BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Game suggestions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dirty D
Canada
flag msg tools
Hello,

I love pandemic. Everything about it. And Id like to get another game but I'm having a hard problem deciding. I've played puerto Rico and it was fun. But it was a little complex in relation to calculating points as well as all the rules.

My question: can you suggest a game that is simple like pandemic and just as fun? I'm not looking for another cooperative. And if it's a game that tallies points at the end. I'd prefer one where calculating points is simple.

Thanks!

Edit: I own catan already

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawcomic
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
The stuff that dreams are made of...
mbmbmbmbmb
Ticket to Ride
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan James
United States
Commerce Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
Professor, isn't it time for your nap?
badge
YES, DAMMIT!
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 TTR

Also Carcassonne is always a good choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Gibbons
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
mb
Consider Small World. I know it's kind of polarizing around here, but it's a very fun game, especially with the right group. About the same weight as Pandemic as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1:

Carcassonne
Ticket to Ride
Small World

There's always Donimion, even though I personally don't find it any fun, it's very popular for people in your situation.

Also, be sure to check out some card games like Citadels, Bohnanza, Coloretto, and Jaipur.

Lastly, if you're *okay* with another cooperative game, Forbidden Island plays very similarly to Pandemic. Or there's Flash Point: Fire Rescue, which is also a lot of fun.

Hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jamelli
United States
Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stone Age
Vegas Showdown (if you can find it)
Lords of Vegas (staying with the vegas theme)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirty D
Canada
flag msg tools
Thanks for the help!

Small Wonder seems interesting.

I currently have a borrowed copy of Carcasonne so maybe I'll try that this weekend.

I only play about once a month(unfortunately) its for this reason that I'm looking for a game that is fair simple. Like pandemic

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Roy
United Kingdom
Sutton
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sigtaulefty wrote:

There's a lot of adding up points at the end of Stone Age. More than in Puerto Rico.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirty D
Canada
flag msg tools
I wasn't a big fan of stone age. The instructions were terrible and ya. Lots of adding up

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirty D
Canada
flag msg tools
Evil Roy wrote:
sigtaulefty wrote:

There's a lot of adding up points at the end of Stone Age. More than in Puerto Rico.

Is there a lot of adding in agricola? Is agricola a easy game to get into. Part if the issue is I have to make sure my wife is entertained

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Steward
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Fretboard Gamer
badge
p/g
mbmbmbmbmb
DSprague wrote:
Evil Roy wrote:
sigtaulefty wrote:

Is there a lot of adding in agricola? Is agricola a easy game to get into. Part if the issue is I have to make sure my wife is entertained

Lots of adding, yes. Easy to get into, no. Entertaining, definitely, but it'll take some effort to get there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Gibbons
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
mb
DSprague wrote:
Evil Roy wrote:
sigtaulefty wrote:

There is adding at the end of the game, but it's easy. And I think Agricola is easier to get into than a lot of people will tell you. I think the rules and game play are very intuitive. The complexity of the game comes out mostly in the strategy, particularly with the cards, in my opinion. It is an amazing game, though. Plus, the farm building theme seems to go over well with wives/girlfriends. Definitely recommended if you feel up for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ICONOCLAST

Galt's Gultch
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Power Grid
Dominion
7 Wonders though scoring is a little involved

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Speicherstadt

+1 Dominion

If PR's point calculations were too much for you, you should probably stay away from Stone Age, Agricola, and Carcassonne.

EDIT: FWIW, I think you should play PR a couple more times before giving up on it. I remember the first time I played and taught it. It seemed very rules heavy and all involved felt the same way. After we played it our second and third time, it was like a different game. The rules faded into the background, we cut our play time in half, and nobody was thinking about rules--only strategies.

That's my advice.

Good luck and have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DigitalMan wrote:
DSprague wrote:
Evil Roy wrote:
sigtaulefty wrote:

Lots of adding, yes. Easy to get into, no. Entertaining, definitely, but it'll take some effort to get there.

It does at least come with a family version that's built in to make things easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.