Raid on St. Nazaire» Forums » Rules

Subject: Demolition Attacks rules Clarification rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob Harrington
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I just got my game out after 20+ years on the shelf and have a Demolition Attack question.

12.1 says "Only Commando Demolition units can make Demolition attacks."

12.2 says "Any unit in the same Area can make a Demolition Attack dr once the Prepared Charges marker is in place."

12.3 " +1 drm Detonated by Assault unit"

My interpretation of this is that only Commando Demolition units can Prepare Charges but any Commando unit can detonate them.

It doesn't say specifically but you can interpret that line in 12.2 to mean that once the charge is prepared, if the result for the Demolition unit is "no effect", every other unit in the Area can make a dr (+1 drm for Charges at Risk and +1 drm if Assault unit).

I chose to to play that there can only be 1 attempt per set of charges per turn. I will have the unit that placed the charges attempt the detonation unless unit is eliminated or has left the Area.

I welcome any comments or alternate interpretation of the rules.

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's exactly how I have interpreted and played it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United Kingdom
Rochford
Essex
flag msg tools
We few,we happy few,we band of brothers;For he today that sheds his blood with me Shall be my brother: be he ne’er so vile;And gentlemen in England now-abed Shall think themself accurs’d they were no here That fought with us upon Saint Crispin’s day.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Bob

12.1 Only demolition units may place/set the charges (they are trained to know all the right n best areas to set prepared charges to effectively blow something up ! ).

12.2 Any commando unit can trigger the explosive charges ( it doesnt take special training to push a button/plunger )

12.3 Assault units get a +1drm as they arent trained in buttons/plungers !!

mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Harrington
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Thanks for the replies. I guess I interpret the rules correctly.

In 12.2 while it says that only one Prepared Charges marker can be placed in an Area it doesn't say that only one attempt can be made to detonate them per turn. it only says "Any unit in the same Area can make a Demolition Attack dr once the Prepared Charges marker is in place."

If one were so inclined, they could interpret that to mean that every unit in the Area could try and detonated the charges. Ex. Smalley, Chant and Roy are in 222. Chant prepares charges and then gets no result. Smalley tries with +1 drm for Charges at Risk and gets no result. Then Roy tries with +1 drm for Charges at Risk and +1 for Detonation by Assult unit and gets a damaged result.

I think that the spirit of the rule is that only one unit gets to attempt detonation each turn and that is the way I play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United Kingdom
Rochford
Essex
flag msg tools
We few,we happy few,we band of brothers;For he today that sheds his blood with me Shall be my brother: be he ne’er so vile;And gentlemen in England now-abed Shall think themself accurs’d they were no here That fought with us upon Saint Crispin’s day.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

bob

12.1 states near end of paragraph..

.."A 'no effect result' simply means that the unit was not yet ready to attempt demolition.no ammo is lost,and the unit may attempt another demolition attack vs same or another target in the FOLLOWING turn."

I read this as meaning only one attempt by one unit per turn no matter how many units in area.

cheers
mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Harrington
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mixykym wrote:

bob

12.1 states near end of paragraph..

.."A 'no effect result' simply means that the unit was not yet ready to attempt demolition.no ammo is lost,and the unit may attempt another demolition attack vs same or another target in the FOLLOWING turn."

I read this as meaning only one attempt by one unit per turn no matter how many units in area.

cheers
mike
Thanks, Mike.

You are correct. I missed that when reading the rules.

Bob
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Cutcliffe
United Kingdom
Paignton
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I just don't get it at all. In a review of the game here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/221882/as-i-see-it-going...
the reviewer suggests that you place the charges one turn, and can trigger them on a subsequent turn. What is a 'qualified unit'? Why can't a unit just place a charge and trigger it in the same turn? Nothing in the rules that I have seen prevents that from happening. There's a complete mix-up about units being eliminated or leaving the hex (How!? There is no combat or movement phase between placing and detonating!), assault units detonating, all that rot.... the only reason I can see why any of this would happen is if there's a 'no effect', in which case the unit 'was not ready to make the attack'...what?! (Push the bloody button, you twerps!!) and then this makes it 'charges at risk'? Why should the placing unit want to leave the area after placing the charges; is it perhaps to hit another target and let an assault unit press the button?

This is all so confusing. Place the charges (automatic if at full strength and no bad drm's), push the button.... what is all that about charges at risk? Why can't you place another charge? Is the fuse still burning, and if so, why not just let it get on with it; why does there need to be a unit there to do the attack?

Do I get the impression that once a charge is in place, anyone can come along and use that charge as a demo attack, albeit at reduced odds if they are Assault troops?

Please can someone put up a simple sequence of how all this is supposed to happen! I would really appreciate that!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Cutcliffe
United Kingdom
Paignton
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ok, having played the game a few more times I have kind-of got the hang of it. It seems that in the normal run of play there can be any number of reasons why the demo squad might need to vacate the Area. And part of the problem is that the rules are phrased particularly badly in many places, the Demolition section not the least. This seems to be a common problem amongst AH solitaire games; it's almost as if the designer understands what me means, so everyone else should too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Harrington
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I agree that the rules were rather vague in this area.

You place the charges and press the button/plunger and nothing happens. Was it a bad detonator? faulty wiring?

The charges are still there and a detonation attempt can be made in a subsequent turn. In most cases, the demolition unit stays in place and tries to detonate the charges in the next demolition phase. But sometimes you don't get many demolition units on the ground. In those cases, I would set charges and if they don't go off, I may leave to try and use my other charges at another target and let someone else try and detonate them.

From a VP perspective, if you get a damaged result, you get half the VP and would require another charge to try for full VP but if you go to another target and get a destroyed result you have more VP than placing a second charge in the original target and if you only get a damaged result, you get half VP for that target also.

Worst case is a second damaged result on original target which uses the charge but doesn't gain any more VPs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.