JohnnyC Waytobe
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
All of the Merc abilities that deal with timing read "at the start of a battle." What the heck does this mean? If you are allowed to allocate one hit on an opponent at the start of battle is this a pre-combat shot? Do they get to fire back? What if it's just your Merc fighting against the Mentak or someone with Assault Cannon - does the opponent have the potential to wipe out your merc (assuming he fails his evasion) before his ability goes off, or is it a pre-combat ability?

I'm of the opinion that "at the start of a battle" takes place AFTER pre-combat, but the group I'm playing with seems to disagree.

Thoughts? Arguments?

Thanks,
Johnny
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/666533/creuss-dimensional-sp...

This thread was for Creuss' Dimensional Splicer. It also uses "at the start of a battle" for it's trigger. Sigma (a very reliable, but not official source) said that was pre-combat.

Edit: If it is pre-combat, defender would choose order, so it might be that Assault Cannons etc don't get to fire.

If you want a fully definitive answer, send a rules question on "Are effects that state 'at the start of a battle' considered pre-combat effects?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damo
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
Look Up! Stay Alive!
badge
http://australianmuseum.net.au/Drop-Bear
mbmbmbmbmb
TomBoombs wrote:

If you want a fully definitive answer, send a rules question on "Are effects that state 'at the start of a battle' considered pre-combat effects?"

I'd be interested in an offical answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure what else it would be; the pre-combat stuff happens at the start of a battle, before you start resolving any combat rounds. The only other place I can see it referring to is the start of the first combat round, but there are other abilities that specifically refer to combat rounds in those cases.

It probably wouldn't hurt to get an official response, though honestly I can't see how it would be ruled any differently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JohnnyC Waytobe
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yes, since the Dimentional Splicer has the exact same "at the start of a battle" language and IS pre-combat, I've changed my mind and believe that Merc abilities ("at the start of a battle") are pre-combat too.

Also defender decides order of pre-combat, right?

Effectively the Merc that creates a new fighter, who is defending, could create that fighter AFTER AFB. Similarly, that player's fighter would be eligible for AFB if the Merc was attacking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyCwtb wrote:

Correct, though when resolving a particular "thing", all "things" of that type are resolved. IE, if he chooses to resolve Anti-Fighter Barrage, both players do that; he doesn't choose to do one player's then the others, but rather its simultaneous.

Same with Action Cards - he chooses when ACs are played, but doesn't break it down to individual ACs (partly because he doesn't know what will be played).

With Mercs, though, I would say each individual Merc is a separate entity, since they ARE known beforehand. ACs would probably work that way, too, if they were pre-known.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fedor Syagin
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
JohnnyCwtb wrote:

Same with Action Cards - he chooses when ACs are played, but doesn't break it down to individual ACs (partly because he doesn't know what will be played).

To make it more confusing if I remember correctly he does choose when they are played but those do not really get to be played at the same time, but rather played with lower initiative do it first.
Get's tricky when someone trying to put in "no cards can be played" while the other trying to actually get something in before... Hate whole Action Cards - announce first then resolve and order of initiative business. It doesn't matter so often that by the time it actually matter everyone already played it wrong.

Action card order in combat is confusing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
garfielder wrote:
sigmazero13 wrote:
JohnnyCwtb wrote:

To make it more confusing if I remember correctly he does choose when they are played but those do not really get to be played at the same time, but rather played with lower initiative do it first.
Get's tricky when someone trying to put in "no cards can be played" while the other trying to actually get something in before... Hate whole Action Cards - announce first then resolve and order of initiative business. It doesn't matter so often that by the time it actually matter everyone already played it wrong.

Action card order in combat is confusing.

True, that initiative order thing still applies, but the defender is the one who chooses "now is the time for Action cards" in general.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.