Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Hough
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure if it helps you out any as I'm sure the rules have changed somewhat, but here are the links to the alpha test rules.

http://www.beastsofwar.com/sci-fi-wargaming/downloadable-map...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Gelb
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
this game looks super sweet. 50 minis!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Marquez
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
HOLY CRAP!! I thought that these kind of games were dead. This looks like a bloody good time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike McVey
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
We'll be previewing game play soon (probably on the Kickstarter page). We did have an alpha version of the rules on our forums, but we took them down as we got nearer to publication and they didn't really represent the final version.

I'll be happy your answer any question you have though.

cheers!

mike mcvey

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/coolminiornot/sedition-w...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Platt
United Kingdom
Duston
Northamptonshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Firstly, I am both a kickstarter of Zombicide and Sedition Wars.

Secondly, the decision not to put our rules for Zombicide appears to have not affected the success of the game, or my decision to back the project. Personally, this is because I have pegged the game as a fun, party-esque hordes of zombie co-op that, even if the missions are overly simple or too hard for my group, can easily be modified or house-ruled to get the gameplay experience I am looking for.

With Sedition Wars, however, I see a more serious, tactical and most importantly - competitive game for 2 players with seemingly asymetrical forces. I'm thinking Space Hulk, as was the designer seemingly ;) , or Bloodbowl levels of tactical play.

It is, I believe, of paramount importance that the full rules for this game are released during the kickstarter period to allow players such as myself to make an educated view as to whether this is the game I want to invest considerable funds and time into supporting.

Now, a video that explains the flow of the game will be helpful. I also understand a reluctance to release the rules, have some spotty oik decide they are 'broken' and shout about it across the interwebs.

Ultimately, however, with a game of this (hopeful) tactical and strategic depth, I really feel it is to the benefit of the project for this information to be out there.

Sorry for the waffle. Thanks and Good Luck!

BSF
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry
United States
Elkridge
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Living the Dream!
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't really need the full rules in order to back a project. I doubt I'd have time to read them anyway. A video of gameplay, such as the one done for Zombicide is what I would like to see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike McVey
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi Stuart

Thanks for your interest.

I completely understand your reluctance to back something without either a view of the rules or some reviews of how the game plays. You are obviously not going to get any reviews yet, as it's unpublished, and I'm really sorry to say we are not going to be able to publish the full rule set at this stage.

Let me explain why.

The way we have the flow of the rules in the book, and that fact that a lot of the rules for the character are on the cards - would mean that we would have to publish everything we have. There are two reason why this isn't going to work - the first is, we are still working on the book and cards as I type (the graphics and layout guy was working until 5am this morning, and I started at 6am). They are in final form, but in no fit state for the public to see. The only way we could show them would be to publish the final version of the book and all the cards - and there is just no way we are going to do that I'm afraid. The second reason is just as you say - we would open ourselves to the sort of person who would make it their mission to break the rules before the game even comes out, and that would be the kiss of death.

We're honestly not trying to pull a fast one here. We have been developing the rules for quite some time now - I demoed an early version at GenCon last year and had a great deal of fun doing it. We had alpha versions of the rules and cards online until about a month ago - so it's not like we have ever tried to hide anything.

We really believe we have a solid (I should say fun and exciting!) game here. Will their be some faults? I'm sure there's bound to be - if I said our game was going to be perfect, people would laugh at us, but we have done everything we can to ensure it plays well and is fun and rewarding experience with either faction (and they both play completely differently).

I'll get Rob Baxter (who's the game designer) to come on this thread and make himself available to answer specific questions too.

I know it's a bit of a leap of faith for some people, but we hope you see enough you like to take that chance.

Like I said before, we will be publishing a game play video at some stage soon - we just need to find the time!

cheers

mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Baxter
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
Heya,

Rob Baxter here, game designer for Sedition Wars. Like Mike says, we're not going to do a full drop of the rules, but I can answer questions about them. Ask away.

Wanna know flow? Go ahead.
Tactical depth? Sure thing.
Super complex. Not at all, the rules are designed for streamlined play. There are a few status tokens and markers, some resource tracking, and distribution. But for the most part the game was intended to be a lighter "spooky monsters vs marines" style game.

As you might have guessed already .

We rely on character card bound abilities to lend depth. The core rules themselves are fairly simple tactical rules relying on movement attributes, grid based play, and line of sight.

Really straightforward stuff. If you've played a minis game before, this'll take maybe twenty minutes from open box to first scenario.

Robbo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Webster
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Rob and Mike,

Can a model draw line of sight to an entire unit if a single model is out of cover?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Baxter
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
Good question Gregory,

The simple answer is no. It's a skirmish system, so los (vector) is from one model to another individual model, we don't have squads or units.

Rob.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Webster
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great to hear! Will we be getting a preview of the rules anytime soon?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike McVey
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hopefully soon - we just need to find the time to put a video together, things have been quite busy...

I'll try and get a definitive answer on that soon.

mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claude Galarneau
Canada
Trois-Rivieres
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The tiles we see on the promo picture... are they final. I'm not sure I really like the design, is it work in progress?

Thanks
Claude
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Platt
United Kingdom
Duston
Northamptonshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Studio McVey wrote:

We're honestly not trying to pull a fast one here.

I know it's a bit of a leap of faith for some people, but we hope you see enough you like to take that chance.

I don't think you are trying to pull a fast one. It's just a difficult decision with so little information.

I understand your reasons for not unleashing the ruleset to the general public, but many successful games on kickstarter have offered print and play, full rules downloads etc. for their projects prior to release and, if anything, they have furthered interest.

I, for one, backed Tahiti after a good read of their ruleset.

I do think a gameplay video would help, but ultimately (for me) a Universal Head style rules summary - providing an idea of game flow, interaction and tactical decsions that can be made during both your and your opponents activations etc. would be a minimum requirement to give me confidence.

I'm not looking for a complete document to pick holes in, just a summary that gives me a feeling for the sort of game you are asking me to buy (in advance)

I know you are busy people, but I think this would enable skeptics amongst the BGG community to open their pocketbooks for your exciting looking project.

Thanks

BSF
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Baxter
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
Hey Stuart,

I've made myself available to answer direct rules related questions. Ask away. I'll answer with complete transparency regarding the rules.

Rob.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Webster
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are most of the relevant questions I can think of:
1) how many stats does each model have?
2) Is it I move, you move?
3) Do most models die of a single hit?
4) Can you lay out turn order?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Baxter
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
Hey Greg,

The answers to these questions will lead to a relatively long post, so I'm going to do it in a few hours. I will reply though .

Cheers,

Rob.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Tresman
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks interesting but it wont be on my radar until a basic overview of rules available , even if it still needs tweeking.

If I invest then I have to invest a lot of time in painting as well.

It concerns me that an earlier rule set has been withdrawn.

Complete transparency would be downloadable rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How does this compare to Earth Reborn or Claustrophobia?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
Style Over Substance
badge
"In loving memory of Mariel."
mb
Claustrophobia is a game that uses minis, but I do not consider it a "tabletop miniatures game" in the same sense as, say, Warhammer 40k--as opposed to the D&D mass.

Earth Reborn comes closer to this "tabletop miniatures game" idea, but I don't think it ever leaves behind the "boardgame sensibility" due to the expression of all its modularity, from tiles to cards and etc.

From what we've been shown of the components of Sedition Wars, and knowing what we do about the creators, I would say that Sedition Wars is probably the closest to a "tabletop miniatures game" sense that a boardgame is going to get. I get the impression from reading all the back posts to the blogs, that this could have very easily BEEN a tabletop minia game, but the creators decided to go in this direction. Also, I imagine from looking at the tiles that the feel of this has that kind of movie-set/"tabletop miniatures" game feel to it. I could very easily see building up 3D tables for SW.

The final rules will tell, though. I just hope they're clean of baroque(n) math.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
Style Over Substance
badge
"In loving memory of Mariel."
mb
asgelb wrote:
this game looks super sweet. 50 minis!

And THIS just makes this game a STEAL at $100--and we're very likely to get MORE. This definitely is a boardgame price point rather than a "tabletop miniatures" pricepoint!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike McVey
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
The tiles on the promo picture are not final. I just posted on the Studio McVey Blog about the tiles yesterday -

http://studiomcvey.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/battle-for-alabast...

cheers

mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Baxter
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
Hi Jacob,

I have played neither game, so I have no frame of reference. At a glance, they all have miniatures, boards, and what looks like "close encounter" rules-sets.

Cheers,
Rob.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Baxter
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
Hiya Greg,

okay, I'll answer in sequence to your questions:

1) how many stats does each model have?

All models have a

Force Cost - how much it costs to field the model
Mobility - movement attribute
Defense - armor class basically
Wounds - you guessed it, hit points

Most models will also have attacks with the following stats

Mod - bonus for rolls to hit
Range - short, medium, long, fairly standard
Damage/Staging - the base damage the weapon does, and bonus damage you get for awesome rolls.

2) Is it I move, you move?

Each Game Round is split with both players taking turns in one of two modes, Active, and Reflex mode.

The Active mode force can carry out force management and model activation.

The force in Reflex mode can use certain abilities as a response to actions the Active force’s models might take.

Once an Active force has ended its turn, it switches modes with the other force and the waiting force in Reflex mode becomes Active.

Once both forces have taken turns in Active mode, the round ends.

The next round begins with one players force starting off in Active mode.

3) Do most models die of a single hit?

Not really. Most models can take some punishment. However if an attacker rolls really well, they can single shot an enemy model. Tougher models have ways of dealing with this.

4) Can you lay out turn order?

It's a bit like this:

Player 1 - active mode
Force management phase (resource management, etc.)
Activation - attack, abilities, movement
End
Player 2 - reflex mode
Reflex mode - use Reflex Abilities when triggers or conditions are met

Player 2 - active mode
Force management phase (resource management, etc.)
Activation
End
Player 1 - reflex mode
Reflex mode - use Reflex Abilities when triggers or conditions are met

Turn ends, new turn.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Cheers,
Rob.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [11] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.