Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Samuel Tan
Indonesia
Balikpapan
East Borneo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Had played my first game this evening, but was interrupted because of some problems.. But this is the one, I can't seem to understand..

On my tableau, I had 3 cards (Earth's Lost Colony, Research Labs, & Plague World).. In previous produce phase, my Plague World had had a good on it.. Then, we entered a consume phase of the next round..

*Don't see the Earth's Lost Colony Special Power, I got it on my tablue just because it was my starting world*

I used the "Consume: x2 VP" Action Card, but then I got confused.. Research Labs says that I may discard 1 good for just 1 VP, while Plague World says that I may discard 1 good for 1VP & 1 Card.. Which one should I follow? Then, what would I gain in that case? Thanks for helping..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
A further, minor issue, is if this is happening on the round after a Produce call occurred and ELC was your start world, then why doesn't ELC also have a good on it?

During Produce *all* production worlds without a good receive a good on them. Both ELC and Plague World are production worlds (with solid colored -- not gray or white -- circles) and now should each have a good.

During Consume, goods on worlds get converted into VP chips using consume powers (representing the consumer demand from your citizens for these goods -- supplying them goods makes them happy, as measured in VP chips).

With Research Labs, ELC, and Plague World, and two goods in place -- a Novelty good on ELC, and a Genes good on Plague World -- and three potential consume powers -- consume a Genes good on Research Labs for 1 VP, consume a Genes good on Plague World for 1 card and 1 VP, and consume any kind of good on ELC -- and Consume 2x called, typically, a player will first activate Plague World's consume power, converting the Genes good into 2 VPs (due to Consume 2x) and a card, followed by activating ELC's consume power to convert the Novelty good into another 2 VP chips.

You then have one consume power remaining (on Research Labs) representing additional demand for Genes goods, but no more Genes goods, so you then stop.

(You could, in theory, instead activate ELC's consume power first and convert Plague World's Genes good into 2 VPs. Then, you would be left with a single Novelty good on ELC that you are unable to consume, since your two remaining consume powers only work for Genes goods. This is both inefficient and unlikely -- since having a single Novelty good on hand is rarely useful -- but is a legal outcome of the Consume phase.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Tan
Indonesia
Balikpapan
East Borneo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, so even if I have 10 cards on my tableau, with lots of good, but none of them have a consume power, I consume nothing at that phase?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
That is correct. If none of the cards in your tableau have consume abilities, your goods would remain on your planets. Do keep in mind you are considering all worlds and developments in your tableau, not just the worlds-with-goods.

All that happens in a consume phase is that all of your consume abilities each try to 'fire' once (in an order of your choosing). If you have no consume abilities there are none to fire and your consume phase ends with no change to the state of your tableau.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.