Popular Tags: [View All]
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
The movie is such a classic.
Does any one recall which game had the PPY's that ran the search patterns trying to find the Jap taskforce? Every one had plotted movement, lots of stack sof planes on the carriers or carrier operation sheets.
Lots of fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
It's unfortunate they ruined a perfectly good love story by tossing in those battle scenes later in the movie. What were they thinking?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Petty
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
C.V.?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Ryan
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We were watching that one at work until we fired up A Bridge Too Far...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Palmer
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ABTF sparked my interest in Market-Garden. Now THAT'S a classic war movie! Midway? Wow, what a waste. It would be great if Hollywood did a 'real' Midway movie. Maybe in cooperation with Japanese film makers like they did with Tora, Tora, Tora.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Willcockson
United States
Woodstock
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yea I gotta say that one was a real dog. The scenes with the Japanese planning the operation at the very beginning of the movie looked like some bad television drama, compare them with similar scenes from Tora Tora Tora where they are actually speaking Japanese (even with the white captions on white uniforms) I hung in a while longer until the outlines of the insipid love story emerged (was it Heston's son and the Japanese American girl, I don't quite remember now) but the footage lifted from Tora Tora Tora and the usual reused WWII combat footage finally finished me off. The battle of Midway could definitely be a good one to do a Tora Tora Tora style movie in this age of CGI, but after Pearl Harbor you might actually get something even worse than this movie.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Seeley
United States
Columbus
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What I found most disturbing about this movie is they had Japanese planes crashing into the American carriers. The Japanese did not use Kamikaze attacks at Midway. Sadly I think most people believe the Japanses were using Kamikaze attacks as soon as the war began. And yes, I found this historical inaccuracy worse than the movie's love story. I guess that makes me a history geek.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
agrognard wrote:
What I found most disturbing about this movie is they had Japanese planes crashing into the American carriers. The Japanese did not use Kamikaze attacks at Midway. Sadly I think most people believe the Japanses were using Kamikaze attacks as soon as the war began. And yes, I found this historical inaccuracy worse than the movie's love story. I guess that makes me a history geek.

I never said it was historically accurate!
A Little loves story goes a looooooong way!
I thought depsite the inaccuracies and woeful guys shaking their shoulders whilst shooting in the plan etc etc it was quiet a little war drama.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I chose to watch "The Longest Day" yesterday - one of my favorite war movies. A relatively straightforward retelling of D-Day, filmed in glorious black & white, TLD is an epic war flick. Heck, even John Wayne gave a fairly restrained and appropriate performance!

As for Midway - I'd love to see a modern remake, so long as no one let's Michael Bay or Ben Affleck anywhere near it! If people in this thread think "Midway" was a lousy flick, they should see Bay's "Pearl Harbor" to get a true appreciation for horrible war movie making!

(BTW - I like the old "Midway" movie! Like Kev notes, it may have inaccuracies, but it's a fun movie to watch, and it gets the story mostly right, unlike "Pearl Harbor".)

For another movie that involves convoluted love stories and great ol-fashioned war movie nuggets, I suggest "In Harm's Way". Another long, epic flick with a lot of 1960's star power (John Wayne, Kirk Douglas, Patricia Neal, etc.), IHW is a guilty pleasure of mine, and I will watch it whenever it's on!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Seeley
United States
Columbus
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:
I chose to watch "The Longest Day" yesterday - one of my favorite war movies. A relatively straightforward retelling of D-Day, filmed in glorious black & white, TLD is an epic war flick. Heck, even John Wayne gave a fairly restrained and appropriate performance!

As for Midway - I'd love to see a modern remake, so long as no one let's Michael Bay or Ben Affleck anywhere near it! If people in this thread think "Midway" was a lousy flick, they should see Bay's "Pearl Harbor" to get a true appreciation for horrible war movie making!

I completely agree! Pearl Harbor is far worse than Midway.I would say it is the worst war movie I have ever seen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Hawkins
United States
Mooresville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Both of these wil always have a place in my heart since my father introduced them to me. He actually took me to the theater with him for Midway, which was fairly uncommon. While the footage is inaccurate at times (and I knew this at age 10!), I thoroughly enjoyed it then and still do today. I can never get enough of movies, books and games about ships and planes...and the USN.

desertfox2004 wrote:

(BTW - I like the old "Midway" movie! Like Kev notes, it may have inaccuracies, but it's a fun movie to watch, and it gets the story mostly right, unlike "Pearl Harbor".)

For another movie that involves convoluted love stories and great ol-fashioned war movie nuggets, I suggest "In Harm's Way". Another long, epic flick with a lot of 1960's star power (John Wayne, Kirk Douglas, Patricia Neal, etc.), IHW is a guilty pleasure of mine, and I will watch it whenever it's on!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Palmer
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding love stories in movies, I subscribe to my brother's theory:

Look at the cast listing from top to bottom--the further down you have to go to find an actress, the better the war movie! laugh

And that is why A Bridge Too Far, Band of Brothers, and Glory are my favorite war movies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Willcockson
United States
Woodstock
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes there I'll agree, Pearl Harbor is far far far worse than Midway. That is the fastest I have ever gone though a film, watch until it becomes unbearable, fast forward as quickly as possible to get out of the scene, rinse repeat. I probably went through that movie in 20 min.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Galati
United States
Manalapan
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
[q="Goshawk"]Both of these wil always have a place in my heart since my father introduced them to me. He actually took me to the theater with him for Midway, which was fairly uncommon. While the footage is inaccurate at times (and I knew this at age 10!), I thoroughly enjoyed it then and still do today. I can never get enough of movies, books and games about ships and planes...and the USN.]

I too remember my father taking me to see this movie when I was 7 years old.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christina Kahrl
United States
Unionville
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Goshawk wrote:
Both of these wil always have a place in my heart since my father introduced them to me. He actually took me to the theater with him for Midway, which was fairly uncommon.

Wow... same here. On the other hand, Dad also took me to see "The Wind and the Lion" and "The Man Who Would Be King," all in that little theater by the Town & Country Mall in Sacramento IIRC.

Ah, memories,
Christina
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Tianen
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
That's a very competitive question, which is worse Pearl Harbor or Midway? Pearl Harbor has a sappy love story, and possibly the worse portrayal of an American president ever -- Jon Voight's FDR. FDR always disguised his paralysis. Remember the scene where he struggles to his feet in a cabinet meeting?
Midway has a sappy love story and even botches the climatic battle scene. You never actually see the Japanese carriers sink and they don't reveal what happens to the Yorktown.
And for those of us who notice such things, Pearl Harbor shows modern frigates in the harbor and Midway has Iowa class battleships in the battle.
I give Pearl Harbor the nod as slightly better for the dramatic death of the Arizona and the scene of the Oklahoma capsizing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
A great experience for me when I was younger was watching these kind of films with my grandfather who served as a landing craft operator in the Pacific. I can't remember what film it was but we were watching some WW II in the Pacific movie and he was talking about the ships and stuff when in the movie they sounded general quarters. He said that sound sent chills up his spine because when he was in the Pacific that sound usually meant one thing. The Kamikazes were coming. I was pretty young at the time but even then I knew what a Kamikaze was. I remember my father asked him "did any of them hit your ship?" He responded "Oh yeah".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.