out transformation cards for free (kind of like speed loading). With the 1 transformation limit, it shouldn't be too nasty, and if chimera is out, it makes it possible to get the other transformations out all the quicker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen Ciscell
United States
Auburn
WA
flag msg tools
designer
mb
How did the other players like you "stealing" their cool powers? Have you considered having Mimic copy the core powers of any hero NOT in play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Burton
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
So far, the power copying idea has been thought of as pretty neat with my bunch, especially since (since she doesn't have any of their other cards/equip/abilities) the Mimic can't ever do the job of another hero better than the original. But being able to Galvanize along with Legacy one turn to help overcome th edamage resists of 2 Genebound guards or Citizen truth+anvil, pretty much cemented the ability as highly useful. Being able to skip around active hero powers was pretty cool, though it sort of depends on the hero. I didn't ever want to use AZ's power, for instance!
I'm sure that there is potential for massive, massive abuse... but I'm pretty OK with that.

As for the active/inactive debate, I liked the idea of only using active heroes for thematic and simplicity reasons. Though as always, more playtesting is needed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Riddle
United States
Leesburg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
now i haven't player Sentinels yet, though i've ordered the whole shebang on kickstarter.
but wouldn't it be more thematic and interesting if Mimic could somehow copy the ENEMY's abilities?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Burton
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
I thought about the copying enemy skills/abilities option. I ended up rejecting it due to problems balancing it with the various villain abilities. I had some vague ideas, but given how different each villain was, I just couldn't find a way to make it work. Especially with the heavy minion based villains. Or oddballs like Spite. And I tried to keep future compatibility in mind, since there are plenty of new baddies that are coming that I can't plan for.

So basically, thought about it, couldn't make it work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Logan Mann
United States
Spanish Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As you make adjustments to the cards that you feel really sure about...could you update the master list in your original post? Its hard to keep up with all the tweaks otherwise.

(This would be for all your heroes if possible.)

These are great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Burton
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Sure! I'll have a pretty big update tomorrow, since have some post-play testing edits. I'll also post my first villain!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Logan Mann
United States
Spanish Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: The Mimic, now with 100% more editing!
Concerning Mimic's core power...what is the reasoning for having the power be until the start of your next turn? It becomes a lot of text for an innate power and if there is a reason, thats fine, but if not I wonder if there is a way to do what you want it to do with less text. I'm not really sure how that would be though.

On Bio Leeching, what kind of damage are you dealing?

On Hallucinogenic Secretions, is the Draw a card meant to be an affect of playing the power, or a one time affect when the card comes into play?

On Chimera Transformation...is playing a power a one time thing when this comes into play or is it an extra power every turn? Also, while the basic purpose of what the card does is simple, its not the easiest thing to describe on a card. Would the text...

"Transformation cards Do not destroy other transformations when they come into play. Limit of 3 transformations in play at a time.
During your power phase, you may play an additional power.
At the start of your turn, either this card deals the mimic 2 irreducible psychic damage or destroy this card."

That barely fits as i try to put it on Koga's templates. I feel like it needs to be worded to negate the text on the transformation cards themselves. Does that text sound like it accomplishes what it is intended to do?

ALSO...
is there a picture idea and text for knowledge assimilation?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Burton
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
core power: I don't suppose there is any real need to list the time limitation.

Bio leeching deals toxic damage

Hallucinogenic secretions: Draw a card after you use the power (like the infrared eyepiece)

chimera transformation:
You can use an extra power each turn while the card is out.
I see what you mean about the wording.

"While this card is in play:
you may have 3 transformations in play at a time and you may use an additional power.
At the start of your turn, either this card deals the mimic 2 irreducible psychic damage or destroy this card, along with all transformations in play."

does that fit the template?
If not, the way you worded it is fine.
Its kind of annoying. I know exactly what it does, so its kind of hard to pick the right words. Stupid internal bias.

Knowledge assimilation:
Yes, there is a picture/text idea. I just never posted it when I did the edits.
Art: The mimic standing next to legacy as he poses for his "inspiring presence" card. She is in her natural form, mimicking his posture. she has her own flag, which is organic looking, glows green and is obviously something she has grown.
Text: "I see what you did there!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everything between now and the next game is just killing time
England
London
Agitation
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Braithwhite wrote:
core power: I don't suppose there is any real need to list the time limitation.

I'm not sure of the intent of the power but I think I can see a reason.

Turn 1; I copy Hero 1's power
Turn 2; I copy Hero 2's power
Turn 3; I copy Hero 3's power

I now have all the powers, with no limit on when they expire! Mwahahahaha!

or alternatively

Turn 1; I copy Hero 1's power
Turn 2; I use the power I copied on turn 1 and take no toxic damage
Turn 3; I use the power I copied on turn 1 and take no toxic damage
Turn 4; I use the power I copied on turn 1 and take no toxic damage
Turn 5; I use the power I copied on turn 1 and take no toxic damage
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen Ciscell
United States
Auburn
WA
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Might it be simpler just to say "Power: Deal yourself 1 toxic damage and use another hero's power." Or something like that...?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Burton
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
I think "Deal yourself 1 toxic damage and use another hero's core power" is probably the best wording. I want to keep teh focus on core power, since using any power currently available to any hero seems a bit much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Burton
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Of course, then you do run into the problem that "another hero" means "any hero", not just the ones that are currently in play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everything between now and the next game is just killing time
England
London
Agitation
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Deal yourself 1 Toxic damage.
Target a hero in play.
Use the innate power of that hero.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen Ciscell
United States
Auburn
WA
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Braithwhite wrote:
I think "Deal yourself 1 toxic damage and use another hero's core power" is probably the best wording. I want to keep teh focus on core power, since using any power currently available to any hero seems a bit much.

Of course I meant core power, just forgot to type what my brain was thinking

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Logan Mann
United States
Spanish Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the response...i'm updating my cards and it fits and looks better now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Burton
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Cards are finished. Preview and link in main post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl White
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wonderful job Chris, I'll be testing these first opportunity I get. Have you considered putting the deck on Artscow?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
/|\ Roland /|\
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sorry, but I just thought you should know that The Mimic's backstory is just badass.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xxxxx Xxxxx
msg tools
I saw this custom hero you made and was inspired to print it out and play with it.
I really enjoyed it, but felt it needed some updated wording and a slight change in deck composition. As such, I thought I’d provide you some feedback about what changes I made to it after playing it.

The cards in the deck are mostly the same in number and type, however I removed the Fluctuation Stabilizer Belt entirely, and wrapped the immunity to toxic into the Chemical Overload card.

The two missing belt cards were replaced by one Knowledge Assimilation (for 3 copies total in the deck) and 1 extra Chimera Transformation (I have 4 of those in the deck, since it’s such an important aspect of the character).

I also removed one copy of Environmental Adaptation and one copy of Shapeshifter Sabotage to make room for two copies of Mirror Move (new card). Env Adapt was a card I found myself not liking to put down much, even though it worked fine. Its powerful in addition to Chimera Form, so reducing it’s number in the deck seemed good all around.

I removed one Chemical Burn and one Bio Leeching to put in 2 Caustic Strike cards. I had a cool picture I wanted to use, and Caustic Strike adds a touch more variety while maintaining the same card type (one shot damage dealing).

Changed Cards:

All transformation cards lost the “Limited” keyword. This change allows multiple copies to be played with Chimeric Transformation. I did an in game compare with Omnitron X, with both characters putting basically everything on the table, and they remained balanced, so I think this change can work without overpowering The Mimic.

Bio Leeching
DEAL 2 TOXIC DAMAGE TO 1 TARGET.
RESTORE 2 HP TO 1 HERO TARGET.
(Increased healing by 1)

Shapeshifter Sabotage
PLAY THIS CARD NEXT TO A NON-CHARACTER CARD. EXCHANGE ANY INSTANCES OF THE WORDS “HERO” AND “VILLAIN” ON THE CARD.
IF THE CHOSEN CARD LEAVES PLAY, DESTROY THIS CARD.
(While your initial text was mostly clear about what this card did, I wanted to revise it into very clear ‘game language’. This has pretty much most of the effect I think you were going for, which was to ‘reverse’ a villain card’s targeting and effect. It makes damage cards hurt villain targets and healing cards heal hero targets, etc.)

Combat Form
WHEN THIS CARD ENTERS PLAY, DESTROY ANY OF YOUR OTHER TRANSFORMATION CARDS IN PLAY.
INCREASE TOXIC DAMAGE DEALT BY THE MIMIC BY 1.
POWER: DEAL 2 TOXIC DAMAGE TO 1 TARGET.
(Changed the damage boost to apply only to Toxic damage. Minor Thematic and balance change).

Symbiotic Armor
WHEN THIS CARD ENTERS PLAY, DESTROY ANY OF YOUR OTHER TRANSFORMATION CARDS IN PLAY.
REDUCE DAMAGE DEALT TO THE MIMIC BY 1.
POWER: SELECT A HERO TARGET; UNTIL THE START OF YOUR NEXT TURN DAMAGE DEALT TO THAT TARGET IS REDUCED BY 1. THAT TARGET REGAINS 2 HP.
(Armor can help The Mimic, or another Hero. Converted the ‘3 point damage buffer’ and the 1 point of healing into a full 1 point of damage reduction the whole round, and 2 points of healing. I might reduce the healing back down to 1 after more testing.)

Horrifying Form
WHENEVER THE MIMIC IS DEALT DAMAGE BY A VILLAIN OR ENVIRONMENT TARGET, THE MIMIC DEALS THAT TARGET 2 PSYCHIC DAMAGE.
POWER: DEAL 1 PSYCHIC DAMAGE TO UP TO 3 TARGETS.
(Changed the retribution to occur after the hero is attacked, like other retribution. Gave the form a power that is very different from the Mimic’s other damage – Psychic, so it doesn’t benefit from the mimics toxic damage boosts, but multiple targets, since that’s occasionally needed. Basically tried to re-balance and add variety).

Chemical Overload
INCREASE ALL TOXIC DAMAGE DONE BY MIMIC BY 1.
THE MIMIC IS IMMUNE TO TOXIC DAMAGE.
(Given that this card both increases her damage, and makes her immune to Toxic damage – making her base power safe for her to use – I left the damage boost at 1 point, instead of 2. Bear in mind that the new Chimeric Transformation and the loss of Limited on transformations means the ability to have multiple Combat Forms in play to boost her damage further.)

Chimera Transformation (name change: Chimeric Transformation)
YOUR TRANSFORMATION CARDS MAY NOT BE DESTROYED.
YOU MAY USE AN ADDITIONAL POWER DURING YOUR POWER PHASE.
AT THE START OF YOUR TURN, EITHER DISCARD 1 CARD FOR EACH TRANSFORMATION CARD YOU HAVE IN PLAY OR DESTROY THIS CARD.
(Costs nothing to put down and keep in play unless you have transformations in play as well. Costs a card per transformation, so the more you play, the more it costs to keep around, and you are expending the very thing – cards – that might allow you to put more transformations down, so it’s pretty self-limiting. However, when it goes away, none of the transformation cards you played are removed, so it’s a way to put and keep several in play at once, even after the card leaves.)

NEW CARDS:
MIRROR MOVE (Ongoing) [2 copies in deck]
WHEN THIS CARD COMES INTO PLAY SELECT ANOTHER HERO’S ONGOING CARD. THIS CARD GAINS ALL THE TEXT OF THE SELECTED CARD, AND YOU MAY USE ANY OF ITS POWERS AS NORMAL. CHANGE ANY INSTANCES OF A CHARACTER NAME ON THE CARD TO “THE MIMIC”.
IF THE SELECTED CARD LEAVES PLAY, DESTROY THIS CARD.
(I didn’t feel like The Mimic had enough ‘mimicking’ going on, so I added a card type that did more of it. Needs more playtesting than I’ve done so far, but I think it will be both fun and reasonable balanced).

CAUSTIC STRIKE (ONE-SHOT) [2 copies in deck]
DEAL 1 TARGET 2 FIRE AND 1 TOXIC DAMAGE.
YOU MAY DRAW A CARD.
(Just more variety in damage types – fire – to help in certain circumstances).

---

I’ve had fun playing this character and much thanks for creating it!
Any and all of the above are just what I’ve done, and are provided for helpful feedback. Take, use, abuse or discard any or all as you see fit!

In printing it out, I created a full word doc with cards and pictures (using Sarah Kerrigan / Queen of blades pics from the internet). If you are interested in it let me know.

YO!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.