Shawn George
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Open your eyes...
mbmbmbmbmb
The Ticket to Ride PC game is now available on Steam for $9.99. This is the same game that was previously sold through Days of Wonder's website. They are running a special promotion where the Europe DLC is free if you purchase before May 31st. The DLC went for $4.99 on Days of Wonder's website, I imagine it will be a similar price here once the promotion ends.

Also available are the USA 1910 and Switzerland DLCs for $1.99 and $3.99, respectively.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/108200
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Pilnick
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does this use the same online system as playing on the iPad or through their website? And why would I buy the game on Steam when you can play on their website?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hurd
United States
Gordon
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good question! Someone give me a reason to buy and play it on Steam. Pros and cons, etc.

As a PC and Android user, I'd love to have something that compares more to the iPad version... The current PC version is acceptable. But I'm curious how well-implemented the Steam version is.

And, if I install Steam Mobile on my Kindle Fire (which I know requires some minor hoop jumps), will I be able to play this new Steam-powered version on my Kindle Fire?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Earl
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I don't understand what Steam is, because I see no reason why they would need this since they have an online PC version already.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason B
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.jasonbegy.com
badge
http://www.jasonbegy.com
mbmbmbmbmb
cheng wrote:
I guess I don't understand what Steam is, because I see no reason why they would need this since they have an online PC version already.

I do understand what Steam is (digital content delivery + social features) and I still don't understand why you would buy this, even if TtR was a good game devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn George
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Open your eyes...
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I understand, and as stated on Days of Wonder's website (http://www.daysofwonder.com/en/play/), you get a free 4 game trial when you join. Anything above and beyond that and you have to purchase the game.

As far as the merits of getting this on Steam go, lots of PC gamers prefer Steam because it's a centralized hub for your games, has community features, etc. If you don't already use Steam, I can understand why there isn't as much appeal. The biggest draw for those of you would be the free Europe DLC.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Earl
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
reverendvader wrote:
And, if I install Steam Mobile on my Kindle Fire (which I know requires some minor hoop jumps), will I be able to play this new Steam-powered version on my Kindle Fire?

Browsing the website, it appears that the mobile version does not allow you to actually play the games. Only the other stuff, whatever that is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Wenzel
United States
Mariposa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the heads up! I went ahead and purchased the Steam version with all the DLC. It is much better than the old PC CD-ROM version I have from many years ago but I guess that was to be expected.

The graphics, menus and sound are better than the XBLA version that I usually play on.

Looks like the iPad 1 & 2 versions of the boards as the ship near Los Angeles is missing on the US map. The ship is on the original board game and the iPad 3 version. I do not own an iOS device that will play the game so I can't do an in depth comparison against those platforms.

I can't compare it to the web version as I haven't played that in years.

I also can't comment on the online play as I have not tried it yet but it does allow you to play against players on other platforms. I have no idea which platforms but there are users on there with tens of thousands of games played so I'm guess it would have to be the web version and or the iOS versions.

Pros:
-Great graphics
-Entertaining music that fits each boards theme
-Beautiful menus - when they aren't stuttering (more on that later)
-Great how-to video for first time players
-Easy to navigate instructions that can be pulled up during play. Great for checking rule variants between the different versions of the game.
-Online and Offline leader boards
-Interface works well on tablet devices

Cons:
-Weird load times before a menu pops up for the first time. This happens when navigating the menus before starting the game and dialogs during play. One example is when you click to get a set of destination tickets for the first time the game will freeze for a second (music and all) before popping up the dialog asking if you're sure you want to continue. This could be my on-board video as I haven't upgraded yet. For reference I'm running an i7 2600k with 4g RAM on XP(32).
-Poor AI and far as I can tell there is nowhere to change the difficulty. I hope I'm wrong. I've played three player games where my score is higher than the two CPU opponents combined. In one game the computer ended with 17 points and I wasn't blocking routes. I'm sure if I blocked routes I could get a CPU with a negative score.
-No joystick support. A minor quip but would have been nice for the HTPC.

Overall I'm very happy with the game and it will be my new go to version of the game when I don't have anyone to play the board game with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R S
msg tools
They aren't selling it anymore on Days of Wonder. They want you to go to Steam to buy this pc game. I don't know why they did that..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wood
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They also seem to have removed the downloads for account that have already purchased the program.

I have to say, Days of Wonder seems to have taken a marketing cue from the DVD industry: double-dip and do it often!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any other thoughts on the AI? Online play holds little desire here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Wenzel
United States
Mariposa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This probably won't help most people but I would say the AI is between the medium and hard difficulties on the Xbox with it being closer to medium. My main complaint about the AI is that there is no setting, or at least no obvious setting, to adjust the difficulty. I know I said the AI is poor but at the same time the AI doesn't make totally random moves like on the easy setting on the Xbox.

If you have played a lot of Ticket to Ride over the years like I have you will probably find the AI lacking but if you are new to the game it will probably be an adequate challenge and that is probably what they were going for.

I too would like to hear what others have to say about the AI.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Wenzel
United States
Mariposa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I installed an old Radeon HD 5450 card in my PC so that I'm no longer running off the horrid Intel graphics and the game no longer has the weird pauses when loading new menus and screens. It's amazing how much better an outdated $30 video card is compared to the on board junk.

I've also noticed that the game didn't want to load if I had more than one display enabled. Disabling my secondary display immediately fixed this issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.