Rex: Final Days of an Empire» Forums » Rules

Subject: URGENT Sol Victory Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Owen Compton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We're playing a game right now and I've had the good sense to run upstairs and check this now before it gets to the end of turn 8 (we're currently in the middle of turn 7).

If an ALLY of the Sol player has units in Mecatol Power South at the end of turn 8 then does the Sol player (and thus his alliance) still win under Sol's special victory condition?

P.S. My Sol ally doesn't know it but if I win then I'm playing my betrayal card MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA! devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Harris
United Kingdom
Sutton
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, I can't help (being more of an 'old school' Dune fan) but I think the community *really* needs to know the outcome of this game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
The Sacred Voice wrote:
We're playing a game right now and I've had the good sense to run upstairs and check this now before it gets to the end of turn 8 (we're currently in the middle of turn 7).

If an ALLY of the Sol player has units in Mecatol Power South at the end of turn 8 then does the Sol player (and thus his alliance) still win under Sol's special victory condition?

P.S. My Sol ally doesn't know it but if I win then I'm playing my betrayal card MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA! devil

No, Sol themselves must control the area (or nobody). Allies cannot help in this regard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Tamburo
United States
Justice
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No.

Sol has to fulfill their own special victory condition, but allies can share in the win gained from it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Owen Compton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
harris_family wrote:
Sorry, I can't help (being more of an 'old school' Dune fan) but I think the community *really* needs to know the outcome of this game

We're all done! It was a dramatic finish indeed.

Hacan had decided to go it alone in turn 6 as he realised he could just continue to hold his three strongholds and win that way but this meant that a 3-person alliance of Sol, Jol-Nar (myself) and Letnev were all hellbent on making sure through turns 7 and 8 that we could empty out Mecatol Power South and win through Sol's alternate victory.

At the end of turn 7 I had managed to leave 2 of my units in there after taking it off Hacan control so at the start of turn 8 (after asking you guys about whether I could leave my troops in there) I realised I had to get them out AND still make sure no one else took it (Sol had not got troops in a position to move in and hold it himself). This was tricky as I was last in the turn order and Hacan moved in a sizeable force to try and depose my units.

So now I'm in a dilemma, I have to defeat Hacan but also lose all my troops in Mecatol Power South - additionally he's got so many troops in there that there's a good chance I might not win. Flash of brilliance I realise he probably only has the Magen Defence Shield left and I have the Hylar III Laser! I know he's likely to play the shield and I'm obviously playing the laser so everyone gets killed and the space remains empty (hooray!)

Sadly I hadn't had the chance to fulfil my betrayal objective (Path of Peace (difficulty 1): Have more units in the Galactic Council than my allies. I knew it was a long shot to win with just a difficulty 1 betrayal card when it could so easily be trumped by another person in my alliance but I know that the rest of my allies were so busy working on the strongholds that I hoped they hadn't had time to focus on their objectives and it would be masterful indeed to win with Path of Peace. Sadly it didn't matter anyway because when we finished then the Letnev player revealed Master of Deceit betrayal (difficult 8: hold no strongholds) and it turned out the Sol player had actually fulfilled his objective just in case someone else had decided to betray (he had difficulty 5). Alas! We all lost to the craven Letnev.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Harris
United Kingdom
Sutton
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent, thanks for that! Very dramatic and it's surprising how often Rex/Dune *does* go down to the wire!

Simon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maltuvion Irewood
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The Sacred Voice wrote:

Hacan had decided to go it alone in turn 6 as he realised he could just continue to hold his three strongholds and win that way

You do realize that a player wins the game if he manages to hold 3 strongholds all by himself at the end of a round? Sounds to me like your game should have ended by turn 6, unless Hacan lost some strongholds that you didn't tell us about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Owen Compton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maltuvion wrote:
The Sacred Voice wrote:

Hacan had decided to go it alone in turn 6 as he realised he could just continue to hold his three strongholds and win that way

You do realize that a player wins the game if he manages to hold 3 strongholds all by himself at the end of a round? Sounds to me like your game should have ended by turn 6, unless Hacan lost some strongholds that you didn't tell us about.

Oh yeh, he broke the alliance in turn 7, but lost two strongholds in that round so it was all good on that front

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgeny Reznikov
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
A bit of a late comment, but managing to empty the stronghold in combat is pretty easy - just dial your entire force.
This has the additional benefit of increasing your chances of winning the battle and clearing the stronghold of the Hacan troops, thus enabling the Sol endgame victory condition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dypaca
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
azuredarkness wrote:
A bit of a late comment, but managing to empty the stronghold in combat is pretty easy - just dial your entire force.
This has the additional benefit of increasing your chances of winning the battle and clearing the stronghold of the Hacan troops, thus enabling the Sol endgame victory condition.

Provided you actually fight a battle.

If Sol's ally goes to kick out an opponent, then the opponent moves out or plays a retreat card, they have spoiled the special victory condition. They've also given you a stronghold though, so you can try for normal victory at the same time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgeny Reznikov
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
azuredarkness wrote:
A bit of a late comment, but managing to empty the stronghold in combat is pretty easy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.