Small World» Forums » Variants

Subject: New Abilities rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Woehlke
msg tools
mb
Just a couple abilities I thought of.

Front Line (4) - Destroy as many enemies adjacent to your total armies on your final conquest. Send opponents' armies directly to the tray.

Treasure Keeping (5) - Once per turn place a treasure token on a region you control to increase its defense by one. Should this region be taken from you the conquering army rolls the re-enforcement die. If "zero", then the conqueror loses one army to booby traps. If 1, 2, 3 are returned the conqueror gains 1 VP from the box (maybe 2? Maybe equal to dots on the die?). (Perhaps call this "temple?")

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Snarly_Yow wrote:
Just a couple abilities I thought of.

Front Line (4) - Destroy as many enemies adjacent to your total armies on your final conquest. Send opponents' armies directly to the tray.

I don't understand what you mean at all.
Snarly_Yow wrote:

Treasure Keeping (5) - Once per turn place a treasure token on a region you control to increase its defense by one. Should this region be taken from you the conquering army rolls the re-enforcement die. If "zero", then the conqueror loses one army to booby traps. If 1, 2, 3 are returned the conqueror gains 1 VP from the box (maybe 2? Maybe equal to dots on the die?). (Perhaps call this "temple?")

Utterly pathetic. At best the benefit to you is a +1 defense. A chance to kill or reward an opponent extra is NOT a benefit to you but a detriment cause you are giving the opponent a choice to attack you more and gamble for something good.

Any power which increases your defense by at least one is better than this especially heroic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While I'd commend thinking about new abilities, Front Line is wildly overpowered (if I'm reading it right) and Treasure Keeping is... horrible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Woehlke
msg tools
mb
"While I'd commend thinking about new abilities, Front Line is wildly overpowered (if I'm reading it right)"

You probably are reading it correctly. If, for instance, on your final conquest, before you redeploy, you have three chits in that region, you can destroy three chits of another's players if they are adjacent to you. I think that it would be extremely powerful in a two player game, but in a five player game it may not be powerful enough. Perhaps regions with an added defense such as Fortress or Mountain would be immune. Essentially, it helps clear the way for you or put a hurtin' on an opposing player.

"Treasure Keeping is... horrible."

I was trying to make Leprechaun more servicable. I like the idea of Leprechaun, but that ability just begs people to come and attack you and I fail to see the benefit. Maybe a better idea would be to have chits worth a VP and chits where an attacking player owes you a VP. Those chits would look identical on one side, and the outcome would be on the other. If someone conquers the space you resolve the outcome, if the chit remains on your space until your next turn, you get any of the VPs laying down.

It would basically say "If you conquer my region maybe you get a VP, maybe you owe me one."

Part of coming up with abilities is to keep the simplicity of Small World in tact. If it becomes too complex I think you lose the spirit of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you should avoid basing what might be cool off of what already exists. I'm not saying stop thinking, but both of these need adjusting.

I really want to try and build a fan-made collection of the best ideas, so keep it up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.