Hide
11 Posts

Tournay» Forums » Rules

Subject: Ballista? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Math .
msg tools
This card indicates that you put coins on the events of your choosing. Do these coins come from the player who played Baliste, or from the supply?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Albritton
United States
Tupelo
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The supply, just as if the event was triggered by a herald.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Hebert
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can the Ballista only activate cards that have empty coin spots on them within which to place the coins? I have only played the game once, and played it this way. Is this correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Tsoi
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
According to the player aid, the function of Ballista should be making other players to be affected by events of your choice. I think we should follow similar steps as when events were triggered by drawing Town Crier cards. The only difference is that you can choose which event(s) are going to be triggered and the active player will not be affected by negative events.

So, when you active Ballista, you
1. choose which event cards that you want to trigger
2. add 1 coin from the supply to each of the event cards that you have chosen in step 1. If all the circles on a card are already full, do not add a coin to that card,
3. All other players are affeacted by the events that you have chosen and each effect is applied once for each coin on the card (regardless of whether a coin could be added to the card in the previous step). In case of positive events, the active player can also be benefited.

So, I think you can choose triggering event cards which are already full of coins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Hebert
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This makes sense to me. Thanks for the post. I played it this way and it seemed to make the Ballista much more appealing. Fun game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
haybear wrote:
Can the Ballista only activate cards that have empty coin spots on them within which to place the coins? I have only played the game once, and played it this way. Is this correct?

The Z-Man rules say about the Ballista (in Appendix 2) "It is possible to choose an event on which no circles are available; in this case, do not put a denier on it and activate it for the maximum effect."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Bob742
msg tools
War is a Racket - Maj Gen Smedley Darlington Butler d
mbmb
Why would one not want to activate a full 3 cards?
I've played only 2 player games so far, so maybe there could some strategy to doing only 1 Event card in a larger game?
Except for maybe the (3 out of 15) Events that give out money.

And, would those three that give out money give money to the active player while using Ballista? I would think not. Because the cheat sheet states "The other players are affected by 1 to 3 Event cards...."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bobobob598 wrote:
Would those three that give out money give money to the active player while using Ballista? I would think not. Because the cheat sheet states "The other players are affected by 1 to 3 Event cards...."

The Z-Man rules say the following about Ballista: "A Ballista lets you to activate a positive event, but in this particular case, everyone benefits from the Event card (including you)."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aside from not wanting to activate positive events (which apply to everyone) you might not want to activate all the events because:
* you'll make them stronger for the next time they're activated by town criers or an opponent's ballista
* more money will be available on the event (if an opponent has a level II fort or a knight)
* you might not want an event to have money on it because you have the Bastion or an opponent has a fort
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Bob742
msg tools
War is a Racket - Maj Gen Smedley Darlington Butler d
mbmb
Thanks for the replies.

I have the Pearl Games version and it does not specify that while using the Ballista the positive event includes you. Only activating between 1 & 3 Events affecting only your opponents.

In a recent game I forwent taking monies in this situation.

Thanks for the clarification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BoardGameArena has an online version that enforces the rules - I played one of the designers there a few weeks ago (and lost).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.