Hide
10 Posts

Small World» Forums » Rules

Subject: Sorcerer one unit rule rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Stiles
msg tools
Hello, I have played three matches of Small World so far and I have been wondering; when a sorcerer converts a single token into another sorcerer, does that token have to be the sole occupant of the region for just that turn or for as long as it remains there?

I also always wondered why dwarves only get three base tokens, it's not like their racial is all that amazing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
pizzagoat wrote:
Hello, I have played three matches of Small World so far and I have been wondering; when a sorcerer converts a single token into another sorcerer, does that token have to be the sole occupant of the region for just that turn or for as long as it remains there?

Just at the time you convert it. The game has no means to track who was changed in this way so it mixes in with your regular pool when you go to conquer again next turn (if you choose to abandon that region.

Quote:
I also always wondered why dwarves only get three base tokens, it's not like their racial is all that amazing.

It is supposed to be self-balanced. But that is also why there is a "bid" system. If you or your group think don't think the dwarves are worth it, you will pay the coin to pass them up. At some point it becomes attractive enough for someone to take it. Personally, I don't see much issue with them but it does depend who they get paired up with on the power.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Stiles
msg tools
So during redeployment in subsequent turns, I can add more tokens to that region?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Wagner Hansen
Denmark
Sorø
flag msg tools
designer
Any time, any place!
badge
Fingers off, that's my car!
mbmbmbmbmb
pizzagoat wrote:
So during redeployment in subsequent turns, I can add more tokens to that region?

Yes, and also in the same turns redeployment phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the main issue with the "self-balancing" races is that they are very unattractive with low player counts. It usually takes a lot for Dwarves to be worth it, more than is possible in a two-player game. This is one of the reasons I feel the five-player game is best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
pizzagoat wrote:

My guess is that their in decline power was overvalued. Without it they are identical to wizards so with it they need at least 1 unit fewer to be balanced. They are instead 2 units fewer and it really drags them down.

As people have said since the game is self balancing people will pass them over and eventually they will be taken just because they have accumulated a lot of coins and for that reason many people think they are fine.

Personally I hate this way of thinking. By that logic no race/attribute can be overpowered/underpowered (except in the most extreme of cases) because by the nature of the game people will pay more for an "overpowered" ability and wait to collect coins from an "underpowered" one.

The bottom line is without the self balancing mechanism dwarfs are underpowered whether it was intentional or not. The mere fact that most of the games reported here show people taking them only after they've accumulated a large number of coins alone proves this. However the self balancing mechanics of the game lets them get away with it.

The thing that bugs me the most about them is that often they are taken as a players last race (either in desperation or after accumulating a lot of coins) so they never even make it into decline so effectively most of the time they are in fact just weak wizards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernd Weber
Germany
Augsburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dwarves like gold. Where can they get some? They get gold coins when nobody takes them.

Dripping with theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hill
msg tools
Drawfs gain plus 1 gold from mines while active and while in decline. If you flip the dwarf you will see that the mine symbol is on there aswell as the front.

Wizards gain plus 1 gold from magic sources while active but not while in decline.

This is why there are fewer Dwarves than Wizards, they have a slightly stonger racial power than wizards do so you get less of them.

As the mine symbols are spread out I'm not sure that the race is balanced as it's hard to get 2 mines when declining.

On the point of them gaining gold as they lack balance I like the point.
Plus I won a game of Small World by taking Cursed Dwarfs as they had 12 points on them on the last turn. ;'}

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giannis Agoras
Greece
Patras
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
About sorcerers again, does their power work against the lost tribe too?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
koutalis wrote:
About sorcerers again, does their power work against the lost tribe too?

Active races only (note anything with a Column symbol present on all lost tribes and on the back of all unit tokens is NOT an active race).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.