Popular Tags: [View All]
JR Wr
United States
North Port
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently got a hold of complete sets of all 1st Ed Armies, and will be buying a 2nd ed set.
Bringing each army to a total of 36 units.
Including: 4 wizards, 4 castles, 3 mercs, etc.

This is my first crack at a custom army. Feedback asked for and appreciated.
Wanted to see what others thought before I went to printing out and play testing.

Name...........# Units in army.....Move.....Combat.....Cost/step.....Steps
Great Wyrm............4...............2 fly........A+.............2............4
(Wizard)
Lair...........................4...............0............C4..............2............4
(Castle)
Fire Dragon ............2................3 fly........A5..............8.............2
(Merc)
Siege Dragon.............2...............1.............C5.............5............3
Drakes.....................8...............2 Amp.......C1.............1............3
Wyrmlings................6.................2 fly..........C1.............1............4
Sea Dragon...............3...............2 Water.....B2.............3............3
Forest Dragon............3...............2 Forest....C4.............4............4
Stone Dragon.............3...............3 ...............B2.............3............3
Dracolich ...............1................2 fly..........A5.............7............3

= Casters

Fire Dragon:
1) Firestorm: cast 6d6 @ F3. Targeting allowed.

Dracolich:
1) Soul Leach: cast 4d6 @F3, targeted at one enemy unit. If targeted unit is destroyed, Dracolich gains +1 Strength.

Great Wyrm (Wizard)
1) Fear: roll 1d6: 1-4: Retreat 1 enemy unit (caster choice), 5-6: No effect
1) Melt Stone: cast 3d6 @ F3, targeted at Castle unit.
1) Fireball: Cast 2d6 @F3, Targeting allowed.
2) Blood for Blood: roll 1d6: 1-4: 2 hits restored to friendly units (caster choice)
2) Dragon Rage: All friendly units in Wizard's hex attack immediately instead of on their normal turn.
3) Firestorm: cast 6d6 @F3. Targeting allowed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't check, but are you following the published/derived unit cost formula?

3-step grunt units are problematic, as they provide less cannon fodder support for the high-cost units.

There's little chance of someone ever building 4 Fire Dragons, with their cost. Consider fewer blocks.

What is the +1 strength for Soul Leech? You mean a step gain, or B3 -> B4?

I wish you luck, but this game has kinda gone by the wayside. Hopefully others will chime in with more recent experience than I.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Wr
United States
North Port
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree 3 step grunts are a bit light, I wanted it balanced off of their mobility with the amphibious movement.

And yes, the +1 strength is a step gain. So in a sense, if the attack was successful the Dracolich would not lose a step due to casting the spell.
Its based on the Demon Merc's spell ability.

Took your advice and lowered the count of the Fire Dragons to 2. Most other armies seem to have only 2-3 big hitters anyway.

Also lowered the Drakes count and added in Wyrmlings as a step 4 mobile grunt. Although Im thinking, even with flying, 1 movement may be too slow. But theres no way to increase the movement without increasing step cost or lowering overall steps.

I know its fallen to the wayside a bit. Ive only just heard about this game the last few weeks, which is a shame. But, that said, my girlfriend, some family members and several friends all like Stratego (especially the Fire and Ice version, and the Legends versions). And they like it for the Fog of War effect. So im hoping that will be a stepping stone for this.

Thanks for your thoughts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does flying/non-flying add to step cost, per the official formula? I did not remember that. I agree 1-hex flyers is kinda pointless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Wr
United States
North Port
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, im not sure if what I just downloaded off of BGG is the official deal or not.
But no, flying does not add anything in.
An army can have 3 types of flyers. Wizard, Mercs, and a special.
Each army can only have one special in it.

So the Wyrmlings could be fly 2.
And the Dracolich will be a Merc. Which works because an Army is supposed to have 3 mercs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Moore
United States
KC area
Missouri
flag msg tools
Less talking about games and more playing games.
badge
Print-n-Play Wargames and Miniatures Rules www.wargamedownloads.com
mbmbmbmbmb
cannoneer wrote:
I agree 1-hex flyers is kinda pointless.

Actually, it is not pointless, as most units cannot go into the mountains or cross rivers. Where the flyer would be able to.

Also, there are Dragons in the chaos units.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Wr
United States
North Port
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know there are Dragons in the Chaos list.
Im hoping to have an entire army be Draconian.
Another idea I have for an army is an Elemental army.

I went through the Army point builder I downloaded.
Ive made some changes to the intial list to bring it more in par
in overall points costs to the official armies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to see a pure evil army like Dark Elves or something like a Chaos army from WFB enter the mix. I need to play some more with the base WK armies first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Wr
United States
North Port
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmmm... Pure evil?
Dark elves could be doable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We will need some dark purple blocks. Does Columbia make that color?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Wr
United States
North Port
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They make white.
You can paint them up from there.
That's what im going to do for the Dragons and Elementals.
Buy enough white blocks for both and then find a killer spray paint so its all even covered.
Thinking a deep metallic blood red for Dragons.
And maybe a textured paint for the Elementals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think spielmaterial.de had some wooden blocks the exact same size as GC's, but other colors (slightly more expensive, perhaps much so with shipping to US).

I have a script I used to run now and then to check the army list here on the wiki (http://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Wizard_Kings). It also checked the values on each unit (if the cost was wrong, that could indicate a typo).

Can't find the official formula now? It used to be in an online form on that web page they created to market WK2? I can try to dig up my script and post the formula from there unless someone else has it and is faster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.