Subject: Werewolf vs. Resistance PBF rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
Finished my first werewolf game here on the forums. Hi #12. I was unable to convince the hunter not to shoot me and we lost. This took less than a week to do.

So, yeah, Resistance takes too long. I now understand the original structure of having solid deadlines - I think people were trying to make it more like the werewolf community here, but with the public voting vs. the private voting, and needing a vote from all players, it's really a different model.

Somewhere between 'no deadline' and 'solid deadline' has to be a happy medium, and I would like to find it.

My idea is to have a set period after the proposal during which the arguing happens. Vote deadline after that period. At that time, no posting until the votes are all in.

Same for proposals... have a proposal deadline, and when we hit that deadline, no posting until the proposal comes through.

I think we need to work to avoid the endless thinking that seems to occur sometimes, while forcing the players to play within a more reasonable timeframe. The way the game is taking forever is actually very stressful for the Rebel players and boring for the Spies.

Please weigh in - is it broke and needing fixed, or is it fine the way it is?

Note I don't say how long those deadlines should be... just that they should be there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
And the fact that some of those early Resistance games were run by BGG Werewolfers... so it explains the similarities. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
Those would be the mentioned 'people'. Hey, you go with what you know, right? Of course, when you could be lynched you show up to the thread. When there's no real threat, you hang back, check once a day... never post... forget to vote... heh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth BK
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jythier wrote:
Those would be the mentioned 'people'. Hey, you go with what you know, right? Of course, when you could be lynched you show up to the thread. When there's no real threat, you hang back, check once a day... never post... forget to vote... heh.

I'd be ok with deadlines, provided they were relaxed over the weekend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bkarrigan wrote:
Jythier wrote:

Who's your avatar now?

Agreed, and that's how WW does it as well. And that's how I always ran my games back when I was trying to enforce a deadline (ha!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth BK
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jythier wrote:
bkarrigan wrote:
Jythier wrote:

Who's your avatar now?

Agreed, and that's how WW does it as well. And that's how I always ran my games back when I was trying to enforce a deadline (ha!)

You have to follow pbf21. Its 'The Thing/Alien' themed, and I'm the pilot (Mac)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh...

I'm glad you're all getting into it!

I just can't... read it... with Clyde doing whatever it is that Clyde is doing. So I don't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Jythier wrote:
Oh...

I just can't... read it... with Clyde doing whatever it is that Clyde is doing. So I don't.
Sorry Jyth! Wish you could, I could use some help right about now ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
Jythier wrote:
Oh...

Sorry Jyth! Wish you could, I could use some help right about now ...

Fail the mission.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh is that all I need to do?!?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose you need to get on the mission first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Heh, that's the one thing I don't need help with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't know! Hey, we've ruined my thread. That's why I posted a new thread instead of the signup thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Back on topic - I thought that "Werewolf vs. Resistance PBF" was going to be some sort of awesome online-only meld of the two games. Yes! I'll play that!

Wait, that wasn't on topic...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Jythier wrote:

But yeah, werewolf as a social game kind of self-corrects for non-social pieces by removing them from the game. PBF Resistance makes that tougher. If everyone's quiet, spies have an easy time. On the WW side, we have done games specifically where not-enough-posting had some kind of negative effect. Can't think of any way off hand to incorporate that into Resistance, but tossing the thought out there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can't kill rebels, there aren't enough of them.

How about taking Werewolf's voting system, except vote for several people to go on the mission with you, and whoever gets the most votes goes? Now we've got a hybrid!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Jythier wrote:
You can't kill rebels, there aren't enough of them.

How about taking Werewolf's voting system, except vote for several people to go on the mission with you, and whoever gets the most votes goes? Now we've got a hybrid!
Hmm! This is an interesting variant. I thought you didn't like variants, Jyth?

I think the main problem with this is the spies would always vote each other onto missions. But that would remove a common convention for spies when they have two+ spies on the mission, I suppose...I'd be up for it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be interesting and probably broken. I don't like variants. But this is a hybrid, which is different than a variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
I mean theoretically, one could argue Resistance is simply a Mafia/Werewolf variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
5 player game, for a two person mission, everybody gets two votes, and has to put them on different people. So it's like getting 5 proposals at once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
I mean theoretically, one could argue Resistance is simply a Mafia/Werewolf variant.

Nope. Mafia and Werewolf are completely different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I'd be up for playing and/or modding a game like that actually.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jythier wrote:
5 player game, for a two person mission, everybody gets two votes, and has to put them on different people. So it's like getting 5 proposals at once.

Different from each vote, not different from themself, to clarify. So you can vote yourself and one other person, or two other people, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder if Cassie could track multiple votes?

Public votes, or private?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PeteVasi wrote:
Back on topic - I thought that "Werewolf vs. Resistance PBF" was going to be some sort of awesome online-only meld of the two games. Yes! I'll play that!

Wait, that wasn't on topic...

Pete, you in?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.