Ben Holle
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
I am interested in solotaire games and this one is highly rated. However I dislike FFG in general. Poorly written rules, lots of errata, seeming lack of playtesting sometimes, etc.

Before this gets off on a tangent - I don't want to debate the merits of FFG; that has been done elsewhere. My questions are for those of you who also generally dislike FFG but like this specific game. Are there any of you out there?

Should I play this game? Why do you like this game but dislike most other FFG titles? What is this one doing right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
This one has the poorly written rules (or, more precisely, inadequate card interaction details, and issues with the rules as well) lots of errata and a seeming lack of playtesting in spades.

This is my first, and almost certainly my last FFG game.

I still like it, though, despite all the issues. Largely because I can play it solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Saloff
United States
Edinboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
This is a rebellion, isn't it? I rebel.
badge
He's a card player, gambler, scoundrel. You'd like him.
mbmbmbmbmb
bholle wrote:
I am interested in solotaire games and this one is highly rated. However I dislike FFG in general. Poorly written rules, lots of errata, seeming lack of playtesting sometimes, etc.

Before this gets off on a tangent - I don't want to debate the merits of FFG; that has been done elsewhere. My questions are for those of you who also generally dislike FFG but like this specific game. Are there any of you out there?

Should I play this game? Why do you like this game but dislike most other FFG titles? What is this one doing right?

I don't particularly have a problem with FFG, though their seemingly constant rules issues do irk me a bit, and I have played more than my fair share of this game.

I would say that if you have a hard time living with slightly poor rules or badly worded cards and clarifications that it is a minor problem in this game as well. There's just been a few cards that needed rulings already and you'll need to take a look at the growing FAQ on their site.

That said, why play this game? Because, if you like co-op/solo games, like card games, and like Lord of the Rings MAN is this game fun. Like REALLY fun. My friends and I haven't gotten this much play out of a game since Star Wars CCG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Pickles
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
I share your opinion of FFG overall though they have nailed nice bits.
This one is pretty good. I have not found the card interactions weird though that's maybe because I have played lot of games in the past & the rules are OK - it's simpler & less fiddly than many FFG games.

It is a lot of fun solo which is how much of my deckbuilding has to go these days & the flavour works for me & the cards are great - FFGs strength. It has a reasonable buy in to try it, though it ain't cheap to keep up with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Riehl
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, some of these issues are present. I think this is partly a problem inherent in expanding card games - there are so many interactions it's impossible to predict them all. On the other hand, I think the support has been strong, with the designer answering rules questions and FFG publishing an updated rules FAQ. I have not found the short comings of the rules writing to undermine my enjoyment of the game any.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giulio Virzo
Italy
Latina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've carefully noticed the "I am interested in solotaire games and this one is highly rated" sentence (lol, even the typo ahahah) and I may say some interesting things from my little point of view.

I'm a heavy fan of Tolkien's stuff, sometime I really enjoy playing solo games (Arkham Horror, LotR LCG, Dungeonquest et similia) or solitaire variant of well-known multiplayer games (Runebound mostly) and I have pc, ipads, consolles (huge fan of Bethesda's stuff like Oblivion, Fallout3 and now Skyrim) and I must admit (in a very positively sense by me) that if one boardgame/cardgame can best every other game in a "solo gaming" contest, this one may be most probably this LotR LCG.

I have all core set and expansions until Watcher in the Water (buying italian releases just to let my friends play this sometime - some of them are bad at english lol).

Making decks is very fun (if you like deckbuilding and beating that certain scenario which seems unbeatable for you at the moment...), another good thing is that you're costantly proved hard in decision making: sometime a delayed choice or a sudden attack can lead you to a complete disaster, other times you'll be greatly rewarded (just try to survive the Anduin mission and his damn trolls and locations eheheh) and in most cases you'll end up with the eternal question: "maybe I may build a better deck?" and so forth...

This game, bad news, has some errata, need a decent FAQ search and I'm quite sure you'll end up peeking at some decklist available online, not mentioning some interesting strategy threads and mission evaluation. Never said a thing about customizable missions nor highly customized cards... And yet, you may find even that sort of stuff...

Depends on the genre, depends on loving to do some deckbuild, depends on our inner patience limit... But this game is really enjoyable once you're caught by his mechanism. I'll suggest do yourself a favor and at least give it a try. Pick the best solo game ever created. (fan opinion, LOL!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Holle
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
No FFG fans allowed!

Just kidding - thanks for your opinion Giulio; but you only get .23 geekgold because you pointed out my typo.

I do have a follow up:

Jools75 wrote:
I'm a heavy fan of Tolkien's stuff

Do you think you would like it is as much if you were indifferent to Tolkien? I haven't read him; I saw the movies and enjoyed them. I like some fantasy; George RR Martin and Steven Erickson. So I am not going to automatically dislike the theme.

But, would you say you have to be a Tolkien fan to enjoy the game?

And thanks to everyone else who has replied thus far! The thrust of your replies seem to be "yeah, the typical FFG issues are there but the game is so good that it is worth it".

If this is the case I am leaning towards giving it a shot!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Riehl
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think "I saw the movies and enjoyed them" is exactly the audience this game is best for. Some of the more hardcore Tolkien fans find the lack of perfect faithfulness to be annoying. The game has, to my taste, just the right amount of theme. You'll enjoy smashing an orc with Gimli more if you have some sense of who Gimli is, but knowledge of the story is certainly not an essential component of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Builder
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think being a fan of Tolkien is essential for enjoying this game. It might make you enjoy it even more though, as if that was even possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Kruczek
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Although I wasn't that keen on the game itself, I have to say that I didn't find the rules particularly complex or difficult to understand. One reading of the rules was enough for me to play the game through, and I only had to refer back to them for things that I had forgotten. Compare the likes of Death Angel where I needed two read-throughs and constant referencing just to get the game to function.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
matt_k wrote:
Although I wasn't that keen on the game itself, I have to say that I didn't find the rules particularly complex or difficult to understand. One reading of the rules was enough for me to play the game through, and I only had to refer back to them for things that I had forgotten. Compare the likes of Death Angel where I needed two read-throughs and constant referencing just to get the game to function.
The rules are actually pretty clear for picking up the game (and there are good videos, too). The problems come in the details - a timing chart that is superficial at best and misleading at worst, very sloppily written cards open to lots of interpretation, and so on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim D
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The big advantage of this game on other FFG is that it is co-op/solo.
If a rule is not clear, or a card interaction could be interpreted in different ways, you can just decide for yourself/your playgroup which ruling is the most fair.

So thanks to the co-op/solo setup, it is less of a problem that this game is FFG with rule problems and non-playtested interactions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matej Dolenc
Slovenia
Škofja Loka
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I never had any problems with any FFG rules and I played quite some of them, including LOTR LCG.

I found LOTR LCG pretty challenging.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giulio Virzo
Italy
Latina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bholle wrote:
No FFG fans allowed!

Just kidding - thanks for your opinion Giulio; but you only get .23 geekgold because you pointed out my typo.

I do have a follow up:

Jools75 wrote:
I'm a heavy fan of Tolkien's stuff

But, would you say you have to be a Tolkien fan to enjoy the game?

And thanks to everyone else who has replied thus far! The thrust of your replies seem to be "yeah, the typical FFG issues are there but the game is so good that it is worth it".

Being a Tolkien's stuff fan in this specific case isn't necessary due to another unmentioned (until now, methinks) minor problem this game has. I've read somewhere that certain times this LotR LCG lacks of a "pure" and very evocative method to bring up Tolkienian atmosphere, in that particular case I've read someone (sorry, can't remember exactly where) saying "hey, sometime certain cards seem not really LotR-ish, speaking about theme". And in some mission you may notice this really little fact: sometime, due to true random card draw and the exceptions which arises when dealing shadow cards, you'll may end up with situation that in no way are depicted in books... That's all. But I suspect it's really a certain too critical way to "view and dissect" all of the game complex.

If you like adventuring and dealing (with all your skill, luck and certain sense of measure of playing) with unexpected events and of course with always unforeseen consequences, this game is the challenge you're awaiting for. I've said, also, that I'm a fan of Tolkien just to make clear that my opinion will result probably like a fan attitude with that LotR stuff lol...

The last line quoted, the one about FFG, isn't hard to assume as a really true and verified fact in this game also. To be honest...

OT: George RR Martin eh? In these very days I'm playing with a friend o' mine, discovering his newly all-cores-all-expansions stuff of "A Game of Thrones LCG", giving also hard times to him to truly appreciate this game. Ah, okay, I've never mentioned that I was quite a good Magic:The Gathering deckbuilder for standard and extended events, nor telling about drafting... And this game's making me thinking about buying at least this Martin's books... (Note: AGoT isn't in no way feasible in any solo play variation, just like Call of Cthulhu LCG...)

Try just the Core LotR LCG, you'll figure soon if you may like it or not. Important tip: expansions brings you only more choices to make more consistent deck... But some of these extra missions will also send to stars your chances to live your Fellowship's failures... Or great victories? laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Weston
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
I am ambivalent about Fantasy Flight and Tolkien but I do really like this game (solo only, thus far).

Tolkien is a good writer, and LOTR is a good series, but I think Tolkien benefits greatly from being one of the first major writers of fantasy. This does not make him the best -- others have surpassed him. Similar to the way Magic: the Gathering was the first CCG, but certainly not the best CCG, and Dominion was the first "deckbuilding" game, but better games have built on its mechanic with better results. Both Magic and Dominion are decent enough games, mind you.

I consider George R. R. Martin and Guy Gavriel Kay to be much better fantasy writers than Tolkien.

Hope that is not too off-topic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giulio Virzo
Italy
Latina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ghostwes wrote:
I am ambivalent about Fantasy Flight and Tolkien but I do really like this game (solo only, thus far).

Tolkien is a good writer, and LOTR is a good series, but I think Tolkien benefits greatly from being one of the first major writers of fantasy. This does not make him the best -- others have surpassed him. Similar to the way Magic: the Gathering was the first CCG, but certainly not the best CCG, and Dominion was the first "deckbuilding" game, but better games have built on its mechanic with better results. Both Magic and Dominion are decent enough games, mind you.

I consider George R. R. Martin and Guy Gavriel Kay to be much better fantasy writers than Tolkien.

Hope that is not too off-topic.

The simple thing is... Tolkien was a pure milestone for fantasy. And almost any decent fantasy writer... How to say... Just simply born, produced and lived (speaking in literacy terms) AFTER him in the timeline. Of course, everybody's entitled to have his own opinion. But Tolkien's literature and vastly culture actually is and will be always an important matter of studies. There must be a reason for that. And in my personal opinion every other fantasy writer cannot withstand his impressive value (and I'm not even mentioning CS Lewis, nor the "pop-commercial" RA Salvatore, nor Robert Jordan - and these are only few names coming in mind right now), his "basic" impact on everything that's recognized as fantasy (saying in "medieval and magical" terms - I'm just speaking in a general themed way, since sci-fi may be considered as fantasy by some people, who knows) and, above everything, the fact that he's well known as "the first" in his genre.

Sorry for my heavy OT excursus, just wanted to say something that I feel worldwide recognized about Tolkien's literacy. And not that I'm saying certain writer is best compared to another, just talking about effective raw literary production and his culture floating around (hope I'm expressing right, please don't damn me for my poor english).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a solo game guy most of the time. I tried LOTR and didn't like it. I didn't have much trouble understanding the game or anything, just didn't like the mechanics and it seem to play way better with more people.

If setup time/cost isn't an issue. I suggest looking at Mage Knight. Great game solo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.