David Bernier
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey!!!!!!!!!!!
I owned TI3+SE for a few months and sold it due to not having anough people to play it as it was meant to be played. I loved the game even with a 2-player varian I found here. I can easily say that TI3 would have been my #1 game if I had the group of gamers to support it.

Played Eclipse and like it, but lacks the "political" aspect I liked about TI3.

Now, most of my games are 2 to 4 players, 2-player once a week and 3-4 players once a week or every 2 weeks.

So, what I like:
- Plays really well with 2 players
- Good lenght that feels like you have the time to plan and execute your strategy
- Under 3 hours (it's ok on that point)
- Enjoyable, fun, easy to teach, lots of replayability

Empires of the Void...should I buy it for 2-player games? Is it enjoyable? Is it too war driven (elimination) when played with only 2? Is there a co-op variant available?

Thanks a million to all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Steurich
United States
Seattle
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played 4 games so far, and only as 2-player games.

The replayability is pretty high due to the number of factions to play and the number of planets in play. I don't see myself getting bored with the permutations.

The game plays quick enough that getting a further game in 1 sitting is probable and desirable.

On the spectrum from long-term strategy to reactionary turn-by-turn play, this game is more to the reactionary turn-by-turn side. Which I like because a quick move for a planet grab (and resulting bonuses) can change the strategy for both players in an instant.

I would suggest picking up a copy, but if you are at all unsure, then try it out first (if you can find a demo copy).

One more thing, my friend with whom I play picked up Eclipse when it came out and loved it (we all did). Now he's sure EotV is a better game.

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Domenic
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Would you ever really want to see an angel?
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played 3 games so far, once each as 2, 3, and 4 players. I mostly echo what
Justin Steurich
United States
Seattle
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
said, though I suffer from AP and so haven't found the game to be quick enough to get in multiple rounds.

I've been making minor tweaks to better suit my play group, but I really like the basic structure of the game and have no regrets about buying it. I'm hoping to get another 4p game in tonight.

I haven't played TI3 or Eclipse ... what is the "political" aspect that you liked in TI3?

Quote:
Empires of the Void...should I buy it for 2-player games? Is it enjoyable? Is it too war driven (elimination) when played with only 2? Is there a co-op variant available?

I think it is fine as a two-player game, but it is war-driven, if that is a concern. In short, there are 11 planets in a 2-player game, including your homeworlds. If each player takes over one neutral planet each turn, then the entire board will be occupied by turn 5. There are 11 turns, so the last more-than-half of the game will be spent in direct conflict.

As published, there is no way for a player to be eliminated, so elimination per se is not an issue, though it is possible for one player to gain an insurmountable advantage.

As of yet, there is no co-op variant available, but I would like to see one, and may even get around to making one at some point. It's not too hard to imagine simple scenarios (e.g., stationary neutral fleets that must be destroyed before game end), but it will take some thought to generate something with substantial replayability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M C
United States
Honolulu
HI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are playing mostly 2 player, go with Space Empires: 4X. It also does solo well. It also has great vassal support (thanks to GMT).

1) Replayability is much higher as there are more viable strategies.
2) You get a better sense that you are building something, and making meaningful choices.

I like EotV. I don't regret buying it, but what you are asking for seems better filled by Space Empires.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Waltier
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the trick - you like politics but want to play with 2 players. That's going to be hard to satisfy, and really this isn't going to be better than Eclipse in that regard. In fact I would describe Empires of the Void as being like Eclipse but simpler and with more luck. Not luck as in "I got this okay thing instead of a different thing", but the much more frustrating "I used my whole turn trying to get one thing, and got nothing". The more you care about what is going on, the more frustrated you might become when things just don't go your way even when the odds are in your favor. The major comments I received from new players are "this is all about the early game", "my turns feel wasted", and "I would rather play Eclipse". You need to take planets in order to grow, and you need to roll dice in order to take planets. Since you don't seem allergic to complexity, at this point I can't recommend this if you already own or have access to Eclipse.

However, I am holding onto my copy because I could see variants and expansions making the game much more interesting, playing up the space opera drama and adding a Galactic Senate. In that regard, I wish the stats for ships were on cards instead of bring printed on oversize player boards - that way the game could be more modular like Memoir '44 or Mage Knight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
TwentySides wrote:
Here's the trick - you like politics but want to play with 2 players. That's going to be hard to satisfy, and really this isn't going to be better than Eclipse in that regard. In fact I would describe Empires of the Void as being like Eclipse but simpler and with more luck. Not luck as in "I got this okay thing instead of a different thing", but the much more frustrating "I used my whole turn trying to get one thing, and got nothing". The more you care about what is going on, the more frustrated you might become when things just don't go your way even when the odds are in your favor. The major comments I received from new players are "this is all about the early game", "my turns feel wasted", and "I would rather play Eclipse". You need to take planets in order to grow, and you need to roll dice in order to take planets. Since you don't seem allergic to complexity, at this point I can't recommend this if you already own or have access to Eclipse.

Hmm, well, I couldn't disagree more. This game feels almost NOTHING like Eclipse, at least not to me. Eclipse has a definite "euro" feel (although it does have some distinct non-Euro aspects) than EotV does. Eclipse's main variability lies with the techs and upgrades; the planets are all kind of just the same in the long run. In Empires, the variability is in fleet composition, and in terms of which planets you ally with as opposed to conquer.

While I agree Empires is "simpler", the similarities between the games is very thin.

I like Eclipse (though I'm not as in love with it as some; it's a fine game, but it's "just another game" in my collection), and I like Empires of the Void - I think both are worth owning, and for very different reasons. I wouldn't discount Empires of the Void just because you don't like Eclipse. They are very different games, with very different feels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.