Popular Tags: [View All]
David "Brother" Eicher
United States
Lima
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am by no means an expert in this game, as evidenced by the fact that I have yet to win so much as the first mission.

My games tend to degenerate into excruciating and expensive firefights with enemies that I find impossible to dislodge. Is there a secret to routing enemies?

Admittedly, I may be playing a bit too conservatively. I often hesitate to send units onto an enemy occupied card, especially when a HMG is blasting away into the card with other units on other cards creating a crossfire.

Is sending your men into that kind of situation necessary to complete the clearing of a card? Is there some other way?

Any advice that anyone can give would be greatly appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
calpurnio pison

rafelbunyol
valencia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i smash enemy units with "incoming!". i send the FO (enemy unit is already spotted and firing to the unid triggered the PC). If the FO unit get a pending mission, that enemy unit will not attack because the "incoming!" marker is like smoke, and block its LOS. so, the FO is safe.

When enemy unit becomes LAT, then i send my troops to its card, and capture them.

i don't send troops to a card with good order enemy troops. it's my way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When the unit you're trying to dislodge is pinned, by all means get in close and start throwing grenades. Heavy weapons are -4, but a grenade is -5 and it's not so hard to get multiple grenades that stack up. Risk is minimal because a pinned unit can't get a return grenade attack.

Once an enemy is pinned, you have to try to keep him pinned.

You also have a 20-25% chance more or less of a pinned enemy simply running away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
calpurnio pison

rafelbunyol
valencia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Peter, why -5 for grenade and -4 for heavy weapons? i think they are -4 and -3, respectively.

am i missing some VOF modifier?

thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Taylor
United States
Unspecified
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
calpurnio1973 wrote:
i smash enemy units with "incoming!". i send the FO (enemy unit is already spotted and firing to the unid triggered the PC). If the FO unit get a pending mission, that enemy unit will not attack because the "incoming!" marker is like smoke, and block its LOS. so, the FO is safe.

When enemy unit becomes LAT, then i send my troops to its card, and capture them.

i don't send troops to a card with good order enemy troops. it's my way.

Yep. The American way is never to send a man before you've sent a lot of rounds. Big rounds, if possible. The US rifleman's job is to (1) find the enemy, (2) get his attention so they don't fire at the FO, and (3) round up the dazed survivors of the artillery strike (if any).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
calpurnio1973 wrote:
Peter, why -5 for grenade and -4 for heavy weapons? i think they are -4 and -3, respectively.

thanks

Oops. typing too fast there. Of course -4 for grenades and -3 for auto.

You know, even if I was using mortars or arty, I think I would cancel the artillery and move in once I have the pin; especially so if I have a pin and have reduced the enemy by a step or two, just to move things along more quickly. If you wait for the arty to completely make the card safe I think you'll be burning a lot of turns that are not very productive. Depends how much time pressure you're under and how many steps of inf each side has on/around that card.

The sequence of events I really like is:
o pin the enemy
o move onto his card; grenades
o he has a good chance of running away when it's time for his activity check and gets marked with an exposed; he also (I have just learned) stops a new enemy from appearing on his new card
o I get a nice free -2 on him, on his next card if he didn't move off the board
o he has also lost his foxhole/trench at this point and has to look for new cover.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
peterk1 wrote:
calpurnio1973 wrote:

thanks

Oops. typing too fast there. Of course -4 for grenades and -3 for auto.

-5 or -4 because you should also at the very least have crossfire as well!

And crossfire (or other VOF mods) still apply to arty, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Brother" Eicher
United States
Lima
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! Those suggestions help out a lot. Maybe I'm just not using all the tools in my box. Artillery barrages may be the answer to my predicament.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't get too much in Mission 1 - only 4 shots. I'd save those for the primary objective or the bunker if you're unfortunate enough to get one. Don't waste them on targets where the enemy is only getting +2 for card and cover.

In later missions you get more arty than you can use, so you can go nuts with it a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As Peter noted, pinned enemy units have a 20-25% chance of falling back. If there's a US unit also on the card, probability goes up to 40% for pinned units - so this is perhaps the best method to dislodge the enemy, especially vs. deliberate defense tactics. Be sure to use the Pinned/LAT activity charts for pinned enemy units, whether they are LATs or not!

A detached assault team can be useful for clearing an enemy position, if you have a command point to spare to create one. Line quality + A VOF. Disadvantages are that an assault team is more brittle than a squad (one step instead of three), and they can't fire onto the adjacent card if the enemy falls back (range is only "P").

Don't forget to Infiltrate, rather than simply move onto that enemy card. And use a cease fire pyro after advancing onto the enemy position, so your H VOF + crossfire doesn't hit your own guys. (Maybe obvious, but just in case... )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.