Ora et Labora» Forums » Rules

Subject: Settlement scoring rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Board games addict
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a little confused about this, so I get how you count all the buildings next to the settlement card and have a total score for that settlement, but it then says other settlements also count, does this mean the settlement card with arrows must be next to each other, or just next to one of the other settlements buildings to score for both?

Or is it good enough to have one settlements building touching/adjacent to a different settlements building?

I guess to be more precise, how do we know when a settlement qualifies as "neighboring" to another one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chef D
United States
US Armed Forces - Americas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For each settlement you count the number in each red house on all the cards that are adjacent orthogonally. If one or more of those cards are settlements you count the red number in the house like you would any other building. This can create a powerful multiplier since you count the value of the neighborhood cards in each settlement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Waltier
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't overthink it - just follow the rules as you understand them. Settlement A counts each of its neighbor's dwelling values, even if one of its neighbors is settlement B. Settlement B does the same, as does any other settlement. Putting two settlements with high dwelling values next to one another is a good idea. Putting a settlement on every side of a high-dwelling-value building is also a good idea. Does this help clarify at all? If not, could you rephrase your question or ask it in a different way?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Funguy wrote:
For each settlement you count the number in each red house on all the cards that are adjacent orthogonally. If one or more of those cards are settlements you count the red number in the house like you would any other building.

Just to further clarify, as it isn't explicitly stated in the answer above, you also add the dwelling value of the settlement itself. Thus, with a well placed settlement (one that is surrounded with either buildings and/or other settlements, and/or the sea) there will be five dwelling values to add together.

This is one of my favourite parts of Ora. I love trying to maximize the benefit of my high dwelling point buildings, by placing them in order to score for as many settlements as possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Woodland
New Zealand
Tauranga
Bay of Plenty
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
entwife wrote:
Funguy wrote:
For each settlement you count the number in each red house on all the cards that are adjacent orthogonally. If one or more of those cards are settlements you count the red number in the house like you would any other building.

Just to further clarify, as it isn't explicitly stated in the answer above, you also add the dwelling value of the settlement itself. Thus, with a well placed settlement (one that is surrounded with either buildings and/or other settlements, and/or the sea) there will be five dwelling values to add together.

This is one of my favourite parts of Ora. I love trying to maximize the benefit of my high dwelling point buildings, by placing them in order to score for as many settlements as possible.

That's the way I play it with our group. You count the red value of each card touching the settlement (Not diagonally) and we count the value in red of the actual settlement.

I watched the video here on the geek, which when he explains the scoring and talks about how to score settlements:

http://boardgamegeek.com/video/12114/ora-et-labora/ora-et-la...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Boote
United Kingdom
Virginia Water
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

we count the value in red of the actual settlement

Surely you mean the value in WHITE of the actual settlement?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Smiles
United States
Dedham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
The ratio of people to cake is too big.
badge
Excuse me, I believe you have my stapler...
mbmbmbmbmb
Chrisboote wrote:
Quote:

we count the value in red of the actual settlement

Surely you mean the value in WHITE of the actual settlement?

Actually both.

For the economic value scoring, you count the points in WHITE for every building (including settlements).

For settlement scoring, you count the RED dwelling value of the settlement itself, as well as the 4 buildings orthogonally adjacent to it (essentially a cross with the settlement in the center).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Boote
United Kingdom
Virginia Water
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whoopsie, I must have missed that. Thanx

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Woodland
New Zealand
Tauranga
Bay of Plenty
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chrisboote wrote:
Whoopsie, I must have missed that. Thanx

I missed counting the actual dwelling value of the settlement until the third solo game I played

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philihp Busby
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I played this with someone who had learned from someone else, but had been told that you don't count the settlement's dwelling value itself.

Page 7 of the rules confirms:

Quote:
3) Finally, score the settlements. Each settlement is worth points depending on the cards directly adjacent to it: Settlement points are calculated by adding the dwelling values of the settlement (recognizable by the house symbol) and all adjacent buildings together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keet Redden
United States
Stromsburg
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mb
That rule quote states the opposite of what your friend taught you. Read it again carefully. The other posters are correct. The settlement itself counts, along with all dwelling values orthogonally adjacent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, read it again.

add the dwelling values:

"of the settlement"
and
"all adjacent buildings together."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dmitri Koudrin
msg tools
So just to clarify, if I had a shanty town (-3) surrounded by 4 buildings with dwelling values of 4 each for example, I would score 16-3 = 13 total?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tucker Taylor
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Is your score positive? You win! (Some players win more than others.)
badge
A woman needs a man like a fish needs a saxophone.
mbmbmbmbmb
dkoudrin wrote:
So just to clarify, if I had a shanty town (-3) surrounded by 4 buildings with dwelling values of 4 each for example, I would score 16-3 = 13 total?

Correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.