Bill August
United States
Carlisle
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In what I can only describe as the most surreal gaming experience ever, I participated in a 5 player game of BSG that was interupted by a visit from the Fire Department. Here is the strange but true story....

The players:

Me: Zarek (human)
Greg: Chief (Cylon)
Gary: Apollo (human)new player
Jessie: Starbuck (human)
Richard: Adama (human)

With a quick rules instruction for Gary we were off! Immediately we are beset with multiple Basestars and tons of raiders and two heavy raiders closing in on us. We are making little to no progress on the jump track. During this first wave, Greg is playing amazingly as the Cylon. On the few non military crisis cards we are getting, we are all working together and I'm really believing that there are no Cylon out yet. All the while, Greg is hoarding a high number card outside his usual skill set to play on us at the worst possible time, which he will.

After taking a pounding on our resource dials, we make our first jump, distance two. The second "round" goes much like the first as we draw more and more Cylon attack cards. We lose a number of Vipers to damage and two civilian ships with double resource losses on them. Things are looking grim as we limp to the -3 jump status. We decide to make an emergency jump and of course lose the roll. We are red across the board except food, with population and morale at 4 each. The jump cards are both the same and only for 1 space. Truly, the resource board reflects the game to this point like a mirror. We have been hounded and hunted, losing both people and hope.

The third round starts a bit easier and we continue to make some progress towards what looks like an easy jump.

This is when things get crazy...

Suddenly, a stranger pounds on the door yelling that one of our cars is on fire. Naturally, we think he must be insane, drunk or both. Rushing to the door, sure enough Richard's car is billowing flames and smoke. His car, which has sat idle for four hours, is engulfed in flames! His car is parked in the middle of the driveway, in the middle of four other cars and way to close to the house for comfort.

So picture people scrambling to move their cars, Greg running to grab and connect the garden hose and generally everyone being frantic. Gary, in what I can only describe as a act of bravery, takes the lead on the garden hose and gets water on the fire, reducing it but not putting it out!

We are all concerned that the gas tank may blow, but thanks largely to Gary, the fire is dampened enough to be managed quickly by the fire department that soon arrived.

Richard took the whole event in stride and way better than I think I would have. He expressed his gratefulness that no one was hurt and that nobody else's cars were damaged. He even reflected that he felt a bit lucky that it had happened where it did as it could have happened in his garage at home.

As the excitement began to die down, I was thinking that we had just cause to end the game night a bit early. In a moment that should be recognized as true gaming awesomeness, Richard declares that we might as well finish the game. So with a blacken and ruined car in the driveway, we returned to our desperate situation.

Greg very cleverly dumped two skill checks that hurt our morale, getting it to two, all the while making string arguments against Jessie. We were trying to find a way to brig Jessie when it became clear that it was Greg who had been killing us. We could do nothing to stop him, as we had wasted most our cards unsuccessfully trying to brig Greg. The crisis we failed as a result damages morale and Greg on his turn revealed as a Cylon to damage our last of our morale. Game, set, Toaster!

While humanity may have lost in the game, the bravery, compassion for others, and fortitude to handle really bad events was truly on display. It was only a coincidence that the game we were playing was a simulation of those very traits.

In closing, I need to state that the stranger who stopped to tell of of the fire was really the most heroic of all. He had to run past the car to get to the door and it was he who called 911. In an even stranger coincidence, he also happened to be my wife's high school math teacher. Apparently, this was not his first time helping others.

My wife told me that years ago, he was passing by a lake that two children were drowning in when he jumped in and saved them. Amazing.

Forgive any typos. I'm typing this on my phone and will edit when I can.

(edited for grammar, typos, large fingers on an Iphone, and an overly aggressive auto-correction)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Bor
Netherlands
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing call outside your skillset is a good way for a Cylon to stir the pot. This game still has my love. Even after 30 plays

Back to the car - were you able to figure out how the fire was started?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GMOFreePortland.com
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
ii desu. It is good.
badge
No, I have no idea.
mbmbmbmbmb
BerZerg wrote:
Back to the car - were you able to figure out how the fire was started?

So you've ruled out sabotage on the part of the Cylon?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lech Karol Pawłaszek
Poland
Szczecin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great session (and rescue?) report. Richard and Gary acted like "real" Adamas.

Also I really like that you write "Cyclon" :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill August
United States
Carlisle
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. Fixed the ones I saw.blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jose silva
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Artocarpus heterophyllus
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, thats an awesome story!! I can tell you thing: Richard has played in my house several times and I can guarantee that my wife would absolutely FREAK OUT if it had happened here!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Aachen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why did you have only one Cylon in a five player game?

You were lucky that only a car was destroyed. It could have been a Viper!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill August
United States
Carlisle
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We never made it to the half way point to get the other loyalty cards.blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.