BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Women and Gaming

Subject: geek women do you upgrade your games in a creative way ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jood shine
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ive been looking at buying resources for my new agricola big and small game and wondered if the rest of you pimped your games - if so tell us what you,ve done

the only one ive done is glen more by using old agricola animals and i bought some wood and stone to replace the cubes...

ow and i have a nice little elephant that i use when i play mammals in dominat species.

id like to do more but dont seem to find anything inspiring..maybe you will inspire me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joanna G
United States
Laguna Niguel
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: geek women do you pimp your games ?
I brought the Goodies expansion for Agricola, so my people have faces and animals and veggies have shapes. I love the game, but its too abstract without the Goodies, I feel.

I also have "pimped" The Adventurers by buying the painted minis.

I really want to pimp Arkham Horror by getting the pre-painted investigator and monster minis, but the price is pretty steep...

I've also been slowly painting my minis from other games (War of the Ring, Black Sheep, Fortune & Glory, and Middle-Earth Quest.)

Oh and I'm neurotic about keeping my games organized and easy to set up by using plano boxes and color coated baggies. That's not exactly pimping, but maybe sort-of?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mercedes (Mandy)
Japan
Setagaya-ku
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Tokyo Game Market here I come!
badge
Sorry if I'm slow in reading mails. I'm currently working hard on some Alley Thieves
mbmbmbmbmb
Great thread.
I love pimping out games I think I have OCD.

I'm not sure if all of these are considered pimping out a game, but...

I'm always looking for creative ways to store my games components & making tuckboxes & player aids (is that pimping?) e.g. I made tuckbox sleeves for each of the characters in Battlecon

I created a new storage system for my Dominion game (all tabbed).

I've tried my hand at painting the figures for TTR: Alvin & Dexter, & Castle Ravenloft (still ongoing, this may take me 1 year)

and maybe one of my more interesting projects was to make portable Summoner Wars player mats. Probably the most expensive also.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonna
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
admin
designer
"Live your truth. Express your love. Share your enthusiasm. Take action towards your dreams. Walk your talk. Dance and sing to your music. Embrace your blessings. Make today worth remembering." ― Steve Maraboli
badge
नमस्ते (Namaste) – I honor the place in you in which the entire universe dwells. I honor the place in you which is of love, of truth, of light and of peace. When you are in that place in you and I am in that place in me, we are one.
mbmbmbmbmb
I always sleeve the cards, take the insert out of the box and organize everything into nice plastic boxes. I print out player aids and put stuff/cards on little plastic mini-grip-bags of cotton bags.

I also paint the miniatures if there are those. I love painting minis, even if it is very time consuming. For my Mansion of Maddness I also replaced quite a few monster minitures with some that just looked better IMHO. So yes, I do pimp my games and would do that even more if the games themselves weren't so expencive here

Here you can find some pictures of the minis I've painted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joanna G
United States
Laguna Niguel
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kattvippa wrote:

Wow - your minis looks great! What do you use for a wash and sealer??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melody
Canada
Madeira Park
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
I have no willpower :)
badge
(.ㅅ.) The meaning of life is tuna >'.'<
mbmbmbmbmb
All the time. I've done sculpting in fimo, knitting, woodworking, adding new dice, acrylic nuggets, coins, resin, ect. If you counted the PnP games it would be a very long list. The games that go along with the images are Pandemic, Clue, Volcano, Cthulhu Dice, RoboRally, & Arkham Horror.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mercedes (Mandy)
Japan
Setagaya-ku
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Tokyo Game Market here I come!
badge
Sorry if I'm slow in reading mails. I'm currently working hard on some Alley Thieves
mbmbmbmbmb
horfrost3 wrote:
Kattvippa wrote:

I agree, they look awesomely fantastic!! I need to learn how to paint tips would be awesome I'm struggling with the rest of the D&D minis to get the colors to pop hehe.

I'm new to painting, and have only painted maybe 10? miniatures so far (I've only used Citadel paints) but when I heard the D&D miniatures were really slick & it was hard for paint to stick, I browsed the web for ideas, and some people recommended Gesso as a paint on primer (you can get clear, white, or black - paint it on, leave it on for 24hrs, it shrinks and fills in the cracks and you can paint over it). I live in a tiny shoebox, so I can't use spray on primer, so I finally found this.

Then I found this sealer, recommended by the many art shops I asked around at. There's matt, semi-gloss, and gloss.

The tall bottle is Gesso, the smaller blue pot is sealer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cool User
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My limited pimping experiences are covering the cathedral from The Pillars of the Earth, and putting stickers on the resource discs for Agricola. I bought sculpey and hope to eventually replace the wooden penguins in Hey, That's My Fish! but I am not a creative/artsy person so I don't feel very confident.

Karen Lewis
United States
Grosse Pointe Farms
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gave me a flickering battery-operated tea light to put in the volcano in The Downfall of Pompeii but I haven't tried it yet.

I also managed to create a set of Chunky Fighters but I don't think that print-and-play counts as "pimping".

On another note, I hate the term "pimping". Does anyone else feel the same way? I wish there were a more gender-inoffensive term to use.

ETA: The most common alterations to my games are storage solutions. I have rather elaborate Agricola and Small World containers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathy Sheets
United States
Stuart
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, some fantastic work here! Very nice but the only thing I've done is replace the dice that came with Macao with nice ones.

I also print out player aids, try to keep my games organized and neat and love setting them up and putting them away. I do not remove inserts unless I find it absolutely necessary.

Just an FYI in case anyone has both Kingdom Builder and Nomads. I read a tip that you can remove the insert from Nomads and exchange it with the one in the original KB box. Then all the new boards, etc. will fit in the original box. Very convenient.

Cool, why don't you just say "upgrade" instead of "pimp."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jood shine
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cool i know what you mean about the word pimp - expand, be creative is good

i always take out the inserts and love organising all the bits - thats part of the joy - i have a huge bag of baggies that i will bring out when we have a new game

loved reading all your replies..im not v creative either - i always look in craft shops now to see if there is anything suitable...all fun
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vittoria Gnecchi Ruscone
Italy
Milano
flag msg tools
Not sure if it counts as pimping up a game but I've currently been nuking woodworm out of an old trunk in which I eventually plan to store part of my collection. I still haven't decided if I should renovate it fully - the old fabric (it's almost in rags and of a nondescript colour), old paper linings and rusty nails give it a very pirate-y look arrrh
Hmm I should probably check when I had my last tetanus booster shot though..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
The most I've considered is buying less fiddly tokens for Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization, because they annoy the crap out of me. A guy in my game group bought glass tokens from a crafts store and they rock.

Well, okay, there are some wobbly eyed animeeples on Etsy that I briefly encountered, but I don't play Agricola nearly as much, so I resisted. If they made the wobbly eyed animeeples as earrings, I would be all over them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joanna G
United States
Laguna Niguel
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally use Reaper Master Series Paints and Brush-on Primer. The Primer has a really nice finish and the paint goes on very smoothly. The bottles are small and cost around $3, but I was able prime almost 50 miniatures with just 1 bottle, so it goes a long way. Just make sure you shake the bottle really well, otherwise it'll come out too thin and you'll have to use several coats. Primer is KEY in getting your paints to adhere, without it you'll have to use a lot more paint and the paint won't stay on as long.

I also like to use the washes from Reaper, they add a nice sheen to the paint without being too glossy. I'm still trying to find out if the wash is enough to seal the paint (I suspect it has a little gloss in it with gives it the sheen), but until I know for sure, I seal my figures with Tester's Dullcote... though this takes away some of the sheen, which is a bummer. I'm tempted to spray the Dullcote on and then add the wash, but I haven't tried it yet. I've also heard that using a glossy sealer, then the Dullcote gives a nice sheen effect, but I haven't tried it myself.

Here is a great article to read on painting minis: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/37355/so-you-want-to-paint-y...

My step by step to painting minis:

1) If any figures are bent, dip them in almost boiling water until they are soft enough to bend, hold them in place, then dip them in ice cold water.
2) Remove any excess mold flash with an exacto knife
3) Wash the figures (use a toothbrush and a little dish soap and luke-warm water)
4) When they are dry, mount them on something -  the guy who wrote the link above suggested using golf tees, which I find very useful. You put a little bit of elmer's glue on the golf tee, then place your miniature on top and wait for it to dry. I stick the mini on golf tee in styrofoam blocks or cardboard to dry.
5) Once the glue is dry, paint on (or spray, but I prefer brush-on primer) the Primer
6) Once its dry, apply a second coat if needed
7) Once its dry, apply your first coat of paint. I like to put a wash on here, so I can see all the details when I paint. Then I block out my colors, usually starting with the largest areas to the smallest/most detailed areas. I keep my first coat nice and loose. Just want to get everything covered.
8) Then once its dry, apply your second coat. Here is where I refine the details and clean up my messy first layer.
9) Once its dry again, I touch up any spotty or cracked areas, and once again refine the details.
10. Once its dry, I add a wash (if you try the Reaper's wash, add a little more water - otherwise it goes on a little too dark.) Use a bigger brush (Like a 2).
11. Wait for it to dry, like a full day. Look over the figure, make any adjustments... Then remove the golf tee and glue (should be easy to peel off) and then its ready to seal with either a brush-on sealer or a spray sealer like Dullcote. If you're spraying, then put your figs in a box, stand them up and spray evenly around all the figures and wait for them to dry. Leave them in a ventilated area, the spray is pretty toxic.

The only pics I have posted so far are from Black Sheep: 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EGG Head
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes I have done some micro pimping for both fun, storage and for playability.
examples:
For fun I thought these eyes added some more zaniness

For storage I designed these along with a few others for various games

For playability I painted the orange tokens to distinguish them from the red more easily

and I made the ants blue (the color I usually play) to distinguish between the brown and neutral color ants
and I once ventured to paint my RoboRally minis. They turned out ok and I even used one as my first avatar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angela Hickman Newnham
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the first game I upgraded purely for aesthetics was Agricola. I bought veggie meeples and animeeples and the designer boards for that game. The meeples we to reinforce the theme, which convinces more people to want to try it, and the board were just for fun

I've done some printed out FAQs, scenarios, and stuff for Memoir 44, and spent a bunch of money for a complex set of interlocking boxes to store all the expansions in. I'm still trying to figure out how to really organize all of the pieces and boards and terrain tiles in a way that makes sense and is easy to find what I want. Any ideas?

Recently, I've done some "pimping" out of my favoritie MTG Commander decks, swapping out the lands for a full set of the Zendikar basics, or doing all foil land in a deck with foil versions of as many cards as I reasonably can without going out and ordering bucketloads of foils.

Hmmm, interestingly those are my 3 favorite games. So I guess my answer is that if I love a game enough then I like to start upgrading it and give additional attention to aesthetics and storage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victoria Osborne
United States
Grants Pass
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yea i pretty much love to pimp my games, though not as creative as some of them. I do ok.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonna
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
admin
designer
"Live your truth. Express your love. Share your enthusiasm. Take action towards your dreams. Walk your talk. Dance and sing to your music. Embrace your blessings. Make today worth remembering." ― Steve Maraboli
badge
नमस्ते (Namaste) – I honor the place in you in which the entire universe dwells. I honor the place in you which is of love, of truth, of light and of peace. When you are in that place in you and I am in that place in me, we are one.
mbmbmbmbmb
horfrost3 wrote:
Kattvippa wrote:

Thank you very much blush

I use mostly Vallejo's paints and always prime the minis with white primer or black. I actually don't use any wash these days. I start painting with the darkest tone of the colour and work my way gradually up to the lighter tones on the highlight areas. I take the base colour and add black to it in order to get it really dark, if I'm working with e.g. blue for dark jeans. If I'm after e.g. pink end result, I start with red and paint several lighter layers. And it gives a good result if you use just a little bit almost complete white on a few selected highligt areas. But not too much, just a few very small areas

I use watered paint to all but the first actual colour layer so that the consistence is milk-like. That way the edges of where the colour changes is smooth. It took few times and miniatures to get that right, but once you get the hang of it, you don't want to go back to washes as this technique is much more controlled and the result is therefore much better. And you always have the right colour because you are working with the same one instead of trying to find the right wash

When making black lighter, I always use the fairest skin tone as that seem to give the best result for some reason. With red I use either pale yellow or dead white, depending on what sort of outcome I'm after. Sometimes greens will look better also with a touch of yellow when mixing the colour to a lighter tone. It's worth trying different mixes

Finally, when I'm done, I use Vallejo's Matt Varnish to seal the paint. It's worth remembering that the more matt the varnish is, the more it tones down the carefully placed highlights. Therefore if you like to use the matt varnish (which is the only choice for me), you should make the highlights a bit more drastic than what you want the end result to be as the varnish takes away some of it.

And if ever there are questions I can answer, I'm always happy to help fellow painters laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonna
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
horfrost3 wrote:

My step by step to painting minis:

1) If any figures are bent, dip them in almost boiling water until they are soft enough to bend, hold them in place, then dip them in ice cold water.
2) Remove any excess mold flash with an exacto knife
3) Wash the figures (use a toothbrush and a little dish soap and luke-warm water)
4) When they are dry, mount them on something -  the guy who wrote the link above suggested using golf tees, which I find very useful. You put a little bit of elmer's glue on the golf tee, then place your miniature on top and wait for it to dry. I stick the mini on golf tee in styrofoam blocks or cardboard to dry.

These are the very important first steps, thanks for sharing them. I completely forgot to mention that stuff I have been using old paint bottles by GW and put some blu-tack on the lid and then press the mini on it. But glueing works probably better as it doesn't mess the base at all like blu-tack sometimes does. It's just annoying as you need to take the mini of the blu-tack and then redo the edges of the base.

I've also heard that glossy varnish and then dullcoat gives a very sustainable and good result but haven't tried it yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hey, I've created a video channel! Hover over my avatar to get more info! :) - Josh -
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
My video channel has a Facebook page - Find it by searching "Josh Yaks page" on Facebook
badge
Find my video channel on YouTube as "Josh Yaks"!
mbmbmbmbmb
Please forgive me for being so presumptuous as to post in the women's forum, however I just wanted to briefly add a couple of things which will hopefully be helpful for some.

For those who are getting started with painting minis, I spent a few days writing a detailed "how to" article:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/687047/painting-plastic-...

And as for terminology, my personal preference is for "game customization" rather than "game pimping".

I've been very much enjoying following along with this thread and seeing all the wonderfully creative work you ladies are doing! (But I'll delete this comment if you'd rather not have a dude interjecting in your conversation!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jood shine
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thats a great word..customization.wish id thought of that one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hey, I've created a video channel! Hover over my avatar to get more info! :) - Josh -
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
My video channel has a Facebook page - Find it by searching "Josh Yaks page" on Facebook
badge
Find my video channel on YouTube as "Josh Yaks"!
mbmbmbmbmb
jood wrote:
thats a great word..customization.wish id thought of that one.

I had also requested the creation of this MicroBadge some time back:

mb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melody
Canada
Madeira Park
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
I have no willpower :)
badge
(.ㅅ.) The meaning of life is tuna >'.'<
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I guess I found me a new microbadge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonna
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
squash wrote:
Please forgive me for being so presumptuous as to post in the women's forum

I'm quite sure I speak for all of the ladies here when I say that this forum is not exclusive, so men are most welcome to join the conversations when there are something nice to say So thanks for sharing your article.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynda Shea
United States
Tolland
CT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not as crafty as most of you, but I do appreciate your hard work and will frequently purchase items from others to enhance/pimp my games. I also like to print player aids, files, and maps (lots spent on laminating) as well as updating components. Lastly, I have on occasion purchased tile bags (larger than dice bags) that are made in different fabrics that match the theme of a particular game. It's a lot of fun and adds to the gaming experience. meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle
United States
West Union
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kattvippa wrote:
squash wrote:
Please forgive me for being so presumptuous as to post in the women's forum
I'm quite sure I speak for all of the ladies here when I say that this forum is not exclusive, so men are most welcome to join the conversations when there are something nice to say :) So thanks for sharing your article.

Please don't speak for "all the ladies here".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.