SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm writing a BGG tutorial for a blog to encourage some people to try BGG. On BGG, there are registered users and non-registered users (lurkers). There's lots a registered user can do, such as rate games, comment, post in forums, ad-block and so on. But is there anything a lurker cannot do?

Now, it may seem bleedin' obvious that a lurker cannot do things that a registered user can do. But that is not what I'm asking. Are there parts of the site, or functionality, that only becomes apparent or usable after you register? Other than posting, adding ratings/comments/collection, trading, uploading, GG, avatar, badges?

For example, I thought that you could not follow some links (such as Comments) if you weren't logged in, but that seems to have changed (or I'm just confused).

If you spend all your time logged in, you won't realise what you cannot do if you are not logged in. I'm wondering if there are things you can do after registering that are not explicitly obvious. I suppose re-arranging the front page modules or the game page sections would be one thing. Threshhold is another, plonking another. What else does a registered user get access to or the usability of that a lurker does not?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

If you register and have added other users to your Geekbuddy list, you can quickly see what those users think about a game (both ratings and comments). If you're not registered, but there's people you follow, you can't simply go to the game page and see what those other people think of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Celina
United States
University City
MO
flag msg tools
mb
You can't thumb if you aren't registered.

Edit:

You also can't download files, or at least you couldn't when I registered. That's why I signed up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there any downside to not registering?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Timothy
Canada
Uxbridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
you cannot see large resolution images if you're not logged in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Unregistered users cannot contribute content or corrections, which would drive me crazy if I saw something that needed to be corrected or knew of a game that was not in the database.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrin Williams
United States
Allen
Texas
flag msg tools
I have overtext. Yes I do.
badge
I have overtext. How 'bout you !
mbmbmbmbmb

I think the subscription service is the nicest thing about registering. You can be alerted of any new posts in a game you're interested in.

You also can't do any Play By Forums if you're not registered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Mold the chaos into something beautiful
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're not registered, you can't pay to block the ads!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mousey
Netherlands
Je suis Paris
flag msg tools
ESSEN The Game: SPIEL '13 Featuring Jonah
badge
RIP Jonah Lomu 1975-2015
mbmbmbmbmb
As a registered user you can (apart from what was already said):
geekmail
trade
participate in all those wonderfull give-aways
take part in Secret Santa
be part of an awesome community

I did log off for one minute to see what else I was missing.... that was a terrible experience.
Missed right away:
Recently viewed
and the already mentioned subscription system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can't use the chat room (Misc > GeekChat).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DarrinWilliams wrote:
I think the subscription service is the nicest thing about registering. You can be alerted of any new posts in a game you're interested in.

That's a strong benefit. Didn't occur to me, exactly the kind of thing you don't notice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skelebone wrote:
Unregistered users cannot contribute content or corrections, which would drive me crazy if I saw something that needed to be corrected or knew of a game that was not in the database.

A reasonable point, but casual users would also have to fathom how to make corrections or add content to benefit in this case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mousey wrote:
As a registered user you can (apart from what was already said):
geekmail

Yes, that's not an obvious benefit until you start using it. There are responses you might want to say but not publicly.

Mousey wrote:
Missed right away:
Recently viewed

Yes, that's handy, saves having to go back and search to return to a page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Celinashope wrote:
You also can't download files, or at least you couldn't when I registered. That's why I signed up.

Yes, that was a good benefit. That seems to have changed. I think though that if you are registered, you don't see Captcha so much. That might be my imagination though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
amwiles wrote:

If you register and have added other users to your Geekbuddy list, you can quickly see what those users think about a game (both ratings and comments). If you're not registered, but there's people you follow, you can't simply go to the game page and see what those other people think of the game.

That's a good feature I don't use myself. I suppose for a new user you might make geek buddies of your playing circle if they use BGG already. So if you know X likes a game, you might too.

You can also subscribe to other users, and that's a good way to discover good content.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Orangemoose wrote:
Is there any downside to not registering?

It's a reasonable point. Unless you want to add content, or inter-act, there may be no added value in registering, or insufficient value. I suppose the most obvious benefit is being able to rate your own collection for your own purposes, or to build a wishlist or to trade. But new users might benefit more from building a wishlist on amazon for example, rather than here.

I'm not looking for the golden key that would get a lurker to sign on. But if you're not interested in your own collection, what else would you gain from signing on?

EDIT: My heart sinks when I find some new site today and have to register an account. I'm on so many sites, with so many passwords, having to register before using is enough to turn me away. But some sites let you sign in with your FB or twitter account, by permissions. For those sites, I'm much more likely to join.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EYE of NiGHT wrote:
For example, I thought that you could not follow some links (such as Comments) if you weren't logged in, but that seems to have changed (or I'm just confused).
By "comments" you mean the personal comments for individual games? I thought similarly and now find otherwise. I did lose the capability to get mouse-over info from country flags.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YaVerOt YaVerOt
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
Armchair warriors often fail, and we've been poisoned by these fairy tales.
badge
Aoi Aoi toki ga toke dasheta.
mbmbmbmbmb
On the downloading point, some files you need to be registered to download, some you need to be registered to not get a CACHPA, sometimes even when register you face a CACHPA (either because you're downloading too much to fast, or it is a really old file that hasn't been updated to current rules).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A small benefit is the ability to choose the name (even customise) of a game in your collection instead of the primary name (usually the current US edition). This means you can search on one name and BGG will return a game in the results but with the name of the version you have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Further to geekmail, you can set it to push to your normal email, and I think you can reply from your email back to the person on geekmail. I think. So you can receive messages when away from the site (or logged out). This includes automated messages, such as item merges.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Linda Baldwin
United States
White Plains
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EYE of NiGHT wrote:
A small benefit is the ability to choose the name (even customise) of a game in your collection instead of the primary name (usually the current US edition). This means you can search on one name and BGG will return a game in the results but with the name of the version you have.

This isn't always a good thing. I search now for Ingenious, and it comes up in Chinese!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron D
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
Mercury is my dog's name.
badge
I like hats.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are registered, you can also customize the front page. I like being able to see things displayed how I find them most useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Knock knock open up the door it's Riel
Netherlands
Tilburg
It's wurples all the way down.
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Clockmakers lie
mbmbmbmbmb
GeekQuestions. Admittedly, not many registered users use it either (join us! it's fun!), but it is a part of the site you can't use if you aren't logged in.

Once you register you also get a Quickbar, where there was only empty space before...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GeekQuestions is just awful. gulp

I never use the Quickbar and I do not understand how it works or why it is a benefit. Can you please explain a little for me?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mousey
Netherlands
Je suis Paris
flag msg tools
ESSEN The Game: SPIEL '13 Featuring Jonah
badge
RIP Jonah Lomu 1975-2015
mbmbmbmbmb
EYE of NiGHT wrote:
GeekQuestions is just awful. gulp

I never use the Quickbar and I do not understand how it works or why it is a benefit. Can you please explain a little for me?

Quickbar is like favorites to your most visited places,
Just press the + to add a quick-link to a place to visit often.
I like checking my geekbuddy activity so now it's just one click away.
Another quick-link I have it so the Tricks of the Geek to quickly lookup handy tricks.
Since there are 10 pages of quick links on the 4th page I have all information 4 giving away stuff (like secret Santa information) and there is another one for Essen links.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.