BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: A newbie lost in a huge but fantastic world.. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas Casson
Wales
flag msg tools
Hello all!

Iam new to this as you all know amazing site. I play everything i can get my hands on and through this i have bought Incan gold and the party game Wits and Wagers. I picked them to 'break' my friends into playing games they have never heard of (they only play retail mainstream games, iam not blessed with friends who are up for anything) I want to play deeper games without frightening them. Iam 26 and play with friends who are all in their 20's, about 4 to 7 drama students in all After researching ive gathered a list of games i like the sound of. I would love for someone to look over them and suggest which would be the best for my rubbish friends who dont play often and only 'i have never' for the 984th time..

Settlers of Catan
Ticket to Ride Europe
Carcassonne
Zooloretto
Pandemic

Its not like my friends are stupid but having to explain games at great length is something i want to avoid without losing some deep gameplay. I am sure many of you will laugh at the games listed here but honestly i own a couple which i cant understand how to play (Marvel Heros anyone?!)
I like to think i cant do that wrong with these! But if funds only go so far which one or two would you get? Are some similar to others?
If i get a reply thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Celina
United States
University City
MO
flag msg tools
mb
Welcome to the best boardgame site on the internet!

I'd go with Carcassonne & leave off the farmer rules at the beginning. It is pretty, it has cute little pieces, and the rules are pretty simple.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
Sometimes life is scary and dark. That is why we must find the light. -BMO
mbmbmbmbmb
Out of those choices (which are good choices) I think I would be inclined to suggest Ticket to Ride Europe.

My next choice would be Settlers of Catan.

The benefit of Ticket to Ride is that it is so incredibly easy to teach/learn. It *looks* like a board game they've seen before, so it's approachable and won't turn people off, and it is very interactive and fun with a good group of people.

It's kind of the quintessential "gateway" game, and it is good enough to play for a long time to come because it has decent strategy to it.

I've found Carcassonne to be a bit intimidating to those who are completely new to boardgames, mostly because of farm scoring. It can be confusing at first. Also, the tiles are alien to people sometimes. Just different than what they've seen. Bring it in, once they see that TTR is so good :-)

Pandemic is probably a bad choice. It's great that it's cooperative, but it's probably a bit more complicated, AND it's quite hard to win. While that may drive some groups to try again, it might put some people off.

Just my $0.02
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drama students you say?

The Resistance

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan James
United States
Commerce Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
Professor, isn't it time for your nap?
badge
YES, DAMMIT!
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Carcassonne
+1 TTR
+476198231092870498637460 The Resistance
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Click
United States
Bristol
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Misterboy wrote:
Out of those choices (which are good choices) I think I would be inclined to suggest Ticket to Ride Europe.

My next choice would be Settlers of Catan.

Yep, those would be my choices.

Normally I would say Settlers, but it might be a little too much for the next game to try.

The "normal looking" Ticket to Ride seems like your best bet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J H
United States
Chesterfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drama students.....has to be Show Manager

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
“Games give you a chance to excel, and if you're playing in good company you don't even mind if you lose because you had the enjoyment of the company during the course of the game.” ― Gary Gygax
mbmbmbmbmb
Those are a good starting selection.

I personally love Pandemic. It is easy to lead a group through the first game or two and then you can pull back and let the group work the game. The expansion brings a lot of good stuff to the table.

Settlers is a good game, but the rules explanation can be difficult depending on your and your game group's game experience. I would suggest a teaching round or 3 and then restart for your first game.

Ticket to Ride/Ticket to Ride Europe are good games that are easy to learn and enjoyed by my game groups. It is a little simple for my tastes, but it is still enjoyable. It is simple enough that I learned it from the iPhone app in 5 minutes.

I cannot speak for Carcassonne directly. I do own and enjoy the stand alone game Carcassonne: The City. My wife likes it and I am not tempted to buy expansions.

I have not experience with Zooloretto.

I will second the suggestion of The Resistance. You get a taste of role playing and can support larger groups (you said 4-7).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Click
United States
Bristol
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
casualgod wrote:
Drama students you say?

The Resistance

While I personally love that game, I don't think it a good recomendation for a newly forming gamer. It is a game where you have to lie to one another, betray one another, and just trash other players. Don't want to run them off before they see the good side of gaming.

But, they are drama students like you said and the game can play up to 10...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
For Drama students you are looking for

Time's Up.

Really go out and buy it today and play it tonight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Grand Prairie
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Settlers of Catan is THE primo gateway game. I've converted many a non-gamer with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
monchi
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
if you are looking for something a little light for a big group that could be fun you could look at a game like Shadow Hunters. It plays best with at least 6 people as you get 2 each of the 3 different roles in the game. If you are looking for a "party" game or something you can play as a group look into games like Attribute or Apples to Apples. I find creative types like those games.

If you do get TTR I would suggest getting TTR Europe and the expansion as it will provide you with a lot of enjoyment.

Really the question is what you think your standard group size will be?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joanna G
United States
Laguna Niguel
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sayburr wrote:
casualgod wrote:
Drama students you say?

The Resistance

While I personally love that game, I don't think it a good recomendation for a newly forming gamer. It is a game where you have to lie to one another, betray one another, and just trash other players. Don't want to run them off before they see the good side of gaming.

But, they are drama students like you said and the game can play up to 10...

I disagree - I think The Resistance is a great game to introduce to new gamers. We played this when all my siblings and I came home last summer and even got our MOM to play. We loved it. It worked especially well because we know each other so well, we were able to use it to our advantage to trick the others. For instance, the brothers all ended up being spies one game and they split the group - they got the rest of us suspicious of each other, it was a perfect strategy. Another game I convinced my mom I wasn't a spy and after when it was revealed I was, she was shocked! She joked that she could never trust me again because I was so good at lying to her. It was a blast.

It does depend on the group, but since they are Drama students, I suspect they would love the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Blue
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Instead of Zooloretto, I would go with Aquaretto, which is similar to, but which improves upon, the original. It plays a little faster, has less fiddly scoring, and introduces some basic worker placement elements to deepen the game a bit. Overall, I find the sequel better than the original.

That said, the other games on your list are all good choices. For a cooperative game, maybe consider Flash Point: Fire Rescue, which has a more widely-appealing theme than Pandemic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think The Resistance would be a terrific gateway game. It's not that removed from Werewolf and that gets played at office Christmas parties.

Ticket to Ride is a wonderful gateway game, the easiest conventional choice.

I would add Cosmic Encounter to your list. It doesn't quite fit the Euro leaning list but I haven't yet seen a group which doesn't love it. The rules are very easy, the complexity comes from the group dynamic itself and it gets better the more you play.

The only title I wouldn't recommend (yet), though it is a good game, is Pandemic. It would surely suffer from the "alpha player" syndrome in which one player (likely you) would fall into the role of coordinating everyone else's actions too much rather than them enjoying their own participation.

Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander K
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I haven't played this yet, but it sounds like drama students might really enjoy Fiasco. It looked like a cross between an improv activity and a role playing game.

http://www.bullypulpitgames.com/games/fiasco/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
adamb2k9 wrote:
Settlers of Catan is THE primo gateway game. I've converted many a non-gamer with it.
|Settlers used to be 'the only' gateway game. Now that there are lots more to choose from, it is pretty obvious that it is actually a dreadful gateway game. Far too many issues. Ticket to Ride and Carcassonne are much better as gateways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Maxwell
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
AnnuverScotinExile wrote:
adamb2k9 wrote:
|Settlers used to be 'the only' gateway game. Now that there are lots more to choose from, it is pretty obvious that it is actually a dreadful gateway game. Far too many issues. Ticket to Ride and Carcassonne are much better as gateways.

I second this. Settlers has some pretty major flaws. These can be mitigated to some degree with expansions- either Cities & Knights or Traders & Barbarians- but then it ceases to be "newbie friendly" anyway. As an introductory game I'd definitely go with Carc (either base game or +Inns & Cathedrals, don't add any other expansions, and play without the farm tules for a start).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ticket to Ride Europe
Carcassonne
The Resistance
Pandemic

The first two will be difficult for them to not like. The next two bring a nice change of pace. Citadels might be a good #5 pick due to the players being able to pick roles for each round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kazimierczak
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a bit worried that some of he games on your list may be light enough on rules but dry and boring in the theme department, which is ok for some but staunch nongamers may respond with "and that's exactly why I don't play board games, build puzzles, collect stamps, etc." Carcassone comes to mind.

I think of the Resistance more as a party game than a board game.

I suggest:

King of Tokyo
Epic Spell Wars of the Battle Wizards: Duel at Mt. Skullzfyre
Pandemic

They're all on the light side and good for some good laughs and stories afterward.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Grand Prairie
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AnnuverScotinExile wrote:
it is pretty obvious that it is actually a dreadful gateway game. Far too many issues. Ticket to Ride and Carcassonne are much better as gateways.

AndyMax wrote:
I second this. Settlers has some pretty major flaws.

I don't know what "issues" or "major flaws" you guys are talking about. But whatever "issues" or "flaws" you're referring to have never had any impact on the games appeal to the non-gamers I've introduced to Settlers of Catan. I actually think TTR and Carc are boring in comparison. Settlers promotes table talk, laughter and socializing. Something non-gamers are usually welcoming of. Settlers seems perfect for a group of 20 something drama students that are graduating from Wits and Wagers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
adamb2k9 wrote:
I don't know what "issues" or "major flaws" you guys are talking about.

Luck of the dice roll and the robber getting stuck. If you want a social game and have 4-5 players, Cosmic Encounter seems like a better pick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Hamm
United States
Huxley
Iowa
flag msg tools
See this text? It's a gratuitous waste of GeekGold.
badge
The game itself isn't important. Spending time intellectually jousting with likeminded folks is the real reason to game.
mbmbmbmbmb
+383 for The Resistance. I'd also look at Dixit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.A.H. van de Laak
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 The Resistance... especially since they are drama students!

Super easy rules!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"Federer is Betterer"
mbmbmbmbmb
Resistance is a winning idea ... I also agree that Dixit would be good for the group you describe.

I would also highly recommend you check out BANG! The Bullet!. This is a fantastic game for a group of people. A shoot em' up with outlaws, sheriff and renegades. Drama students would probably eat this up ... and its alot of fun and easy to learn. (The sheriff even gets to wear a badge)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.