Popular Tags: [View All]
David McCartney
United States
Delaware
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I have a coworker with a 9yo boy currently recovering from leukemia that's been having a hard time with things lately. They're located in a different state, so I'd like to get him some games he'll enjoy and hoping a package might boost his spirits.

Any recommendations? The whole family is a huge fan of the LOTR series so I've picked him up

The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game

but I'd love to hear any other suggestions.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cox
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StrikerZ Card Game is a quick, simple, fun game if they like soccer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Woodburn
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could always splurge for some Lord of the Rings Heroclix. I'm not a big Heroclix fan personally in fact I'd suggest Heroscape if were talking game play but opening the packages and seeing all the little figures would probably be a lot of fun for a 9 year old. Perhaps a starter set and some boosters would be a good way to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
A sealed copy of the junior edition of Sorts is on a shelf in my game room:

I'll be happy to send it your way.

If you want it, zap me a GeekMail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Pizio
United States
Fall River
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Another year, another support drive, another silly Over text
badge
Which way to the nearest cliff?
mbmbmbmbmb
Lord of the Rings may be the way to go. It is cooperative, maybe the we're in this together aspect will boost his morale? There are also a couple of expansions if they like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I swear, honestly, I was about to suggest Pandemic(I am such an idiot sometimes). If the theme was anything else, it would be perfect.

I haven't played it myself, but I think Flash Point might be a good choice. Kids love Fireman, and the theme is something the whole family can get into. Also, since it is co-op, everyone can help each other out and joke around without worrying about who is "winning".

My best wishes go out to the boy and his family.

Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Full
United States
Vienna
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Erratik wrote:
I swear, honestly, I was about to suggest Pandemic(I am such an idiot sometimes). If the theme was anything else, it would be perfect.

I haven't played it myself, but I think Flash Point might be a good choice. Kids love Fireman, and the theme is something the whole family can get into. Also, since it is co-op, everyone can help each other out and joke around without worrying about who is "winning".

My best wishes go out to the boy and his family.

Hope this helps.

Forbidden Island is Pandemic with a lighter more kid (and this situation) friendly theme.

Also, if they like LotR and co-op games, why not the co-op Knizia LotR game? It was the first co-op game I ever played and I still enjoy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve McClure
United States
Fowler
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My eight year old son isn't all that much of a gamer, at least not yet. Of my games, he enjoys Bohnanza and Saboteur most. He likes playing Dominion, but if three of four players are playing and attack cards are in play and the game drags on...we love the game, but aren't that good at it...he is about 50/50 on making it through the session.

More thematic games do appeal to him. He enjoys Battleballand a game of HeroQuest. On this thematic front, while 45 minutes is too long for some games, Return of the Heroes will hold his attention for three or four hours.

Good luck in your endeavor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
miyu wrote:

Forbidden Island is Pandemic with a lighter more kid (and this situation) friendly theme.

Also, if they like LotR and co-op games, why not the co-op Knizia LotR game? It was the first co-op game I ever played and I still enjoy it.

Yes, Forbidden Island is an excellent call. It is more kid-friendly than Flash Point in terms of rules and gameplay. Great call.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Boyll
United States
Kuna
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep the whimsy high to aid in the smiles an laughter. Go for games that are not to long as he may get exhausted easily.
King of Tokyo
Poo: The Card Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kluessendorf
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
... that God loves us and wants us to be happy. -Benjamin Franklin-
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Hive or Hey, That's My Fish!? One of the nice thing about Hive (especially in a hospital setting) is that all the pieces are made of plastic and could easily be washed / disinfected. There is also a version out, Hive Pocket, that is a very small, portable version - that could easily be played on a hospital tray and includes the 2 expansions Hive: The Mosquito and Hive: The Ladybug.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Full
United States
Vienna
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Getaklue wrote:

How about Hive or Hey, That's My Fish!? One of thee nice thing about Hive (especially in a hospital setting) is that all the pieces are made of plastic and could easily be washed / disinfected.

That is an awesome reason and recommendation!

Although the abstract game doesn't bring much whimsy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kluessendorf
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
... that God loves us and wants us to be happy. -Benjamin Franklin-
mbmbmbmbmb
miyu wrote:
Getaklue wrote:

How about Hive or Hey, That's My Fish!? One of thee nice thing about Hive (especially in a hospital setting) is that all the pieces are made of plastic and could easily be washed / disinfected.

That is an awesome reason and recommendation!

Although the abstract game doesn't bring much whimsy.

Maybe not much whimsy, but don't most little boys like all things bug related? :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
robbdaman wrote:
You could always splurge for some Lord of the Rings Heroclix. I'm not a big Heroclix fan personally in fact I'd suggest Heroscape if were talking game play but opening the packages and seeing all the little figures would probably be a lot of fun for a 9 year old. Perhaps a starter set and some boosters would be a good way to go.

An alternate suggestion is Sentinels of the Multiuniverse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McCartney
United States
Delaware
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to all for the suggestions and assistance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.