Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: CardGame [+] DrinkingGame [+] DrunkQuest [+] [View All]
Jasn Painter
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
Hi guys,

My fiance and I have a drinking card game that's going live on kickstarter in a few weeks (finishing video editing!) But I wanted to give the boardgame geek community a quick sneak peak before I push it live..

So the game is fast paced like munchkin but centered around drinking to defeat monsters. When the game starts you pick a hero class and a realm card, they look like this.

Each class and realm offers unique bonuses for the players. The class cards center around letting you help yourself or harm other players and the realm cards grant rewards when you manage to drink a certain amount during a monster battle.

Once everyone has their character and realm each player is dealt 5 treasure cards, which look like this...

There are 4 different types of treasure cards, each type centers around a theme. Actions are cards you play on your own as well as other players monsters. They can do anything from increase the amount of drinks it takes to defeat a monster to add treasure to summon a second monster to join the fight. Instants are cards that can be played at any time. Most of the Instant cards center around making other players drink outside of combat. Permanents are gear for your hero and offer bonuses for the entire game. And the last type of cards are Interrupts, interrups stop actions, instants and permanents from working for a round.

So when a player begins their turn they draw a monster from the draw pile. Monster cards look like this...

The red number in the top left indicates how many drinks you must take to defeat the monster and the green number at the bottom right is its treasure value. That's how many treasures you will gain for defeating him.

To win the game a player must level to 6. You gain a level each time you defeat a monster. But the fun of the game circles around player interaction. stealing another players monster or adding drinks to it or making it worth no level or treasure or...well there are a lot of things you can do with treasure cards.

Anyway, I hope you guys like it. And if you have any questions I will do my best to answer them, thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i like the cards and its a unique idea, not my bag as I dont drinnk but good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The graphic design is great. It looks like players have to have a wide variety of liquors, wines, and beers on hand in order to play, making it a steep investment for those who don't have the stuff lying around already.

Also, who would want to take four shots of Aftershock? Blech.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Koeppen
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
LEGO: Hopeful for new 'Castle' sets in 2015!
badge
Games: Regarding my favorite theme of 'Fantasy', I'm hoping for fewer 'card' games and more 'board' games.
mbmbmbmbmb
Haha, neat idea. I will certainly be keeping an eye on it once it is released. Above all, it looks like FUN.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Click
United States
Bristol
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The cards look nice. I like the idea of a drinking game that is really a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasn Painter
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
Thanks for the feedback guys! Yeah we both have heavy graphics design backgrounds so it was something we paid attention to during initial concept.

Also Nick, you don't need a bunch of alcohol, just whatever drink you are drinking that night. The cards are just themed after different types of alcoholic beverages. Making people take drinks of beer followed by Jager and then Aftershock would just be mean, probably funny, but still mean.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Arlington

Orlando
Florida
msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
This looks fantastic. I will be looking forward to seeing this on Kickstarter, and so will a couple other people I showed it to in the office.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bendit
United States
Middleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks fantastic. You've got my support when this lands on KS

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Non Sequitur
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing significant to add - just want to say you've got a perfect audience with my gaming group. There's a market for this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Westgard
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope the cards are heavily plastic coated...or even...plastic. Well...you know what's gonna happen to a 90 pound 21 year old girl reaching level 6 .... gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
I also purchased this and do not know what to do with it!
badge
I purchased this and do not know what to do with it!
mbmbmbmbmb
NoodleArtist wrote:
I hope the cards are heavily plastic coated...or even...plastic. Well...you know what's gonna happen to a 90 pound 21 year old girl reaching level 6 .... gulp

Or a 110 lb 24 year old man... Sign me UP!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Westgard
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This game is going to re-define the meaning of "Gateway Games"

A gateway to WHAT is the question...

What exactly happens to GEEKs when they get drunk?
LARPing?
Fursuits?
Overdoses of Taco-Bell?
Waking up with meeples in unexpected places?

Perhaps a question for another thread...which I am afraid to post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasn Painter
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
Thanks for the compliments and feedback all, just a quick comment on the cards themselves. The cards are 350GSM weight so they will be pretty hefty and they are double coated. They are also jumbo sized at 3.5x5.5 (Think Tarot card size) so they will still be readable during extended play sessions There are 200 of them and over half of them have unique art.

Also each character class is themed after an alcohol as well, the wizard up there for example is themed after Martinis. And we have 8 classes and realms in the base set. But as an exclusive to kickstarter we will offer 1 more character class and realm card from a (hopefully) expansion.

The werewolf is of course themed after moonshine!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Liu
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds great!
Be sure to post back when you are live on KS!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl with one "R"
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How similar (if at all) is this game to Drinking Quest?

http://www.drinkingquest.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasn Painter
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
Zaphod, thanks for the question! Our games are very different. I would say the only similarities are the name and the fantasy theme.

I haven't played Drinking Quest but in reading their site and some of the reviews it appears you only drink when your character is injured or dies in order to regain health. You are also using a pen and paper to keep track of your characters stats.

In DrunkQuest you are drinking almost every turn in order to defeat monsters. And you are only ever using a D6 to use your characters abilities and keep track of your level.

I would say Drinking Quest is closer to D&D and DrunkQuest is closer to Munchkin. I hope this helps, and thanks again for the question! I was hoping to get to answer some
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip W.
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Euros are better with dice!
mbmbmbmbmb
You should ship this with a set of tiny, tiny glasses, like thimble sized.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Click
United States
Bristol
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
messiahforhire wrote:

The werewolf is of course themed after moonshine!
Ahhhh... that is the card I need... Caption needs to be changed, "Government liquor? I make my own"

In these here parts we call liquor bought at a store "government liquor" because you have to pay taxes on it in order to be allowed to drink it... 'shine, however, you can drink without the government interfering.

...as a matter of fact, if someone asks, "Got any good liquor?", they mean 'shine...

Edit: Never mind, just got the pun...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Jordal
United States
Austin
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Ike Clanton painted by me for Wild West Exodus
mbmbmbmbmb
Did he say fast paced like Munchkin Almost every game of that I have played has dragged on for hours!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Theiler
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I really like the graphic design work. Nicely done!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike
United States
columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You should see if you can submitt this to the thinkgeek catalog

seems like natural fit, that along with spencer's and hot topic and any college book store should you go the retail route

I can see this one being played across college and military dorms across the country
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fish Eye
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Cards look nice, but maybe an editor is in order before you go to print? From a quick look, a couple of minor typos jumped out in the few that you've shown:

Wizard: "Swap monsters treasure and drink values" (should be apostrophe in "monsters" in both instances

Aftershok: "It's crystals are highly sought after" (should be no apostrophe on its)

Independant: (should be Independent)

Anyhow, best of luck with the kickstart. Not sure it's a game for me, but as others have said there's probably a good market for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasn Painter
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
Michael, I think it depends on your gaming group. But yes, I've played games of munchkin that have taken hours. We've got some treasure cards that are designed to be able to counter games taking that long.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasn Painter
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
Hi Fish Eye, Yeah these images are a few versions old. We've had an editor do a sweep and we've simplified a lot of text. The cards are all easily understood and grammar/spelling error free now, good catch though! I should have known better then to post pics with errors in them on a board game forum

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K F
msg tools
My money is ready

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.