Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Timothy Marlorme
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Despite being relatively new to the game design world, I already find myself with a handful of one-or-twice playtested ideas that have been shelved for the moment. Perhaps forever. It's not that I don't like the ideas, it's just that I can't bring myself to pick them back up and fix their glaring errors for the moment.

I am led to understand that this is about as inevitable as death or taxes to the passionate game designer. With that in mind, care to share a shelved idea that you would like to come back to one day?

Here's mine:

Galactic Pioneers!
Kind of an Oregon Trail in space. Players each represent a spaceship and her crew heading out on the dangerous far-rim lanes to a recently charted earth-like world. Players draw hazard cards to play on others through hand-drafting. Players can either go fast (to win the race to the planet) or slow (to avoid hazards). Planets along the way can be landed on for resources, but beware of planetary hazards as well. VPs are doled out for the first to arrive, surviving crew, and other misc.

What's your beloved idea that's collecting dust?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Bettzieche
Germany
Ladenburg
Baden Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Postcard Dungeon Crawl

Gathering dust since two years due to severe lack of time
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herc du Preez
South Africa
Cape Town
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a notebook full of half formed games that will probably be cannibalized for ideas at a later date. But a complete game that I have only played once or twice?

It would have to be Crumb!: A family friendly ant game for 2-4 players. Available through the link as-is print and play.
Each player sends their workers out into the world to collect food (bring your own cubes). The food is used to grow more workers, soldiers and queens to help the nest get even more food. The player with the most food at the end of the game wins. But food is created by events chosen by the players and some event cards provide alternate victory conditions. For a more advanced game there are also elite ants that have their own special abilities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samantha RD
South Africa
Harrismith
Free State
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine would be a rather over-ambitious Aztec themed game in which you are a noble 'expanding the empire'. There was warfare, ritualised warfare, religion/politics,constructing temples and resource collection to deal with.

Overall, the game was very interesting (we tried to play-test it exactly once and gave up after four hours had elapsed ), but riddled with flaws. It may still find its way back to the light of day for an overhaul eventually though..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Mercer
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Aww Herc, you made me sad - I want crumb to LIVE!
Check out the sick cover we did:

My personal one would probably be Mr Toasty.

Originaly created to have a joke with Steve Wood (creator of gunship first strike) when we were both collectively annoyed at the inanity of the subject theme of some games.
Quote:

"Man, people need to come up with some better themes in games, we already have "goods transportation" and "being a working farmer", even "train route planner" - these all sound so boring! Man, this is rediculous, it's as if someone should just come up with a game about eating toast in the morning - you must find the right bread and then choose from an assortment of Jam Cards to find the perfect combo..."

SO ladies and gentlemen without further adue I present to you:

In fact there is a thread about it and everything!

It was going to be a euro style puzzle game "Zone Jammer" with "the cycling of jam" rules ^_^
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herc du Preez
South Africa
Cape Town
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I find the idea of a piece of toast, applying jam to itself, a bit ... disturbing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toco
Belgium
Oost-Vlaanderen
Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
designer
badge
www.tocoking.be/hotspot
mbmbmbmb
Well, my truly innovative miniature skirmish game is gathering dust for one year now. The gamesystem is diceless and priceless. Priceless because it is not tied to any manufacterer. You can use any of your 28mm miniatures. (Fantasy.) Oh yeah, no tokens nor other templates, because I hate them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Goodall
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My first game ideas started as themes that my boys would want to play. The trouble I have is that a new idea comes along and leaves the previous one on the shelf.

Some that made it the farthest from oldest to newest (the later ones occasionally get new ideas scribbled down):

Flies - Frog Food
Frogs moving/leaping around a pond trying to catch flies (whose movement could be somewhat determined by a track.

Bone yard
Dogs burying bones (and junk) in the yard then later having to dig them up. Memory element and mess with opponents burials.

Mad Hatter's Tea Party
Putting milk or tea in cups (which move about), trying to make good cups of tea (i.e. not too milky or milkless).

Mining on Ceres
Worker placement. Collecting domino like pieces to put on a grid in a puzzle-like way.

Ghost Grid
Players are children dared to run around a haunted house. Ghosts in the house move between the windows using tiles like Tsuro, scaring the players as they pass. Players could switch and rotate tiles to adjust the ghost movement.

Hamster Bomb Squad
Players trying to defuse bombs that get passed around. Whether you defuse or the bomb goes off depends on the rolls of the dice that build up or reduce on the bombs. Hamster theme added to lighten it up.

Race across the Galaxy
Err...race game in space. Random map, hazards (pirates, solar flares, etc). Key mechanism: 'deck building' type fuel/engine management.
Sounds a bit similar to yours.

Scavengers - Dogs, Cats and Rats
Players moving said animals around a town scavenging for food from the bins of various shops/restaurants. More dice (the boys like rolling dice)

Latest idea only recently brain-dumped in to Google Docs:

Town Defence - "Party" Game
Fast paced (timer involved) resource building to defend against attacking fantasy horde with individual player roles and card drafting.

I'm always willing to pass more details on to any interested party or co-design (probably the only way these ideas will ever reach possible publication).

Edit: spelling
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Mercer
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Robin, start up a WIP thread about Town Defence - that sounds cool, i'd like to know more

sam
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hutchings
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On behalf of the majority of people here:

"I have an unfinished dungeon crawl game..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samantha RD
South Africa
Harrismith
Free State
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Avianfoo wrote:
I find the idea of a piece of toast, applying jam to itself, a bit ... disturbing.

Only if it cries when you start eating it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herc du Preez
South Africa
Cape Town
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sica wrote:
Avianfoo wrote:

Only if it cries when you start eating it

*munch* *munch* *munch* Where is that quiet sobbing coming from? *munch* *munch* *munch*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chevee Dodd
United States
Fairmont
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's two that I really want to get back too:

Vic Venture - solitaire, dice based, "action" game. It is actually fine the way it is, I just need to get art done to make it available as a Print and Play... and I'd like to tweak it some.

Sock Monster - this game was actually good. Like, my friends request it. I just haven't worked on it and I need too. It needed some modifications, but has been sitting for 3 years or so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Goodall
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cogentesque wrote:
Robin, start up a WIP thread about Town Defence - that sounds cool, i'd like to know more
I'll try and get some more of the fuzzy stuff in my head down on 'paper' then may well pluck up the courage to start a WIP thread. gulp
There's always been a voice in the back of my head saying, "no one wants to know about your crazy ideas"...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samantha RD
South Africa
Harrismith
Free State
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
firewizard wrote:

There's always been a voice in the back of my head saying, "no one wants to know about your crazy ideas"...

Don't listen to it. It everyone listened to that voice the world would be an exceedingly boring place whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Mercer
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
I agree with Sam (as I usually do cos she's pro) in that we would all love to hear about your stuff man, that's why us lot inhabit the Game Dev threads here in BGG

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Scott
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Avianfoo wrote:

It puts the jelly on its skin ... It puts the jelly in the basket ...

devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Catron
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A few of my games that made it to a few plays but then were relegated to the graveyard are:

BESIEGED: a card based game of medieval siege warfare. Players vie for the throne by attacking opponent's castles while defending and fortifying their own. Players also must sway the late King's court to support their cause. Here's a pic: http://www.bgdf.com/node/3882

RALLY CARdS: a rally racing card game with a variable hand size/speed mechanic. Needs more work. https://www.thegamecrafter.com/games/rally-cards

TRANQUILITY: players must create "balanced" koi ponds of equal yin (sun) and yang (moon)cards. A bit too complex and fiddly for what it is. Needs simplification. https://www.thegamecrafter.com/games/tranquility
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Mestdagh
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
apeloverage wrote:
On behalf of the majority of people here:

"I have an unfinished dungeon crawl game..."

How about "I have an almost finished dungeon crawl".

(Actually, I do. It is for the summer solitaire print and play contest.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Nyberg
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam, that toast spreading jam on itself is really funny.

I had a time-travel game where players start in the year 3000 and have to collect pieces of time machines to make it back to the 21st century. They were to be pursued by time police who strictly regulated time travel.

It was a roll-and-move game, though. The eras you traveled to were smaller loops until the smallest loop in the middle, which was the 21st century.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Van Horn
United States
Othello
Washington
flag msg tools
I admit it, I killed her, I killed Yvette. I hated her so much
badge
Flames...flames on the side of my face...breathing...breathle...heaving breathes
mbmbmbmbmb
Too many to count.

Kingpins of Coyote Canyon...4 families building up vital services of their old western town trying to become the most influential citizen. Action Point system to search for, collect, and use supplies. Playtested 2 or 3 times...ostensibly it works...has balance issues. havent' touched it since my youngest was born.

Never Named Game about marrying princesses of kingdoms without a male heir. 30 minutes or so, card drafting simultaneous decisions...flawed as is, I think it has promise but could never get over the hump, unfortunately other ideas monopolize my time now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Pinchback
United States
Leonard
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Our turn of the century New York city style area control game "Mob City" because Tammmanannammany Hall just punched it right in the face. KO'd. For now. I'd never heard of this game until I saw the bannr add, then I was like, "Ok, moving onto the next design....." I'm off to buy Tamamananaamany Hall. It looks awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
I also purchased this and do not know what to do with it!
badge
I purchased this and do not know what to do with it!
mbmbmbmbmb
Well this looks like fun, let's see what's in the ol "Retired Designs" folder (that I might rename "Design Graveyard").

Alchemy: A game where you try to run a potion shop. You had to buy herbs, or seeds and grow herbs, hire apprenticies from the local academy and try your hardest to turn a profit by having the right potions in stock to attract the current customers visiting the village. As a bonus you could play your potions against other players to make them cry. Never really got any of those moving parts balanced.

Asylum: A game briefly mentioned elsewhere on these forums. Cooperative game where players tried to escape The Asylum before they went insane. If a player went insane they joined the Asylum and became a stronger monster that walks its walls (stronger because it's player controlled!) and tried to prevent their former teammates escape. I don't know why I stopped working on it, the basic system was pretty ok.

Balloon Race: A desperate effort to make a game with the cutest art ever from the Art & Game contest. I couldn't get it to be strategic though, it was a 10 minute game where only the absolutely last turn mattered.

CaptainZ! Pirates fight. Pick two weapons and slug it out. Abandoned to design Rise of Rebels (which got 2nd in the A&G contest, files are pending).

Splat! Paints Wars: Tetris Attack the board game. Taught me about dice and how not to use them.

I honestly thought I had more than that... Those of course are just the games I ever bothered to make components for! This has been helpful though, a good venting process. And I think, once Spell Thief and Bionic (and Solar Smiths, Oh yes I haven't forgotten!) are under my belt, I may bring back Asylum and see if my new Googles of Design Experience +1 can help me make it into the great game I know it can be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gladen Blackshield
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
Millionaire!
Players open up their own business and make business decisions at startup. Depending upon those decisions certain events happen that affect their profits. The first player to 1,000,000 wins.
I created a working computer game based on the idea and started the card game design, but the entire thing got mothballed as the table-top RPG I created picked up steam.
Later, it seemed just too bland for me to persue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Rocchi
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer

Houses of Westeros

I jokingly called it Game of Thrones: Express, but Houses of Westeros was a dice game of power and political intrigue. Players weren't necessarily any one House, but could roll and compete to represent certain families each turn. Players would get a House token for the House they championed each turn.

Characters cards were turned up each turn and bid on, which gave you benefits in the game; i.e. affecting cards, money or dice. Certain events drove the fortunes of each House up or down a Fate track, kind of a stock market. Players scored points for the value of each House at the end of the game times the number of House tokens for each House.

While I decided to abandon it due to licensing fears and other problems in the game, I am looking at retheming it to factions within the Byzantine Empire.

However, the dice did look pretty cool..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.