Descent: Journeys in the Dark» Forums » General

Subject: Selling my collection - what's a fair price? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Braga
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have the whole lot except for the quest book. Everything opened and punched, but I only played with the core set a couple of times, so I'd say it's all "Like New". With the near arrival of 2nd edition, I've reluctantly decided to sell it all if the price is right. Which brings me to my question: what is the right price?

Glancing at the price histories, Amazon and eBay I get the feeling RtL and the big box are worth about $150, AoD $100 and WoD, ToI and SoB $50. Are these figures over the top or have prices really exploded this much now that Descent is OOP?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Evans
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Board Game Replay
badge
Check out our series at youtube.com/boardgamereplay
mbmbmbmbmb
Those prices are pretty accurate actually. Probably around $400 if you're selling it all together (add $100 if you're selling it complete set of promo characters). If you've been following the 2nd edition threads and previews you can see the hype for the 2nd edition is rising. There has already been a few mentions of people wishing they had picked up the 1st edition for the extra monsters and characters to use with 2nd edition.

The only thing that may be slightly less valuable is the RtL expansion. Judging from the 2nd edition previews the campaign system present in the 2nd edition is going to be far more streamlined. Since RtL (or SoB) doesn't come with any figures, people may just end up skipping it in favor of base game and 3 regular expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Gowans
United States
OMAHA
NE
flag msg tools
LONG LIVE SAMMY!
badge
Have you read the Psion series?
mbmbmbmbmb
As someone who's been watching ebay for this kind of stuff for several months now, here's my advice:

First, try to sell the entire thing as a massive set. I would start your buy it now price at 750, with a reserve of 500. I would take extensive pictures. YOU CAN NEVER HAVE TOO MANY PICTURES. Pictures showing the quality of your item will drive up the purchase price.

Second, if your massive set doesn't sell, I'd sell it off in parts:

1. Big box. Expect somewhere around 75-150.

2. WoD. Expect around 80-120.

3. AoD. Expect around 80-120.

4. RtL. Expect between 75-150.

I don't think your ToI or SoB will sell solo. They can be bought brand new for 30-40 bucks. If you're determined to sell them, try for 25 apiece.

Personally, however, I wouldn't sell them b/c I intend on using my 1ed monsters as 2ed monsters w/ the conversion kit. Plus, I'm also aware that I may not like 2ed as much as 1ed.

I hope this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Tuijp
Netherlands
Volendam
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

And ehm... if you DO sell them apart, I would be very interested in AoD, since thats the only one I don't have...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Braga
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
mattamd wrote:
If you've been following the 2nd edition threads and previews you can see the hype for the 2nd edition is rising. There has already been a few mentions of people wishing they had picked up the 1st edition for the extra monsters and characters to use with 2nd edition.

Funny, I would have thought the hype for 2.0 would decrease the value of 1.0... then again, I have a massive collection of prepainted D&D mini's that I'd much rather use than the unpainted minis that come with Descent. I can see how the rates for 1.0 shot up: everyone who starts with 2.0 would like the old minis for variety and everyone who sticks to 1.0 wants to complete his collection.

Jan, since you live in Holland too, I'm sure we can work something out if I decide to sell them separately. Going to try Jacob's suggestion first, though. I mean, $750... wow. BTW I don't have any promo's except for the one that came with SoB. Did you assume I did when you came up with $750?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jan Tuijp wrote:

And ehm... if you DO sell them apart, I would be very interested in AoD, since thats the only one I don't have...

And I'd be interested in RtL, since that's the only one my son doesn't have.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Tuijp
Netherlands
Volendam
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GIBraag wrote:
Jan, since you live in Holland too, I'm sure we can work something out if I decide to sell them separately.

I'll PM you, just in case...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Braga
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Huh, just remembered that I also still had the mini's of my first big box; the one my cat "ate". Any idea what just the monster + hero mini's could go for? I figure it's all you need from the big box if you just want to just it for 2.0.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Butlerian Atreides
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Hands off!
badge
Are you eyeballing me?
mbmbmb
Not to long ago I bought the following descent lot:

Road to legend,
Altar of despair,
Well of darkness,
base set
quest compendium
sea of blood
tomb of ice

I paid 175 Euros
ex postage.

So not to be a party pooper but the 750 dollars is way to much. There is no one gone pay that price.

Good luck by the way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Braga
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'd say you were very lucky then.

They cost me about 300 euro new and that was long before they went OOP. I don't expect $750 for them, but $500 should be doable (that's 400 euro).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.