Subject: How to start building a deck? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ingo Griebsch
Germany
Bochum
North Rhine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
Coding Architect | Husband and father | Boardgame addict | Loves Clutch as well as Tricky
badge
Coding Architect | Husband and father | Boardgame addict | Loves Clutch as well as Tricky
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

given is a starter deck and 4 booster packs...

- Is this a good starting point to build a deck for the runner and one for the corp?

- Are cards included for the runner and the corp in one booster pack?

- Will I include all matching cards from all booster packs to each deck or must I follow some rules (and if there do I find them)?

- How can I guarantee that the decks are somewhat balanced?

- Are there some predefined decks available which I can build for myself if I have the cards available?

Any hints and tips are welcome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bier Fuizl
Germany
flag msg tools
Corp decks are usually easier to build for beginners. I usually start out with the agendas. For a 45 card deck (which you should aim for) you'll need 18 agenda points. Then add pretty much all bit gaining cards that you have. Try to add around 15 pieces of ice. Sprinkle with assorted nodes/operations/upgrades.

That's my normal routine for sealed deck play anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bier Fuizl
Germany
flag msg tools
Second step, the runner. Start with the bit gainers. Add them all. Anything that helps boost your rate above 1 bit/action will help. Add three of each type of ice breaker. This will be your basic kit. Then fill up to 45 cards with other cards you like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Deck building rules should be in the rules sheet in the starter.

Though you CAN just mix all the purples together, the Corp side has to do an agenda check to make sure that the deck size is no more than (Total Agenda/2 *5). So if you have 20 agenda points, your maximum deck size is 50. 21 agenda points is also maximum deck size of 50... 22 agenda would allow up to 55.

18-19: 45
20-21: 50
22-23: 55
etc...

---

The Runner probably doesn't want deck bloat though mixing all the greens together will give you an idea of what you have, just expect to trim it down over time.

If you have 2 sealed starter packs, consider each person getting 1 starter (2 decks) +2 boosters, and making legal decks from them --- then play against each other... You'll have 2 runner and 2 corp decks that have a chance of fitting back into their boxes that you can play around with for a while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christophe Chazarein
France
Toulouse
flag msg tools
d0gb0t wrote:
- Is this a good starting point to build a deck for the runner and one for the corp?

Actually, you have to!

d0gb0t wrote:
- Are cards included for the runner and the corp in one booster pack?

Sure. 7 for one side, 8 for the other.

d0gb0t wrote:
- How can I guarantee that the decks are somewhat balanced?

Usualy they are not too unbalanced

d0gb0t wrote:
- Are there some predefined decks available which I can build for myself if I have the cards available?

Try the "Kit Bashing" decks. They are mostly made from common cards!
http://www.darkpact.de/netrunner/variants/kitBashing.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hague
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
RAWKET LAWNCHA!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always found the best approach to building a deck is to simply take a card and then place another card on it. I then repeat this process until there is a 'pile' (technical term 'deck' or 'pack').

I'm not helping, am I? blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingo Griebsch
Germany
Bochum
North Rhine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AdrianPHague wrote:
I'm not helping, am I? blush

Not really, but it's ok!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingo Griebsch
Germany
Bochum
North Rhine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Many thanks so far for the answers!

One little question before I get deeper into all the answers: Are 4 booster packs enough (or maybe too much) for a beginner who want to try the game and makes his first steps in building his own deck(s)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver
United States
Pompano Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was assuming i could just pull out my starter deck and play? Is it really important to cut down to 45? Or to mess around at all for that matter?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mat Nowak
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would just leave the starter decks as is and play them against each other first to get a feel for the game and the strategy, and then start tinkering once you know what the strengths and weaknesses of your given deck are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In a casual atmosphere, just mixing in the cards is fine, provided the Corp has enough Agenda to cover the deck size.

After a game or two, you'll find there are cards you're always wishing you didn't have, and you'll trim down - again, just keep the deck size rules in mind.

Then, add a booster or two. If two people are playing off one pair of deck, then just split the cards by green/purple. If two people are playing with their own starters, then keep your own booster.

Add, mix, reduce...

1 starter and a few boosters is fine with this format, and I suspect it will mirror the LCG experience pretty well.

I still have a few starters that have never been mucked with beyond their starter+booster allocations -- and I let folks trim them down within that pool for learning to play the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Exceptio probat regulam
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I wouldn't play with the decks from the original "green box" starters without a little modification.

I don't have any originals left, but IIRC runner has too many breakers, and Corp has too many agendas and the cost of the Ice is skewed a little (slightly too expensive) if you use everything in the box.

There will also be some "theme" cards that need to be mostly in or all out of the decks (like Tag and Bag cards for Corp).

You can't go wrong by just following the suggestions above (e.g. from bierfuizl, byronczimmer, and the darkpact link from lechaz)

Definitely don't try to "over-tune" your decks. Netrunner plays better with a relatively small card pool, and low-powered decks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I still have sealed starters, and starters I have never mixed into the card pool.

When I pop these, for the first game, we play 'out of the box'. The Corp has waaay too much agenda and the Runner has cards they won't need, but that's okay, the point is to learn how things work.

After each side has played with those decks once, I let the learner pick which side they want to try again and we trim a bit.

Corp: trim down the Agenda, dumping a few to get them down to (usually) a 55 card deck. If they have other cards they want to dispose of, then they'll get down to 50 cards. Most of the 10 yanked cards are going to be Agenda, and provided they have 20-21 points of Agenda in there, that's fine.

Runner: A bit trickier, but if you have redundancy (too many base links, too many tag removers, too many of a particular kind of ICE breaker) then those are the places to target. I tend to recommend that bit and action generators of any kind remain in the deck, along with any finder cards that let you search (especially now that the player has a much better idea of how to play and what's in that deck). Some trim examples are if there are no stealth cards, the noisy wall breakers are more palatable than if you had a few stealthy capabilities. If you don't have a lot of utility programs, extra memory chips may not be that useful, and so one. Runner can yank up to 15 cards out of their deck.

Once this is done (and I don't like to spend more than 5 or so minutes doing it, we try our tuned decks against each other a few times. Each will realize deficiencies or redundancy and within the rules (Corp maintaining minimum Agenda), we tune after each play.

Then we can add in a booster or two - just open the booster and split them purple/green. Mix in and trim down and play again. I'll add up to two boosters to a 'sealed pack' but won't record what the boosters were -- once a starter has its boosters, it is kind of locked for a while.

I find that within this construct (done a few times), we end up with different enough corp and runner decks to enjoy many different iterations.

---

I suspect that opening and playing the LCG will be similar. Folks will start with whatever preconstructed faction decks are in the box. We'll play Jinteki vs Shapers, Haas-Bioroid vs Criminal, News Broadcast Network vs Anarchist and keep mixing things up within the preconstructed decks for a bit. Then people will start customizing within the boxed playset of cards, and then the 'boosters' will start becoming available and the divergence will grow. Two people's 'Jinteki' deck will follow similar but different paths.

Game nights can be free-for-all (everyone bring your favorite Corp and Runner decks) or you can theme the evening... Everyone brings a Haas and Shaper deck and see which faction takes home the most wins.

Lots to explore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.