Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin Gortner
United States
Egg Harbor Township
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So,

I've been thinking about getting the miniatures for the investigators (easy) and monster (question here).

I'll be playing at Origins in a few days but wanted to ask ahead anyhow, mostly becuase I'm just excited: let's say I buy the wave 1 monster set. Doesn't that only cover me for 1 monster? Should multiple monsters come out during game play I would only have 1 miniature, correct? Or are the rules / game play such that each monster only appears once / in one spot on the game board?

Thanks!

J
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A boy named Sioux
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
This should help: http://www.arkhamhorrorwiki.com/Monster
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Gortner
United States
Egg Harbor Township
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks.

It looks like there are multiple monsters of each in some cases. So for others reading, purchasing a "complete" set will *not* yield you all the monsters you might need if multiples pop up at the same time.

Unless I am missing something, that's slightly dissapointing.

J

Siouxfire wrote:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the bear
Belgium
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yeah, i'm suprised people actualy buy these. some are pretty though, but hugely unpractical. to have everything covered, you should need a kazillion miniatures, and it gets really crowed, cause i've had times where there are 4 monsters on the same spot. and they're really expensive.
advice: don't get them, unless you wan't to display them in your little lovecraft room in your house.

advice: it's been suggested to only get the dunwich horror, he's pretty impressive, you only need one, and comes up regularly if you play with the expansion (don't get it if you don't have that expansion, or do, and then sell it to me for half the price cause it's useless to you)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Grouch
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems to me that - given size of board - FFG should've gone 15 mm scale instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Gortner
United States
Egg Harbor Township
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All great advice.

Thanks for your input everyone! Looks like it's a pass, at least on the set of monsters, save one or two special ones.

Still might get the investigators however if I'm crazy about the game.

J
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I had the money (and I don't) I'd perhaps buy the unique Monsters, I know the Dunwich Horror as has been suggested already, but I'd add all the Mask Monsters. Of the around 80 unique Monster types about half of them only have one in the Monster Cup. Of course, probability says that you'll need these less often than the high frequency Monsters (e.g. Cultists, which are are just over 5% of all Monsters). You have to choose between spending your money on getting the most use from the figure or having figures for the most impact.

Some of the monsters are just your bog-standard monster fare (Zombies, Mummies, Ghouls, Ghasts, Werewolves, Skeletons, Warlocks, Wraith, Ghost, Vampires, even Cultists) and you could get a much cheaper option elsewhere (maybe even pre-painted if you are prepared to look at second-hand)

I have to agree with thebearthatwasnt, that your biggest problem is going to be room on the board - especially if you play with a large group. The number of times my group suffers a Monster Surge when there are only one or two Gates on the board - with 5-7 Investigators that's a massive stack of Monsters just using chits, unworkable with figures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I get the feeling that the toy collectors (who have a huge overlap with boardgamers, hobby-wise) are really the target audience for the monsters. People who are collecting them more as toys than as game pieces don't really care about practicality in play, and that's cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bolton
England
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
nothing to see here, move along
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Investiagors are worth it, as they actually work with the game.

I've got 1 set of monsters, as examples that I occasionally place on the board, but have resisted getting all that would be needed for all the reasons previously stated.

They are good for significant events like the arrival of the Dunwich Horror.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Martin
United States
Lacey
WA
flag msg tools
Check out my Hollenguard book series on Amazon!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are crafty and can paint, you can always pick up Mansions of Madness. It has quite a few cultists, zombies, a couple maniacs and witches... they can cover a lot of your high frequency monster needs.

The nice thing is, they come with bases that fit the Arkham monster tokens perfectly. And I happen to love that game anyway. Win win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex N
United States
Metuchen
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bill_andel wrote:
Seems to me that - given size of board - FFG should've gone 15 mm scale instead.

What scale are they then? 25mm?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.